WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it possible to remove a DW5600C crystal easily? I know the E's crystal can be. I got a C today, and the crystal is "melted" from welding sparks. Although the case is in good condition, minimal scratches on the case back, and I'm told by the seller that the screws can be removed, although I haven't tried it. Also, what I like about it, is that it has a green light, something I din't know until it showed up, so I've been playing with it a bit, although I probably should stop as I worry about the bulb burning out :-d Anyway, I have another C with a better crystal but is missing a screw and has a screw broken off in the case, so I was hoping I could just swap crystals. Here is a quick cell phone pic. It came with generic dw5700 resin, but I swapped to my Brazilian resin. The picture is pretty dark but I think you can still see the significant crystal damage.

gYL1hnSl.jpg

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Crystal probably pushes from the back, like usualy on watches? And there's an o-ring around it.

P.s.: Try to put some WD-40 around the screws when removing them, might help in case there's a possibility they might break.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried pushing it gently but didn't want to use too much force, from what I've read the E crystal comes out easily but wasn't sure how much force is needed for the C so I was hoping someone had done it. As to the screws, I don't need to remove them, so I'm just going to leave them in.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
True, you don't have to remove screws if not neccessary, you can put bezel on by stretching it just a bit more.

As for the crystal, I'm sure someone will know how to do it. Lots of restored 5600cs around here.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I too want to know how to remove a crystal? And, how to install a crystal as well. I know KungFusion has done it. So, he is our hope in answering our questions.

@Kungfusion- Do you mind doing a steps by steps write up on how to remove and install a crystal on 5600C? Please mention what tools are needed? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I don't use real tools so I don't recommend my method. It is kind of hard to explain. It is also easy to damage the old crystal. But if the old crystal is going to be replaced just shatter it. Putting the new one in is easy. Just press. Hard and evenly.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is I don't have a new crystal, I was just going to crystal swap between two 5600s

·
Registered
143 Posts
The problem is I don't have a new crystal, I was just going to crystal swap between two 5600s
Noone has a new crystal, those are very hard to find. Anyway, I have a couple of 5600C that I can practice with. I guess there is no right way of removing a crystal, so it will be a trial and error. I will try to remove some crystals and post back here about the result.

Goodluck!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I haven't done a 5600C specifically, but have done 2 of the 20-25th anniversary DW5000s. I replaced both with brand new crystals, but was attempting to hone the technique to save them for future use. What I did was cut a groove in a piece of scrap 2x4 that was the right size to hold the case while leaving a space under the crystal. Then I used a C-Clamp on the other side of the board and into the case to push the crystal out. First try I wasn't the least bit concerned with saving the crystal, but it came out in one piece. The clamp had torn up some of the artwork on it though. Second try, I still didn't care about the crystal so it was a half hearted effort. I put a piece of cloth between the crystal and clamp. Results were better, but that wasn't the right answer either. I don't think it would be hard to figure out a way to save it though.
This pic shows the removed crystal on the 1st attempt. If you look to the bottom of the removed crystal you can see where there is some damage where it has the little "shock resist" symbol down there. There is actually damage to the clear part also which you just can't see in the pic. Sorry, no pics of the rig I used. I used some scrap wood and probably chucked it afterward. To make it I set the watch face down, marked the edges around the crystal, sawed a kerf at the line on each side and removed the middle with a chisel. Simple groove, just has to be sized correctly so the watch will stay in place while you clamp around it. Deep enough to let the crystal out.

Reactions: woodt3 and G-fob

·
Registered
143 Posts
Noone has a new crystal, those are very hard to find. Anyway, I have a couple of 5600C that I can practice with. I guess there is no right way of removing a crystal, so it will be a trial and error. I will try to remove some crystals and post back here about the result.

Goodluck!

As promised I would come back to this post to give you guys some updates on my results on how to remove a crystal. I thought I had some 5600c watches, but they were 5200 and 5700. Sorry!

That's a C-clamp and a piece of wood, which I cut some part of it to make a saddle for the watch to rest on. At the same time, enough space was created to make room for the crystal when It pops out.

This is how it looks likewhen pushing out the crystal.

This is the wood saddle on closer look.

and....Disaster!!! First try wasn't a success, but I have learned a lot from this. I used a piece of plastic between the C-clamp's pusher and the crystal to spread the force. But, the plastic wasn't thick and strong enough to disperse the force evenly. Therefore, the crystal cracked in the middle, where the force was concentrated.

This is the rubber I used.

Having learned from that mistake above, I made this piece of wood. This wood was a little tricky to make, because It had to be the right size to fit inside the watch's casing.

This is just a piece of thick paper that I used between the wood and crystal to prevent damage to the crystal graphics.

an......Finally! A SUCCESS!!!! YOHOOOOOO! All in all, it took me about 45 minutes to an hour making the wood saddle and wood pusher. It wasn't difficult at all. I knew beforehand that It was going to be a trial and error. I hope to inspire everyone to try removing their crystals for transplanting to other casings. There was no damage to the second crystal. There were already some delaminations on that crystal before it was removed.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I hadn't gotten around to it, now I'm not sure I will, looks too difficult, I was really hoping there was a way to remove it without breaking it

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
As promised I would come back to this post to give you guys some updates on my results on how to remove a crystal. I thought I had some 5600c watches, but they were 5200 and 5700. Sorry!

That's a C-clamp and a piece of wood, which I cut some part of it to make a saddle for the watch to rest on. At the same time, enough space was created to make room for the crystal when It pops out.

This is how it looks likewhen pushing out the crystal.

This is the wood saddle on closer look.

and....Disaster!!! First try wasn't a success, but I have learned a lot from this. I used a piece of plastic between the C-clamp's pusher and the crystal to spread the force. But, the plastic wasn't thick and strong enough to disperse the force evenly. Therefore, the crystal cracked in the middle, where the force was concentrated.

This is the rubber I used.

Having learned from that mistake above, I made this piece of wood. This wood was a little tricky to make, because It had to be the right size to fit inside the watch's casing.

This is just a piece of thick paper that I used between the wood and crystal to prevent damage to the crystal graphics.

an......Finally! A SUCCESS!!!! YOHOOOOOO! All in all, it took me about 45 minutes to an hour making the wood saddle and wood pusher. It wasn't difficult at all. I knew beforehand that It was going to be a trial and error. I hope to inspire everyone to try removing their crystals for transplanting to other casings. There was no damage to the second crystal. There were already some delaminations on that crystal before it was removed.

It looks like the 5600C has a larger opening than the modern DW-5000s. The inner metal lip on those comes in much more. Maybe that additional adhesive kept the crystals from breaking on me. But, that is the same method and similar results as I got. I figured a small piece of wood with something protecting the crystal from scratches would do the job. Good work and thanks for documenting it.
For reinstallation, I made a sandwich wood/watch case/crystal/playing card/wood and put the c-clamp around it to fully seat the crystal into the adhesive underneath.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
There is no adhesive used on these crystals as far as I know. They are held in only by the black plastic retaining gasket.

Sometimes I can get them out and sometimes they break. But if it is a very important crystal and I can't afford to break it (I did this once with a WW-5100 crystal which is worth a lot), then what I will do it take an X-acto knife and score the black retaining gasket multiple times, removing little bits of plastic. I do this over and over, until about half of the plastic is removed. It takes about 15 minutes. Then, when I try to remove the crystal, it comes right out every time with almost no pressure. Only problem with this is that you need to have a spare gasket on hand for when you put the crystal in its new case. I had a bunch, since I bought so many old watches I had plenty of part to scavenge from. (I don't have any more left though, I sold all my vintage stuff)

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
This is a great thread on the topic of crystal replacement. If I was going to do more than one of these, I'd fashion a setup like this -- nice work.

One thing that eludes me -- regarding the insertion of the crystal. Do you put the gasket flush into the opening of the case FIRST, and NEXT press the crystal into place? Or do you put the gasket around the crystal and then press them together into the case?

I have an old MRG-1 where the crystal appears to have been replaced by the previous owner, but they didn't do a good enough job. The crystal is not pushed all the way in and the gasket is protruding. I'm guessing that I'd have to push the glass back out and try from the start, as pressing down as-is seems to only be distorting the gasket.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
not sure what you mean, but yes, the gasket wraps around the crystal, all around

that's what I got from all the 5600's though, not by buying parts from pacparts or anything

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
not sure what you mean, but yes, the gasket wraps around the crystal, all around

that's what I got from all the 5600's though, not by buying parts from pacparts or anything
Sorry, what I meant was how the gasket fits to the crystal edge... if it acts like a shim/spacer, or if it has a an "L" shape whereby the crystal is seated into it (instead of just being border wrapped).

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Sorry, what I meant was how the gasket fits to the crystal edge... if it acts like a shim/spacer, or if it has a an "L" shape whereby the crystal is seated into it (instead of just being border wrapped).
Just around the outer border of the crystal, like a shim. I does not wrap around the back of the crystal whatsoever

1 - 19 of 19 Posts