WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
G-Shock | Zelos | Tudor
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
It's been a while since I posted on here about watches. I decided to trade, buy, and sell my way down to 7 watches which are as follows: MRG1100-2, GWFA1000BRT, GWFD1000NV, GW9400-1BJF, and GW5000. I really want one more and had the DW5000C in mind for a while now...until I stumbled upon the DW5600C-9V. The square format, the gold buttons, the screwback, the display all appeal to me and would like to know more information about these watches such as the condition they usually come in, how rare they are to get, common problems, upkeep, sourcing the watch itself and the hardware, and the expenses I would be looking at. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
Hey guys,
It's been a while since I posted on here about watches. I decided to trade, buy, and sell my way down to 7 watches which are as follows: MRG1100-2, GWFA1000BRT, GWFD1000NV, GW9400-1BJF, and GW5000. I really want one more and had the DW5000C in mind for a while now...until I stumbled upon the DW5600C-9V. The square format, the gold buttons, the screwback, the display all appeal to me and would like to know more information about these watches such as the condition they usually come in, how rare they are to get, common problems, upkeep, sourcing the watch itself and the hardware, and the expenses I would be looking at. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance for your help.
@babyivan is right, but it wasn't too much of a restoration, just battery, gasket and new resins.

Read on below for my experiences and self taught knowledge, in order of what I think of to say next.

There's no definitive condition on these old G's, (any model of the 5xxxC), but you'll obviously be very lucky indeed to find a mint one, especially as a good number will be selling with no bezel. I got all of mine from Ebay. Depending on what model you want and what condition you want it to be in can mean a long game of patient trawling through the search pages!!

No bezel can cause issues like more chance of the crystal being scratched and bent buttons! I have never been brave enough, or found the time, to polish marks out of any of mine. Scratches don't phase me too much, but I personally wouldn't go for one that was so bad it REALLY affected the view of the display. The buttons can be gently bent straight with pliers.

The screwbacks can also be damaged, so look out for scratches and gouges on them where people haven't used the correct tool to unscrew them.

Check the gasket, either if it even has one, and if so the condition. A lot come with the original one. If so they are usually pretty flat after so long in the watch. Saying that, I've kept the old gaskets in some of mine and they've not leaked. You can always test by taking the module out, resealing the watch and submerging in water for a while.

The original gaskets, screws and spring bars can still be supplied by Casio so if you ever need any just PM me and I can contact Casio UK to find out up to date prices. They seem to be the only ones who actually sell spares to the public. The prices are pretty cheap too!

New bezels will have to be aftermarket, but new, genuine straps are still easily available on Ebay, however they only seem to come with the gold buckle. I get straps for around £12. Bezels from Brazil are usually around $25.

The buttons can often be very gummed up and hard to press, just because of dirt and grime usually. Believe it or not I've actually never taken buttons out, I usually clean well with warm soapy water with a toothbrush and then if still not smooth, I'll apply a small amount of silicone oil to the stem from the inside of the case. They can obviously be removed if you prefer, just take a note of the order of washer, spring and two o-rings.

Take care when putting the module back in on these, I can guarantee the button contacts will get stuck on the buttons, just use a small screwdriver or tweezers to push the contacts in as you seat the module.

Make sure the rubber spacer is also present that sits between module and screwback.

The gold models obviously go for more than the silver, as a guide I might pay up to £80-100 depending on condition. There are two models of the gold 5600C also. The C-9V has gold screws and a thin gold, unbroken line around the display, with a "standard" grey LCD. Then there's the, (nicer I think), C-9CV, this has the gold buttons as well but then a gold line around the display which is inside a wider grey line, broken at the top by the Casio logo. This one also has a gold LCD. Check my recent "DW-5xxxC Family" thread and you can see both side by side.

Once you've got one up and running it's the same as any other G really, a battery change every few years and that's about it! I call them bomb proof.

If I've forgotten anything I'm sure others can also chip in.

I hope that's all ok above, any more Q's either add them here or PM me.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey guys,
I guess the DW5200C-9 have the same style you like....
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
G-Shock | Zelos | Tudor
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also check out the Casio DW5600D-1
Pretty much a Casio DW5600C-9V, but with 20 Bar instead of 200 M.
-A really nice watch in gold style.

(web -picture)
Thank you for the Suggestion. I was looking into that watch as well as it seems to be littered on the site I was using to find the last piece to my collection. I really like the similarity except for the fact that it had a typical case back instead of the screwback I was looking for.

·
Registered
G-Shock | Zelos | Tudor
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess the DW5200C-9 have the same style you like....
Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at that one as well but online pics to compare it to the two I have listed one makes it seem smaller. On top of that, the price is higher than 5600-9V and cheaper than the DW5000 by a bit. plus I wasn't digging the horizontal lines on the bezel. Just detracts from the overall look of the watch IMHO.

·
Registered
G-Shock | Zelos | Tudor
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.