WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd put another of my DW 9000 refurb jobs up to post. I have an affection with DW 9000's, they're big, chunky hard wearing vintage G's. This is one I bought back from the dead! Hope you enjoy! Commments good or bad welcome, was my first dye job. Will be another DW 9000 G-Lide to follow shortly, this time, blue, because I've always wanted a blue one!:)
When I got it, filthy thing!!! Took alot of cleaning!!

Cleaned up and dyed ready for painting!!

All finished! painted letters in gold, and the the "G" button in red to suit the watch! One of my fav's.
A DW 9000 bought back from the dead, ready to be worn for another decade or two! I love it!!!!:) Got another of the same series on the way DW 9000 G-lide, that im gonna dye blue, i'll keep you posted!!:)

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Ooh - nice! How did the dying affect the resin? Did you heat it up on the stove or just put it in after heating? I'm only asking because the bezel looks like it was not far away from the dreaded resin-rot and maybe dying would even have a positive effect on preserving the resin and making it more flexible - like some people did with their G-90XX Mudman models - boiling them to make the buttons easier to press.

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think just the whole dyeing process did it the world of good! Generally, if you boil anything, it will kill the bacteria/rot eating away at the resin, so it can oly be a good thing! I cleaned it up as best i could with my usual cleaning agent that i use on all my dirty G's Surgical spirit. It truely is the best that I know of for cleaning. There may be better out there, but for the ease of finding and cheapness, surgical spirit is the best in my opinion. This G was exeptionally filthy, the worst I have come across yet. But, as you can see, it has come up well!!:)

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Great job! Looks like a new watch. BTW, "resin rot" is not actually "rot" per se. It is a depolymerization of the resin caused by a variety of factors over time. I would not recommend boiling for too long. And especially be careful when submerging the band keepers in boiling water. They can melt in a few seconds.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Congrats, looks fantastic!!! A whole new watch, like you said, ready for another decade of wear!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great job! Looks like a new watch. BTW, "resin rot" is not actually "rot" per se. It is a depolymerization of the resin caused by a variety of factors over time. I would not recommend boiling for too long. And especially be careful when submerging the band keepers in boiling water. They can melt in a few seconds.
Nice one for the info! I'm fairly new to this stuff, so any knowledge is greatfully taken! :)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I just received my first pack of red RIT after many black Dying projects - i have a jelly Baby G to test the waters.
I really like teh outcome on your DW 9000, although my mods usually turn out darker.

It´s really astonishing how much dirt and grime can hide under a Bezel - i actually had one G-3010 that was so stuffed full of dirt under the buttons that it did no longer work - it looked clean and revealed it´s dirty secret when i dismantled it to clean it toroughly and address the malfunctioning button.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts