WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching for a Rolex when my eyes lured onto this piece. The design seems to be taken from the 1950's Rolex Submariner with the domed shape crystal.

My question is simple. Is it a true classic or a cheap fake? If it's a cheap fake then i'm pretty sure its' the earliest fake Rolex!

·
4,391 Posts
Certain things look OK, like the H/M hands, the rest looks goofy, or at the very best a piecemeal of various Rolex parts, like an early redial combined with some parts, some of which may actually be Tudor parts, like the case.

Try asking over on www.vintagerolexforum.com they would better be able to assist.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You might be surprised...

Actually.... I think you will find that this is a Rolex Case... caseback should say either Rolex or possibly Oyster Watch Co. But I think the case belongs to a Wellington dial. Obviously this watch has suffered a make-over at the hands of redialler who thought a california dial would be a better selling point.

Here is an example.

http://dials.vrfimages.com/dials/MISCELLANEOUS/WellingtonObs-ca1940s-Rita-1.jpg

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Re: You might be surprised...

I think its a variation of the "Rolex Athlete" 4127 - around 1940 - but wonder if the dial is right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts