WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, how are you? I am writing to you because I just cleaned my DW 6900 and I was surprised by the marks that I have made only by supporting the pin in the case to mount the strap.

Has it ever happened to you? is it normal to leave these marks? or is it that casio is manufacturing the cases with low quality resin? I have changed many straps and armis in steel cases and have never scratched any.

Have to say that the photos are with zoom

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
The resin scratches easily. In fact a lot of them have scratches there due to factory assembly. it is just cosmetic and the lugs are tough and will not break.

I used to get hung up on this back in the early 2000's when i started getting more G-Shocks but then I realized the following:

1. Most have this from the factory
2. It is not going to hurt the lugs and will not cause the lugs to crack
3. it is a cosmetic thing that I cannot see 99% of the time

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
yes
when you put back the strap, that is the wrong way to push the springbar in
instead, push it from where the strap meets the case, the 30 degree angle

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The resin scratches easily. In fact a lot of them have scratches there due to factory assembly. it is just cosmetic and the lugs are tough and will not break.

I used to get hung up on this back in the early 2000's when i started getting more G-Shocks but then I realized the following:

1. Most have this from the factory
2. It is not going to hurt the lugs and will not cause the lugs to crack
3. it is a cosmetic thing that I cannot see 99% of the time
Many many thanks for your thoughts, now i know i'm not the only one. But i think this shouldn't happen to a brand that stands out for its reputation for being indestructible. Maybe the lugs aren't going to crack but is a bit ugly.

Many thanks my friend

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
CASIO's lugwork has always been tripe. I don't understand why they don't just use normal springbars like everyone else so you can use the straps you want.
*edit; probably because of the resin case which is weak and can't hold a springbar

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
G-Shock resin is...resin. I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything else. It's not indestructible nor has it ever been advertised as such.

It looks like somebody scratch the heck out of their lugs with a screwdriver while changing out straps. Metal is harder than resin, hence a scratch.

Basic materials science.

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
youre scraping metal over plastic, what do you expect?? haha 🤷‍♂️🙄

from the look of the pics you either have poor technique and or dont have the correct tools. this also looks like repeated failed attempts of impatience and frustration lol.
you wont have this problem if you use a good quality spring bar tool while pressing it in so that it clears the lug.
also if theres gunk in the lug then theres prob gunk in the springbar, cleaning both will prob help too.

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
CASIO's lugwork has always been tripe. I don't understand why they don't just use normal springbars like everyone else so you can use the straps you want.
*edit; probably because of the resin case which is weak and can't hold a springbar
what are you on about? that majority of Gs use springbars. theyre also alot beefier than whats found on alot of other watches.
millions of resin cases would prob disagree with you on that one

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
G-Shock resin is...resin. I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything else. It's not indestructible nor has it ever been advertised as such.

It looks like somebody scratch the heck out of their lugs with a screwdriver while changing out straps. Metal is harder than resin, hence a scratch.

Basic materials science.
Yes i know , but I was amazed at how easily these cases get scratched. In my DW 9052 this has never happened I have changed the straps several times

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
youre scraping metal over plastic, what do you expect?? haha 🤷‍♂️🙄

from the look of the pics you either have poor technique and or dont have the correct tools. this also looks like repeated failed attempts of impatience and frustration lol.
you wont have this problem if you use a good quality spring bar tool while pressing it in so that it clears the lug.
also if theres gunk in the lug then theres prob gunk in the springbar, cleaning both will prob help too.
Hello Tetsu, maybe i don't have the prooper tool (i have a chinese one, waiting to buy the bergeon) but i can tell you that i have change many straps in my life and i think my technique is good enough to change a strap on a G, never made a micro scratch on any stainless steel case and on my old DW 9052 this never happened.

I like G's and i'm starting a collection, but this has left me worried, the photos are zoomed and if you see without zoom you can hardly see, but the damage is there and it's inevitable to think that it is there.

Has this ever happened to you in your Gs?

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Hello Tetsu, maybe i don't have the prooper tool (i have a chinese one, waiting to buy the bergeon) but i can tell you that i have change many straps in my life and i think my technique is good enough to change a strap on a G, never made a micro scratch on any stainless steel case and on my old DW 9052 this never happened.

I like G's and i'm starting a collection, but this has left me worried, the photos are zoomed and if you see without zoom you can hardly see, but the damage is there and it's inevitable to think that it is there.

Hahahah in reference to the bolded section above, then why does it matter?
Also, damage? That is suggestive of possible malfunction...no, that will not affect its performance at all. Lastly, I’ve gouged the lugs on a G significantly actually (my first strap change was a bit of a nightmare), and it was all ME. I will say this though, G straps and spring bars are a bit of a pain in the ass compared to dozens of other watches I’ve owned...not necessarily to remove but to reinstall and they take a bit of finessing and experience to get right. I’m guessing this is just a byproduct of inexperience with Gs. That isn’t a criticism, I’m just saying Gs are a bit different in my opinion and can take a bit of getting used to.

Reactions: Tetsu Tekubi

·
Registered
8,419 Posts

the cheapies do the job (used them for years) but its not fun and you need to take extra care, the hack marks on the springbar notches show it wasnt enjoyable for you either but your life will be completely changed when you get a bergeon one, its a thing of beauty and makes it so much easier to do the swaps.
your technique may be adequate to get it done but if youre dragging it over the resin, it needs some work. a better tool will help with that too (gives a better grip so youre not using as much force). also keep in mind that its not the resins fault of being "cheaper" it could just be the spring bar is sharper or isnt retracting enough to clear the lug re: my comment about the gunk.

COMPLETELY nothing to worry about, im not even sure what there is to worry about. the hole isnt damaged and even if it was, youd still need alot of force to pop it out.

i have had this a few times when i was starting out, which is why i know ;) it can also happen when swapping a brand new band onto a brand new watch, nothing has had time to settle/wear so its all a very tight fit. doing that last minute as youre running out the door to dinner with the missus in the car honking can also get you a couple scratches 😜but unless you plan on wearing your watch upside down with a magnifying glass for everyone to see, all will be fine (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts