WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone I recently got a 5600MS module and was going to transplant it in an E and I'd like to black out the crystal, similar to this thread http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/stealth-themed-mods-success-thank-you-help-watchuseek-852350.html anyone have any tips on removing the crystal?

Edit: I used a hair dryer and pushed slowly from the back, took me a few minutes before I noticed it was slowly coming out, so I used the hair dryer more then pushed harder and it finally came free.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Removing 5600E crystal

Funny because I started that thread too :p I got the crystal removed, but I don't get how to remove the graphics. The thread I linked to says to scrape it. Currently I am trying a solvent but it doesn't seem to do much, the back of the crystal has black stuff on it that I thought was just paint but it may just need a soak.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts

Funny because I started that thread too :p
Ha! Yes, you did, and I hadn't even noticed!

I got the crystal removed, but I don't get how to remove the graphics.
Sounds as though this thread needs to be retitled, if you've got the crystal out already -- that was FAST! :-!

I've got no ideas or experience with what type of paint that is on the crystal, or what sort of solvent you'll need to get that off. My best guess is "something strong, like turpentine or acetone, PLUS lots of time."

Looking forward to seeing the finished project, though! :)

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Got the crystal paint removed, put a small square of painters tape where there should be no paint, I think the trick will be getting a clean line, removed more paint than I probably should have, if I left more it would be easier to tape off, but I wanted the white line removed and it was hard to be precise. Now the question is, matte black or gloss black for the crystal?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts

Got the crystal paint removed, put a small square of painters tape where there should be no paint, I think the trick will be getting a clean line, removed more paint than I probably should have....
Completely hypothetical since I've never done this with a watch, but I built a ton of plastic models back in the day....

I think the best way to get a clean line (or more specifically, four clean lines) would be to paint the crystal in four stages, with each "stage" being one side of the rectangle. rather than trying to peel one rectangle of tape off cleanly.

Since you're working with crystal and not plastic, though, if you do go with the rectangle: after the paint is dry you can work from the middle of the tape to the outside, rather than trying to lift the tape from the edge and possibly scraping off any of the fresh paint!

Now the question is, matte black or gloss black for the crystal?
The shiny vs. matte finish won't matter since the paint will be on the inside of the glass, but according to the guys at my local hobby shop, flat paint will provide a more opaque layer than gloss, if both paints are put on at the same thickness. (I was asking them because I wanted a bright, opaque white paint for a black G-Shock bezel.) Based on that, I think that I'd go with flat or matte paint.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

I thought about painting each side separately, wasn't sure if it'd come out better that way, I'll try it. I got gloss :/ Interesting flat would be more opaque though.
Completely hypothetical since I've never done this with a watch, but I built a ton of plastic models back in the day....

I think the best way to get a clean line (or more specifically, four clean lines) would be to paint the crystal in four stages, with each "stage" being one side of the rectangle. rather than trying to peel one rectangle of tape off cleanly.

Since you're working with crystal and not plastic, though, if you do go with the rectangle: after the paint is dry you can work from the middle of the tape to the outside, rather than trying to lift the tape from the edge and possibly scraping off any of the fresh paint!

The shiny vs. matte finish won't matter since the paint will be on the inside of the glass, but according to the guys at my local hobby shop, flat paint will provide a more opaque layer than gloss, if both paints are put on at the same thickness. (I was asking them because I wanted a bright, opaque white paint for a black G-Shock bezel.) Based on that, I think that I'd go with flat or matte paint.
Edit: Painting has recommenced for the third and final time. Its looking much better now, although for some reason no matter what I seem to do I can't get it perfectly centered, I think it'll look good nonetheless, pictures will be up after its dry and reassembled.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, the rectangle method worked well, but I damaged the paint trying to put back in the crystal. Is there a trick to getting it in? Can it be done without a press?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Can't get a clean line with the tape I'm using so I may try the rectangle method
"Painter's tape" sounds like a paper-type masking tape, which is great for masking woodwork but I'm not sure how clean a line it would make on a smooth surface like a watch crystal. I'd think a smoother tape like vinyl electrical tape might work better. (Your project is making me want to try this on MY old "stealthed" and negative display modded DW-5600E!)

What sort(s) of solvent worked in taking off the old paint/printing?

In retrospect, do you think it would be possible without removing the crystal?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No it wouldn't be because you can't access parts that are painted. I soaked it in goof off and then scraped it with my finger nail

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No pics yet. I can't get the paint to come out well and even so I'm not sure how to get the crystal back in so until I do I think I'll have to put the project on hold

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone know how to get the crystal back in? I'd rather this not go back into the drawer unfinished

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kung fusion filled me in on how to get the crystal back in, so this project will see completion after all. Now the only problem I have left is the paint, I don't understand how the person I linked to in my first post got since a nice finish, I suppose if there was a way to leave the black and remove the color then only paint over the area you removed, but currently I have a completely clear crystal, no graphics at all. I thought about electrical tape instead of paint but you'd see the seams.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I thought about electrical tape instead of paint but you'd see the seams.
Scotch/3M makes multiple colors of wide "Colored Plastic Tape" which is essentially electrical tape, except it's 1.5" wide. Here it is at Amazon, and I've seen it at my local hardware stores.

In theory, you could cut a piece big enough to cover the crystal, carefully cut out the correct rectangle, and apply it to the back of the crystal. Then the only things you'd have to worry about would be dust, air bubbles, or fingerprints in the adhesive....

It's a possibility, but I think that paint is still probably your best option.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah if I go that route I'd use vinyl that is used on cars for wraps. I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
painting yet again, but not expecting much, painting each section separately gets me a better line, but lifts when I pull the tape, the rectangle method is the easiest but then I don't get clean lines, so perhaps its time for different tape and paint? Not sure what to use maybe try matte black? anyone know if I need a special type of paint? I left it to dry for two hours before moving onto the next section and it still lifted.

·
Registered
143 Posts
painting yet again, but not expecting much, painting each section separately gets me a better line, but lifts when I pull the tape, the rectangle method is the easiest but then I don't get clean lines, so perhaps its time for different tape and paint? Not sure what to use maybe try matte black? anyone know if I need a special type of paint? I left it to dry for two hours before moving onto the next section and it still lifted.
Woodt3, This sounds like a very challenging mod you are doing. The original poster of the thread you linked holds the answer to your problems. I am no help as I haven't done anything like it. I find your posts very interesting though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts