WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was very curious. After I swapped the bezel of the M.I.W.G. Mudman, I thought, if the DW-8400 shares the same module as the DW-6900, wouldn't the cases also not be the same.

Pure out of curiosity I removed the bezel and to my suprise I found out the case looked like it was not made off fibre plastic (or what Casio calls the plastic cases), but pure black coated steel! The case itself feels relative heavy, so I thought weighing it and weighing a plasic case would be interesting.

I had that naked DW-003TL (with the bezel already removed, because it was in my "Bezel Washing Machine").

Well, I just found the photo's (including those of it's Battery change it seems). Enjoy,

(Back is just closed with two scres, becaust the back protector needs to be added when the case is closed completely. Note the weight difference of 7 grams between the DW-6900 and the DW-003TL case (or almost 20% more weight in the DW-6900).

And the conclusion.... The case of the DW-6900 does not match the DW-8400 case... Since I had no Mudman with me, I couldn't chaeck out if the cases were interchangable in the bezels. Maybe next time.

Sjors

·
Registered
783 Posts
id like to see you complete this swap sjors. as i am rather interested in wether or not it would work.
great pictures by the way :-!

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi 1414DW6100,

Thanks for your comments. I found it rather stupid myself too that i didn't bring a DW-8400 Mudman with me. I have a rather busy weekend. I hope to have some time to make a swap, I'm curious myself too.

Anyhow, there will be not much time since Sinterklaas (Saint Nicolas) choose our hometown to come on land to visit our country until December 5th. It will be broadcasted live by several national TV stations. A very busy period (same as the chrismas periode other countries I guess).

BTW, looking at your username, a pretty nice happy notice. My first DW-6100, that I have for many years (it was acquired when I just started collecting) always had a failing thermometer function... It ws even reset once at my Casio Service Centre
However, when I found it dead in a box recently I changed the battery. I was very suprised the Thermometer function is suddenly working again

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sjors, Very interesting. It will be even more interesting to find out if the module fits the Mudman bezel. Is the DW-6900 a Mudman in disguise? ;-) .
Hi 7s27,

this is a bit worrying me, but it doesn't say it's interchangable...

VS

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
783 Posts
HI SJORS,
haha thats kinda funny you mention the thermometer working again. because i remember reading, if im not mistaken on your g-people website that it actually stopped working a while back.
great to hear its working again, i still love the watch even though my frogman,mudman, and dw5600e replaced it for a daily watch.
i actually swithced the module with my green mudman and my cream one. it looks kinda cool to see a green mudman with a white face and the cream one with a reverse display and black face.
anyways, i hope your weekend is great SJORS! :-!

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HI SJORS,
i actually swithced the module with my green mudman and my cream one. it looks kinda cool to see a green mudman with a white face and the cream one with a reverse display and black face.
anyways, i hope your weekend is great SJORS! :-!
Wow, Don't you have pictures of that? I would love to see that!:-! I know the Club Style G-7500, which is creme with a negative display and looks great, so I can imagine the creme muddy with negative display will be very nice looking!

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
783 Posts
just for SJORS =]

Wow, Don't you have pictures of that? I would love to see that!:-! I know the Club Style G-7500, which is creme with a negative display and looks great, so I can imagine the creme muddy with negative display will be very nice looking!

Cheers,

Sjors
hi SJORS,

i took these pictures JUST for you! :-! because i actually swithced everything back last night and never got to take a picture. so when i read your post, i thought id just go ahead and switch the bezels over to show you what itd look like. something simple but i like both looks :-D

-best wishes

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
for ...1414DW6100....

Hi 1414DW6100,

That 's a super mod. Actually they look great both!!! THere has been talked about switching bezels and straps before here, but you actually did it and it looks great:-!:-!:-!,

Thanks for sharing,

I actually took a pic for you yesterday, but forgot to post it. Well, here it is, my working first DW-6100 (I love the white section of the "dial". (if someone has a better name for it...)...

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
783 Posts
thats a great picture SJORS! :)
the dw6100 was my first g shock. got it in elementry and still have it today.
mines is the black dial though, its funny. i rarely see any white faces. yours was the first actually. but on top of that i didnt even know they come in diff colors like the camo or some wierd brown or something iv seen from another member.
:gold for you :-!

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi 1414DW6100,

there are pretty much variations released between 1992 and 1994 (smoke, blue, yellow/black. Mine is a regular European version, I'm not sure if the white face version was released in the U.S. The black one is pretty common seen worldwide. The Camoflage pattern versions (G-Python series) were released in 2002. If I'm right with a different module, that cannot switch between ºF and ºC.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hello 1414Dw6100,
That negative display cream mudman looks great.|>
A question for Sjors; have you in all these years of opening up a g-shock stripped a thread? That's my major concern when dealing with them. I suppose if you ever did, you could always loc-tite. Although it becomes an issue later on I guess.

Excellant thread and great pictures Sjors.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hi 1414DW6100,

there are pretty much variations released between 1992 and 1994 (smoke, blue, yellow/black. Mine is a regular European version, I'm not sure if the white face version was released in the U.S. The black one is pretty common seen worldwide. The Camoflage pattern versions (G-Python series) were released in 2002. If I'm right with a different module, that cannot switch between ºF and ºC.

Cheers,

Sjors
Hi SJORS,

do you have any pictures of these various DW6100's?
I would love to see them, because if i do a search on google not too much comes up. that smoke one you speak of sounds like a looker :)

Hi Resin,

thanks! i decided to leave the negative display liek that as i am too lazy to switch it back, and also i dont want to switch the bezel too much because it might strip the holes for the screws.:rodekaart

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A question for Sjors; have you in all these years of opening up a g-shock stripped a thread? That's my major concern when dealing with them. I suppose if you ever did, you could always loc-tite.
Hi RB,

How are you;-) I never accidentally stripped a thread (I assume you do mean the screw thread as we translated in Dutch call it here). You quiet need some force, but on the other hand it's also not too difficult to do. I always screw my screws until they can't go further without force and then apply gently a little more force. As for the backif you look close enough you see it sink into the rubber seal a bit. This must be sufficient. I have tested it for waterproof 200m water resist and it worked. For the case screws I am even more carefull. These threads tend to strip easier than back scews, but the resin or rubber parts of the bezel actually lock these screws already, so extra force isn't really needed. I actually learned this by trial and error, so I don't know if it's standard. If anyone has better or more expirienced vview on this topic, please share,

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hi RB,

How are you;-) I never accidentally stripped a thread (I assume you do mean the screw thread as we translated in Dutch call it here). You quiet need some force, but on the other hand it's also not too difficult to do. I always screw my screws until they can't go further without force and then apply gently a little more force. As for the backif you look close enough you see it sink into the rubber seal a bit. This must be sufficient. I have tested it for waterproof 200m water resist and it worked. For the case screws I am even more carefull. These threads tend to strip easier than back scews, but the resin or rubber parts of the bezel actually lock these screws already, so extra force isn't really needed. I actually learned this by trial and error, so I don't know if it's standard. If anyone has better or more expirienced vview on this topic, please share,

Cheers,

Sjors
Hi Sjors,
Fine as I can be. Man you've been busy with all these great how to threads:-!

You see it's the "carefully" part that I have trouble with;-) . All thumbs on this end. To be honest, I just feel more comfortable if it was metal on metal. I wouldn't have thought the case screw backs were more trouble.:think: Learn something neew everyday I guess.
Thanks Sjors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts