WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in my two DW-5725 bezels earlier this week. My intent was to dye them black, as replacement bezels for my DW-5700 screwback reissue. I got to dying them last night, and things went horribly wrong.

It seems that whatever Casio is treating the surfaces of their gloss white bezels with, inhibits the penetration of dye. After 45 minutes in black RIT dye, I was only able to achieve a dirty light color purple. Then after a full hour in Dylon black dye, the color mysteriously got even lighter.

In an act of desperation, I gave the bezel a 30 minute soak in RIT yellow dye. This achieved an interesting tan/brown color. I decided that it looked kind of cool, and painted all of the lettering with black paint. The bezel could make for a nifty military theme.

It is a VERY difficult color to capture in a photograph.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
buzz, im looking at a silvery orang-y red-y pinky bezel. so u bought a white bezel and wanted to dye it black and it didnt worked out? that is strange. so, got a name for the new color?
Very strange indeed. The inside of the bezel came out perfectly black, where the bezel had matte finish. The outisde of the bezel, which had been treated to have a glossy finish, just would not accept very much dye.

The reason for the purple color, after using the black dye, was because the black dye had a distinctly blue/purple base color. All black dyes/inks/paints are based on another color. Usually that color is blue or green.

I have no idea what to do with the remaining white bezel. :-s

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Wow thats an interesting dye job for sure, Ive got a theory about it. I would assume one company's Red is different than the other company and when you mix em kaboom. As far as capturing the color on camera, if your camera is digital you may want to see if the white balance is set up right. I like the Grey a lot buzzbait.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I don't know how you did it Buzz, but that's a cracking colour ! :-! I don't think anyone could duplicate that if they tried, fantastic! ...:-!:-d

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think that it's a gloss coating. Since the bezel did take a certain amount of dye, I would tend to believe that the gloss is something soaked into the resin, like dye. o|

The upside is that bezel should be very resistant to stains.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Hey Buzz, ya, I forgot to post this. Should have given you guys the heads-up, but as you've discovered, the Rising White bands and bezels don't absorb the dye like the normal resin bands. When I dyed mine black, I got this patchy Olive Green monster instead. But it's grown on me and I kinda' like it. Anyways, it was a spare band and bezel. As you can see, the strap-keeper didn't have the gloss and colored normal during the dye job. And although the back of the straps and bezels were black initially, they soon lightened and changed to a dark green as well. I used Dylon dye. :-! I figure it will fade to a nice tan/bronze color soon which is ok too.

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
Buzz, I like it. It looks very nice I would think a maratec band would look very nice in it especially in desert tan:-!

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,595 Posts
Hi Buzzbait,

It looks like a little happy accident of Bob Ross. I would have liked it in black, but your emergency treatment with yellow dye gave actually a very nice result. I believe no G-Shock has been released with such a color (or was there not an L.X in tan brown?). I think I like the color, but if I should wear it, I'm afraid I can't see the watch on my skin.

@ GB2G,

I think your olive green DW-5700 looks great.

Cheers,

Sjors

1 - 20 of 35 Posts