WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I came across a vintage Election monopusher chronograph. It's a nice watch and am considering making an offer, however the seller states (as well as many other sellers of similar Election watches) that the watch contains a Valjoux 22. This made sense as the Valjoux 22 is a monopusher column wheel chronograph movement, however, according to watch-wiki.com (https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Valjoux_22) the Valjoux 22 is a 9-column column wheel movement and the picture of the movement in this Election watch, posted below, is a 6-column column wheel movement.

election_watch1.jpg

Now, at first I thought it might be a Landeron 52, however this movement doesn't really resemble a Landeron 52, from pictures that I've seen. That being said, upon some further research, I found this post on OnTheDash.com (OnTheDash - The definitive guide to Heuer) that states that an earlier version of the Valjoux 22 was 6-column and was later updated and made to be 9-column; though in those pictures, the later watchers are not monopusher chronographs, so i'm not sure if that post is relevant or not.

What do you guys think?

As always, thanks in advance for any insights,

Joe

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Mystery Movement: 6-Column Column Wheel Monopusher Chronograph

Wow, thank you for the reply. What period are we thinking? 1930's? 1940's?

-Joe

·
Premium Member
7,629 Posts

Probably 1930s, but possibly early 1940s. Have you measured the diameter of the movement by any chance?

Edit: The reason I ask is that there is a smaller (13''') Valjoux monopusher movement that looks similar. The completely straight sides of the balance cock made me think Valjoux 22, however.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I have not, I have not yet purchased the watch and therefore do not have possession :/ The seller is asking, what I consider to be, way too much for the watch. But the dial is nice, featuring a lovely medial Base 30 Pulsations meter which I like

The case measures 36mm without the crown

·
Premium Member
7,629 Posts

I found the auction, and the history is interesting.

- Auction with opening price of $599 ... ended with no bids.
- Relisted with a BIN price of $999 ... did not sell.
- Relisted with BIN price of $1,200 (Best Offer option)

So each time it fails to sell, he raises the price. Interesting strategy. A major devaluing factor with this watch is that the case is not SS and there is significant brassing. Also, the seller does not take returns. These issues would disqualify the watch for many collectors. Perhaps he would consider $500 if you are willing to go that high. I agree that the dial is nice.

·
Premium Member
13,539 Posts

I found the auction, and the history is interesting.

- Auction with opening price of $599 ... ended with no bids.
- Relisted with a BIN price of $999 ... did not sell.
- Relisted with BIN price of $1,200 (Best Offer option)

So each time it fails to sell, he raises the price. Interesting strategy. A major devaluing factor with this watch is that the case is not SS and there is significant brassing. Also, the seller does not take returns. These issues would disqualify the watch for many collectors. Perhaps he would consider $500 if you are willing to go that high. I agree that the dial is nice.
I have seen some other sellers doing this as well. A chromium plated case is no go for me because it won't have the same durability than a real stainless steel case. I myself focus only on stainless steel chronograh, knowing that chromium plating can be worn off over the years

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yea, I spoke with him earlier today. I believe it "sold" twice and the buyers never paid up. I've followed the item through a few cycles and saw what has become of the listing. I was thinking of offering him like $400 and would re-plate the case in nickel. As I told him, I probably wouldn't re-sell this one and it would go into my private collection. We'll see what ends up happening

·
Premium Member
7,629 Posts

Good luck. I can see that this would be a nice watch to wear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts