WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I recently aquired a DW-9000S-8V Surfblaster G-Lide. After getting it, I scrubbed it all up, and while disassembling noticed that one of the caseback screws is missing.

I used a project watch of mine to replace the screw, but where can these ultra-small screws be purchased?

Also, while replacing the original battery (which was still keeping time, kept the EL functioning...well the EL barely worked) I noticed there was no small spring in the module. I didn't think anything of it, but after reassembiling all the newly cleaned parts, it's completely silent. All features work, except that button presses and the alarm are completely silent. Is this because of the lack of the small spring?

One interesting note about this watch, is that in the timer mode, there is a small "Surfing" that appears. It's kinda cool :-! (though I don't surf).

Courtesy of Sjors, here's what the watch looks like (wrist shots will follow eventually):
It's the 2nd one in from the right.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's some shots of the "Surfing" timer :)

Reactions: ruizjaime26

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
I'm not sure about the screws. I think other people have had luck calling up Casio and asking them for screws. Failing that, try a hardware store. You never know. There are also a few stores you could try for parts. I can't remember most of them, only this one:

http://www.casiosalesandservice.com/

I really like the module, but I hate the double clasp. It's a nightmare for me to put on and take off.

Not sure about the spring. Not all watches have a coil spring. Some just have a raised bit of metal that contacts the case back. I haven't taken my DW-900 apart so I can't really say for sure. Was there sound before you took the watch apart?

This is mine:

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No, there was no sound before I took it apart. I know what you mean about the double clasp. It looks great once on, but it's a bugger to get the strap weaved thru the retainers.

Good thing it's easy to throw on a Zulu :).

Does yours say something interesting when in the CDT mode?

And yours looks like the "Beachmaster"?

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
I get the "surfing" title like on yours in CDT. Yes, it's the Beachmaster, as pictured in the catalogue. Expensive at DM149.

Sounds like someone was fiddling with the back of the watch and lost the spring and screw. If Casio can't help, try your local watch/jewellery shop.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, $149USD? That is expensive.

I just called, but don't have the watch with me. Do you know/have the module number? Sounds like I'll have to buy a screw. It'll be interesting to see how much it is.

I do remember that there is a small metal arm bent up to contact the caseback. Maybe it's not making a good connection. I'll have to look at it again tonight, maybe clean the two contacts with an eraser, and gently bend up the arm a little.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! So it is missng...

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
I'm sure your local watch shop can get hold of one. It must be one of the most requested items after battery changes and straps.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
As for the screws.... before you order them, try asking around at computer repair shops or electronics shops. I'm sure they've probably got a container sitting around somewhere with 5000 of the things. I would imagine Casio probably charges you through the nose for them.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
You can get or use any screw as if it's same size as g-shock side screw and if your watch don't make any sound then open it and check if an small spring and if there then you need to reset watch by two small screw drivers as V upside down and make sure two screwdriver are touching each other and one on ac on circut board and other on battery for an couple seconds then check the front of watch after close the watch or if an small spring was'nt there then you can use any tiny spring from other watch.The module is 1627 and those do make noise after press mode button.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the tips. i knew that, but another reader might not. i'm currently sourcing a screw and a small spring, as i dont have either laying around.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
A couple of tips I've seen on this forum: screws from an old/broken Nokia phone might fit. You may be able to use the spring from inside a spring bar, and cut it to the right length.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
I really think Ernie should start selling G-Shock parts.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well...I just decided to cannibalize an old DW-6900 for a screw and the spring (but it seems a little long). The case went back on fine, and now all the sounds work!

Now what to do with the old 6900. I bought a replacement for it, and I'm just not sure. The bezel is cracked below one of the pushers, and I junked the strap due to resin rot. Plus, there is a pretty good size scratch in the crystal...Ideas??

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
Take the module out and create your own custom watch/desk clock/something imaginative.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Save any potentially re-usable parts before binning it.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Take the module out and create your own custom watch/desk clock/something imaginative.
I like that DJ. I'll have to see what my imagination can do :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts