WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In August 2011, I posted about the DW5600E-1V I had been wearing to work as a mechanic five days a week for one year. That was http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/dw5600e-1v-year-mechanics-wrist-573320.html#post4197975. Another year has passed and the watch is pictured below. It still works fine in every respect, although once this year I thought I saw a faint condensation on the inside of the glass. The watch was protected by layers of clothing for several months each year, so it was spared a few knocks and scratches, but you can see it has been banged around quite a bit. I found the feature I used the most (after answering the question, "What time is it?") was the countdown timer. It was very handy to remind me that a machine had been running long enough to be warmed up, or that the sealant or epoxy or whatever should be set up by now. I used the watch without any regard for its safety for 25 months and now I've retired again. I guess the watch has retired too... although I still have to put that 1970 Triumph Tiger back together...

I guess this year's post should start with a "before" pic:

And here is the watch today:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Despite the damage I am actually very glad to see that this G has had a very useful and productive life. Besides that's nothing that can't be restored, lol

Cheers!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Great story about a truly iconic watch. Thanks for sharing. The great thing about this model is that replacement resin pieces (bezel and strap) are readily available and inexpensive. With those, and a quick polish of the glass, this watch will look good as new. :-!

Cheers!

Dave

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
So, is there is there really condensation inside the watch? Does that mean the rubber gasket failed on the watch?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Every now and then a thread pops up on F17 that just blows my mind and I simply have to bookmark it on my browser. It doesn't happen often, your last thread was already bookmarked. I personally believe If any thread sums up the core values of the Casio G-Shock they would have to go a long way to beat these two threads. Thanks again and keep checking in with us, it's contributions like this that keep me coming back for more.

·
Registered
595 Posts
That's the way they're supposed to be treated!
I've had 5600Cs with more permanent scars than this, and have always been happy to wear them :)

Alex

·
Registered
271 Posts
When people ask me what is so special about G-Shocks, I try to explain to them how tough they are and how they are engineered to take a beating. But they never truly believe me or understand what I'm trying to convey. But I can send them a link to this thread and others like it and everything I said previously will then have meaning and validity.

Excellent post!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
That'll buff out. (standard car guy comment on completely wadded-up vehicle)

Funny thing about G's, it really will be good as new with some buffing and a new bezel.

I somehow managed to scallop my 5600 crystal and so cannot polish it safely, but otherwise you are just getting the watch warmed up if it's still on its first bezel. =-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts