WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have the chance to purchase an used jelly frogman. It looks transparent no more, it has become very very yellowish, so if I buy I know it I'll have to dye it. In fact, right now looks pretty ugly.

I think I would use black tint. Guess I'll have to be generous with it, because band and bezel look really yellow. I My question is: Afert dying, will it become matte black? Or more like the "man in smoke" / "ocean grey" thing? Sorry if it is a noob question, but I've never dyed a G before.

So, anyone has experience using black tint on yellowished jelly G-shocks? Pictures would be REALLY welcome, mates.

Also, if you have dyed your yellowished jelly G-shock using other colors different than black I'd love to see 'em.

Thanx a bunch in advance,

G.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Here's one I did.
I think the bottom line is you can make it as smoke gray or as dark as you want to. I've never dyed a yellowed jelly, only a clear(Glorius Gold).
I'd say go for it.
Make a full strength black bath and dip it a few times. If you don't like the gray go darker, you'll be able to tell immediately how it looks. If you're not happy with it put it back in the bath.....
Good luck and post some pics,
Chris
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=219005&highlight=smoked+frog

·
Registered
179 Posts
hey godizded, im looking to dye my frogman as well. i was thinking dark blue or dark green, but im having trouble taking off the bezel. as for your question, i think it should be more matte/flat black cause its a jelly and not metallic or anything. i hope it turns out well!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the pics and the advice, Onrypt! As Charge says, I think for my watch I should use more tint to erradicate the ugly yellow jelly.

Another question, please. Once you dye a G, what happens if you swim with it? Does the tint fade away? Also, if it rains or you wash your hands, is it possible that the tint goes away and stains your sleeves?

Thanx!

G.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I've dyed one and don't wear it all the time but I have noticed no indications that the dye is going to fade or wear off in any way.

The only thing I've even seen like this are reports on this forum that white watches have pulled stuff in from red shirts or other colors from their surroundings. Never heard of it going the other way ...from the watch to something else. So I think you're pretty much permanently dying the plastic with very little if any risk of it fading or bleaching out onto other materials. In fact I don't even think you can bleach it out if you tried or you'd see black bands getting bleached to white then to another color. I've never seen that. All dye projects I've seen have started with lighter colors going to dark. To me that means the coloring process is a one way thing. Into the resin and only darker.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the pics and the advice, Onrypt! As Charge says, I think for my watch I should use more tint to erradicate the ugly yellow jelly.

Another question, please. Once you dye a G, what happens if you swim with it? Does the tint fade away? Also, if it rains or you wash your hands, is it possible that the tint goes away and stains your sleeves?

Thanx!

G.
After the dye bath you can set the color with a 50/50 mix of h20 and white vinegar. Rinse off the watch parts with water and set them in a hot (not boiling) vinegar bath to set the color. (One other hint, make SURE the strap keeper doesn't touch the bottom of the pan when you're cooking in either bath, it will shrink. Use a colander or tongs to keep it off the bottom.)
I think there are some good posts on how to dye and safely remove hardware, but if you have any questions send me a PM and good luck!
Chris

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sometimes the color can fade onto your skin or whatever, but the vinegar bath can act to cure the dye into the band. However it can take some of the color out of the band, so if it lightens too much for your liking you can always put it back in the dye for a little longer and then re-cure. Good luck! I was surprised at how easy it really was to dye G's. :-!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
After the dye bath you can set the color with a 50/50 mix of h20 and white vinegar. Rinse off the watch parts with water and set them in a hot (not boiling) vinegar bath to set the color. (One other hint, make SURE the strap keeper doesn't touch the bottom of the pan when you're cooking in either bath, it will shrink. Use a colander or tongs to keep it off the bottom.)
I think there are some good posts on how to dye and safely remove hardware, but if you have any questions send me a PM and good luck!
Chris
I'd say just take the keeper off. Why risk it melting, I had one do so and I can't say for sure it even touched the bottom of the pan.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd say just take the keeper off. Why risk it melting, I had one do so and I can't say for sure it even touched the bottom of the pan.
I will, thank you very much. And thanks to everyone for your kind advice. If I can get a good price, I'll get the old frog and will post photos when the dye job is done.

Take care, pals,

G.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts