WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen accuracy comparison posts and it seems the standard China DW6900-1V isn't exactly one of the better time keepers. However, I was wondering if the Japanese marked (for example) DW6900MC-7A are any better?

Thanks,
mike

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think a lot of it is luck of the draw as well. The DW-5600E has not done as well as others in these tests and I have a couple that aren't the best timekeepers. However, I have one 5600E that runs +2 sec a month, one of the most accurate G's I own.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
After owning multiple DW-5600E's, DW-6900's and DW-9052's, I've found that the ones with bad timekeeping accuracy tend to come from China and Malaysia. The Japan and Thailand made ones tend to be much more accurate.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Only several of my G-Shocks are what I would call very accurate. My DW5600 is also one of the least accurate. My black Mudman and DW9052 are among the most accurate. They are all accurate enough though. :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
After owning multiple DW-5600E's, DW-6900's and DW-9052's, I've found that the ones with bad timekeeping accuracy tend to come from China and Malaysia. The Japan and Thailand made ones tend to be much more accurate.
Good point, the accurate 5600E I have is indeed Thailand made. I also have a Japan D-5600 which is very accurate @ about +5 sec a month.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've noticed the exact same thing with my Chinese-made DW-6900! It gains more time than any other of my quartz watches by far. Too bad because it's one of my faves.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
All mine have Thailand on the back, yet they all vary in accuracy. :think:

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you have a watch that is off buy more than 5 seconds a month and it bothers you that much you can adjust it. I had a couple that lost 30 or 40 seconds a month even on a fresh battery. That is compared to an atomic updated in the last 12 hours. It took about 3 weeks making small adjustments to the trim screw writing down how far I turned in it and the direction. Then resetting the watch to an atomic that updated within the last 12 hours. And making sure to write the gain or loss each day for the watch. And making sure not to loose parts. I left them apart on the table because I did not want to open them every day to make the adjustment. In the end I got each down to plus or minus 3 4 seconds a month. It just took some time and patience.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
If you have a watch that is off buy more than 5 seconds a month and it bothers you that much you can adjust it.
I've done this to get a messed up G-Shock back to around 30 seconds a month, though I personally don't have the patience to get it to within 5 seconds. It's a good idea if you're not bothered about wearing the watch for quite a long time, and you want that kind of accuracy, and it's easy enough to do.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not an accuracy freak or anything like that. But if I can spend another $10-$15 on a Japanese made 6900 and get a little better accuracy, hey why not? :) Probably get a DW6900MC-6A or 7A and put on a stock DW6900 bezel and strap. Maybe do a stealth treatment like Buzzbait did, I really like the looks of that.

Thanks again for all the input,
mike

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I'm not an accuracy freak or anything like that. But if I can spend another $10-$15 on a Japanese made 6900 and get a little better accuracy, hey why not? :)
I tend to agree, though I've yet to see overwhelming evidence that Japanese ones are more accurate than Thai ones. :think:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tend to agree, though I've yet to see overwhelming evidence that Japanese ones are more accurate than Thai ones. :think:

Actually ..... I suppose it really isn't all that big of a deal. I mean, it's not like it's all that hard to re-set one of these things. Break down the $10-$15 and it could cost upwards of a $1 a second for a wee bit more accuracy! Besides, the $10-$15 could go towards a second G-Shock. :-!

mike

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I agree. There is no doubting the subjective experience of members who have watches of varying accuracy, but there is no real reason to favour watches made in a particular country - especially as some watches are assembled from parts originating in different countries.

I think I have owned watches made in all of Casio's production plants, and have never noticed a significant difference. Japan-made models have certainly not been more accurate than those made elsewhere.

We don't want to start an urban myth. ;-)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I've had a DW-6900 for a number of years. It's made in China and runs very fast (+5 secs/day). I love the style of 6900's and I've always just put up with the gaining.

THEN... last week I aqcuired a stealthed-out 6900. The base module is the DW-6900MC, and is made in Japan. The accuracy is MUCH better than my other 6900 - this one gains 1 second over about 4 days.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think I have owned watches made in all of Casio's production plants, and have never noticed a significant difference. Japan-made models have certainly not been more accurate than those made elsewhere.
Absolutely! I've got a handful of older Japan models and a few newer Thailand models and my wife as well with Baby-Gs from those origins. They are of wildly varying precision (ranging from <1 sec/week to 8+ secs/week), but I definitely cannot nail it down to the watch origin.

·
Registered
472 Posts
So, I think it's fairly safe to assume that the DW-6900 is not the most accurate of G's but I'm interested in knowing whether or not the DW-9052 is in the same boat as far as accuracy goes. If i got one should I expect the same accuracy, better or even worse? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
So, I think it's fairly safe to assume that the DW-6900 is not the most accurate of G's but I'm interested in knowing whether or not the DW-9052 is in the same boat as far as accuracy goes. If i got one should I expect the same accuracy, better or even worse? Thanks in advance!
I don't know but in my opinion a quartz movement (any quartz actually) should be always precise enough to keep time within +/- 6 seconds per month. it is just a matter of how well it is regulated. once it is, the 32768 oscillations per second should keep it right on schedule.

imagine if a month (lets say 30 days) has 2.678.400 seconds and a watch gain/losses 6 seconds in that time period, then you have an abberation of only 0,000224% - a pretty good value if you ask me.

regards, holger

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I agree. There is no doubting the subjective experience of members who have watches of varying accuracy, but there is no real reason to favour watches made in a particular country - especially as some watches are assembled from parts originating in different countries.

We don't want to start an urban myth. ;-)
Sure we do! Then Adam and Jamie on MythBusters can do a TV show about these watches.. ;-)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Reviving an old thread...

My relatively new 6900 gains about 1.5 seconds a week. It is a Korean watch (dunno if that means anything). I dont think a loss/gain of 6-8 seconds a month is anything to be concerned about, paticularly when Casio's own tolerance is +/- 15 seconds per month.

I am very happy indeed.

Nobby

1 - 20 of 26 Posts