WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum as I'm looking fo some info. I've been given an old Dw G shock watch from my dad, not sure of the model yet but he reckons it's mid 1980s, he was going to thow it out, but it needs new parts and renovating. Where is the best place to get cases etc for these watches. I think the square shape cases are the best, I'm going to get him a new model so what should I buy??????

·
Registered
545 Posts
It would depend on what features he wants in the watch but overall I would say a Mudman, rather than the 9052 that many push on here simply because it has a lower profile, it is very light and model dependant a nice clear display. The strap is reasonably comfortable the only 'fault' is the buttons are a little stiff to operate. Very long term if and only if the case suffers from rot the 5th button light will be the first part to die. I am surprised that a similar arrangement to the other 4 buttons wasn't carried through to the light button.

Post a picture of the watch so it can be identified then parts can be offered or not as the case may be.

Oh and welcome.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I am surprised that a similar arrangement to the other 4 buttons wasn't carried through to the light button.
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here, but how does it differ?

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Welcome, Des! :-!

If you think the square cases are the best, then the 5600E is the obvious choice. It offers all the basic functions, has a heritage stretching back to the first G-Shock, and is... cheap.

A chunky round equivalent of the 5600 would be the 9052.

If you want to go for an all-singing and dancing modern model, I would recommend the Gulfman GW-9100, which has solar power and sets itself by radio against the atomic clock (assuming you are within reception range).

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Some pictures would definitely help us out. Front and back are always appreciated.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here, but how does it differ?

The function buttons on the Mudman are covered with a membrane of in most cases of a different colour plastic where as the light button is part of the case with thin plastic areas to allow it to move. So that thin plastic could rot and then the case itself would be U/S. Does that make more sense now?

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Does that make more sense now?
Yes, I understand what you're saying now, but it doesn't seem to be any weaker than the other button coverings. Just from looking at it, I'd say that thin area around the light button was as thick as the membranes over the other 4 buttons. You could be right, but to my mind if the membranes over any of the other buttons wore through, it would still mean replacing the whole outer covering. :think:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts