WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back after a long hiatus from the watch hobby, and it seems that the 30th anniversary G-Shock models came and went in my absence; would've loved to have laid hands on a DW5030 to accompany my DW5000 (which I still have, love and wear on occasional weekends). Alas, it seems that they're harder to find nowadays and the ones that are available are sky high in price.

My daily wear is a DW5600E 1545 with a DW5030 crystal that kung-fusion made, for which I happened to be in the right place at the right time to pick up. As much as I like the DW5600E, I find the DW5000 more comfortable to wear overall. I started thinking about another mod to go with this one, partially inspired by the GW5000 spare parts build that was documented in this forum. The idea is to take a DW5600E 1545 donor watch (another one that I have, not the kung-fusion mod) and transplant the internals and resin parts into a DW5030 steel case (assuming of course that I can still acquire one from parts). I'm thinking the route is to buy the case center and case back from spare parts, then take the rest of the works from the donor watch.

As I understand from research, the DW5030 case is identical to the DW5000SL case which also took a 1545 module. There's probably other small parts which I don't know about and haven't considered, so I may be way out in left field with the proposal.

Has anything like this been done before, and do you think it could reasonably be done?

·
Premium Member
14,024 Posts
I've not seen it done nor remember reading about it. But I could have missed it if it was done. Good luck.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sounds like you want to build a DW-5000 1JF from parts. You want a complete 1545 module in a steel case, right? I think it should work unless the speaker moved.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you want to build a DW-5000 1JF from parts. You want a complete 1545 module in a steel case, right? I think it should work unless the speaker moved.
I didn't know of the DW-5000-1JF, but after looking at it, that pretty well sums it up. Pacparts doesn't even list the DW-5000-1JF as an available model though. I'm thinking I read that the reissue screwback cases have been identical across the board from the DW-5000-1JF to the newer DW-5030. Hopefully that's correct info.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
it works, how much for the case and the screwback at pacparts ?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Waiting on parts thus far. I've had the case center on order for about two weeks now along with a spare crystal, bezel screws and resin. None of which were in stock. I had attempted to order three LCDs (one for this project, two for a couple other watches in my collection) and was informed shortly thereafter that they were discontinued, as was the complete module. I get the feeling that I'm going to get the same 'discontinued' notice about the other parts.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If the 1545 module was discontinued, you might be able to make do with a 3229. Years of service should be the only difference between them. I think.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a couple of 1545 modules, so my plan is to use one of them for the build if I can get the other parts. The 1545 has been discontinued for a while, but there's a ton of them floating around in 5600Es and others. The 3229 would probably work too.

·
Premium Member
14,024 Posts
The only difference between the 1545 and the 3229 is the date goes to 2099 on the 3229. The physical shape of the module will be the same, so it will fit.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thread revival with an update on the project. I received two packages today, one from Pacparts, the other from ottovonn. The package from ottovonn contains a DW-5600P-4 which I'll be using as a donor watch for the DW-5030 project. The Pacparts package contains a case center, bezel screws and spring bars. I've already hit a snag. As I understand it from the thread where giorgos mg built his 5030C from spare parts, the case center is meant to come with the case, caseback and gasket. The one I received only had the case itself with the crystal and buttons. No caseback, no gasket, nothing else. I've got an email in to Pacparts about it, so hopefully I'll be able to work something out.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks, giorgos mg. I just received a reply back from Pacparts stating that the case itself is all that was meant to come with that particular part number. I'm not sure why the 5030C case would have all the parts with it, but the 5030-1 case wouldn't. It's really rather odd, but it's a minor setback unless they discontinue the part on me in the meantime. I'll send that picture in to Pacparts and see if that helps my case (pun intended).

EDIT: it seems that the caseback doesn't come with the case center at all, so I'm having to order one. Thankfully, Pacparts tacked it on to a pending order that I have with them, so I won't get dinged with the extra shipping. A case, bezel screws, gasket (I found that I have one spare), and a module...now we're all playing the waiting game. We're good at it by now though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Project DW-5030-1 is a go! I've just finished the build and am proud to report that it came out great. The build process wasn't without its pitfalls and hiccups along the way. I took the time to type out my thoughts along the way, which I'll be posting momentarily along with a set of pictures taken during the build. Without further ado, here we go:

First and foremost, I want to send up a big, heartfelt thanks to shms59 whose help put this project back on track. As I posted previously, the case center I received came without a caseback; this would have set the project back several weeks waiting on the part from Pacparts. In another thread, he mentioned having several spare casebacks, so I inquired of him whether he might be willing to sell one out of his spares to get me going again. He ended up donating one to me, for which I am extremely grateful. This build (and all its hijinks) is dedicated to his generosity.

While waiting for the case center to arrive, I performed some parts research. As we know, and often lament, Casio discontinued the premium 5030 LCD sometime ago. However, I found a way forward: the new DW-5600P-4 and P-9 watches have the same LCD part number as the 5030 in a 3229 module! I found one on F29 and purchased it from ottovonn to be used as the donor watch for the project. My new casebacks arrived today (a day after shms59 hooked me up, another was posted on F29 which I picked up as a spare), so build time is upon me.

Parts loadout:

2015-02-27_19-39-18_237_zpsskybquth.jpg

Pictured is a DW-5030 bezel, case center, DW-5600-P4 donor watch and the DW-5030 caseback. I'm normally not a huge fan of the anniversary caseback designs, but I love this one. It's almost as handsome as me. The rest of the parts loadout includes bezel screws, GW-5000 strap and new caseback gasket.

Case center up close:

2015-02-27_19-42-07_776_zpsy1rsba5g.jpg

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Disassembly of the donor watch. A throwback from my days of taking laptop computers to bits is my use of bottle caps as small parts dishes. Back in my heyday of doing that, I kept a desk drawer full of caps for that purpose. They're excellent to keep tiny bits in and keep them separated. I would put each cap on a shelf off my workbench to keep from banging into them and spilling parts.

2015-02-27_19-44-23_766_zpswr9tr9s0.jpg

Module extracted:

2015-02-27_19-46-36_941_zpsbuowgqc4.jpg

Interior of DW-5030 case center:

2015-02-27_19-47-02_641_zpsjjopdpoz.jpg

Module installed into DW-5030 case center:

2015-02-27_19-49-24_167_zpssmkkykja.jpg

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The new module was installed, but a big problem surfaced. It's noticeable in the picture where the lip of the metal module frame sticks out about a couple of millimeters above the case. The screen ended up sitting pretty far back from the crystal as a result of this as well. Even without the rubber surround, the module simply would not seat into the case. I tried pleading, persuasion, threats and various tricks to try to persuade it into place, but it just wasn't happening. Time to back up and punt.

Enter the stalwart 1545 module:

2015-02-27_20-18-42_445_zpsu127q02a.jpg

As per giorgos mg's build, he used a 1545 module with a 5030 LCD transplanted into it. I have a 5030 LCD that I lucked into in a parts sale, so it's time for the bonus round: module teardown!

The 1545 module laid to bits:

2015-02-27_20-28-17_800_zpspn2yhq7t.jpg

Reassembled with the 5030 LCD and reinstalled in the case. I like the 1545 module assembly process so much better than the 3229.

2015-02-27_20-39-40_587_zpshubnq7ya.jpg

This module fit like a glove. A little persuasion was needed to get the module to sit straight and true, but that's nothing out of the ordinary for these floating modules. Now, time to start buttoning up...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With the gasket lubricated and installed, I started the caseback on by hand and tightened it up using my unpatented, royalty free, homemade caseback wrench:

2015-02-27_20-47-36_243_zpslfguz5sn.jpg

Racquetball wrapped in a wind of duct tape. Works like a charm for loosening and tightening. Time for some glamour shots.

2015-02-27_20-47-41_869_zpsrcettdiq.jpg
2015-02-27_20-47-52_689_zpsctyh4vhd.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts