6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Check out this article:
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8TAFFQ80.htm

What does everybody think?
I'm not quite sure how this is going to work. I don't think that under the stated parameters, we are going to be able to buy G Shocks on Yahoo Japan. It seems like initially,there are just going to be select products that will be available through eBay.

Additionally, you still will need sellers who are willing to ship overseas. eBay and Yahoo can't control that variable.

That said, it would be wonderful if we could bypass the bidding services. However, I can't help but wonder if the cost savings we realize by not using the services will be offset by the higher auction prices due to the greater number of bidders. Also, the article mentioned a number of things eBay and Yahoo will do to facilitate this process. My guess is that this will result in higher fees for either the sellers, buyers or both.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
That said, it would be wonderful if we could bypass the bidding services. However, I can't help but wonder if the cost savings we realize by not using the services will be offset by the higher auction prices due to the greater number of bidders. Also, the article mentioned a number of things eBay and Yahoo will do to facilitate this process. My guess is that this will result in higher fees for either the sellers, buyers or both.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Hi Petew,

I agree that with the increase number of bidders, the prices might end much higher and it will not make a difference compared to using a bidding service.

Ultimately the winner will be Ebay:rodekaart

cheers~
SKy

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
excellent news

now how do I get all my money back from Rinkya LOL

It will be interesting to see how the infusion of Japanese sellers in the US ebay domain affects overall sales, not just for watches. I say this because in my experience the majority of Japanese sellers (of G-shocks) on Yahoo JP have stellar reputations eg so close to 100% feedback. For US ebay users, it will be an infusion of top-notch sellers.

And the Japanese get to deal with US ebay sellers, what fun ;-)

cheers

* my comments focus only on my experience with Yahoo JP and ebay USA

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I agree with Skyhook, more bidders will = higher end prices. But it probably wont equal what the bid services are charging now.

On another note ebay did 172.7 billion this last year.
That's enough money for like 3 wars! j/k

"The online auction markets in both countries are growing, Yahoo said. In Japan, it's up about 27 percent from a year ago to an estimated 4 trillion yen ($36.4 billion) and in the U.S., it's up 21 percent to more than 19 trillion yen ($172.7 billion)"

·
Registered
503 Posts
Additionally, you still will need sellers who are willing to ship overseas. eBay and Yahoo can't control that variable.
Pete you hit the nail on the head right here. Most seller on Yahoo Japan simply are not willing to ship over seas. If they did they would already be listing items on Ebay. What does it take to list items on Ebay? A valid credit card and internet access. Most major cities have that now. There are a lot of people from all over the world on Ebay already.

I think out Japanese sellers do not get much more if they listed items on Ebay rather than Yahoo JP so they stick to Yahoo JP.

I do not think much will change.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think anything they can do to open up the markets is good. I believe that a closed market leads to limited sellers, and thus higher prices. Yes, by opening up the number of buyers it's possible to raise prices. But remember that they are also opening the door to more sellers. More sellers mean more competition, and more competition means the consumer wins :).

Well...that's my thought at least. It does all depend on international shipping. But, if the seller knows that by doing international shipping, they will get higher bids, they will ship internationally.

Plus, with the way the U.S. dollar is performing, a Japanese buyer would be better off buying the U.S. product (as their stronger yen lets them buy more U.S. dollars). So, maybe we'll win as sellers.

·
Registered
441 Posts
We will have to see. Ebay really does not exist in Japan when compared to the clout of Yahoo Japan as of now. But Japanese sellers do not have to go the way of ebay to sell their products internationally.

Notice that Amazon is able to do so simply by accepting visa payments. The main advantage of ebay is paypal and some additional buyer protection.

If the seller's from Japan are able to get an exemption from their local tax whenever an item is exported, it would make their prices more competitive. Their postal services are there, all they need is paypal, visa and a bank that is international fund friendly.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
This is going to be very interesting. Hopefully more sellers in Japan will deliver abroad, and will hopefully drive down the costs of the few that are selling abroad from Japan on ebay.

The biggest problem, as already stated, is getting sellers in Japan to sell abroad. Most people here don't want to deal with the hassle of foreigners (a little racist maybe, but true).

Also, not only shipping from Japan, but to Japan. I've been trying to get a keyboard from England on ebay. I've email three companies. One ignored my email, another one wrote the first time around, but ignored my reply when I offered to transfer money from my UK bank account if they were worried about me pulling some kind of fraud, and the third said a flat out no even when I said I'd get someone in the UK to put it on their plastic. They even started the email "Dear Sir/Madam"! When the h*ll did my name become so ambitious that it could be interpreted as a woman's name?!

The second seller said that because of the low number of feedback (all positive, mind) and the fact that it was from so long ago, that he wouldn't send to Japan. Thanks, but I tend to only buy stuff on ebay when I want something.

At the moment most, if not all, payments on YA are done via bank transfer. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a credit card payment on a YA auction. Paypal would be a whole new thing to the Japanese.

When I first came to Japan 7 years ago, credit cards were the new "in" thing, and were being heavily promoted in Japan. It's only in the last three or so years that I've been able to pay for my groceries with my credit card (with Hello Kitty on). Personally, I don't think most people will be impressed with getting charged for using credit cards in Japan when they're all used to getting their money in their bank first (charge free to the seller, but buyer gets stung with the transfer fee) before sending goods out. Who needs payment protection when most Japanese people are very trusting of each other here anyway?

Oh, and did you know you have to pay a monthly fee to use YA in Japan if you want to buy anything over 3,000 yen?

Rant over.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention. Most people in Japan have never heard of ebay.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
When the h*ll did my name become so ambitious that it could be interpreted as a woman's name?!
Ambiguous?

And surely Dragon could indicate male or female? ;-)

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Ambiguous?

And surely Dragon could indicate male or female? ;-)
Doh. Ambiguous. Too fast with the spell checker there.

Dragon is obviously a male name. In the European languages I know, dragon is a masculine word. Besides, a female dragon is a dragoness. Not a lot of people know that [Michael Cain accent].

·
Registered
503 Posts
Good to get someone’s opinion that is closer to the market affected than me. Thanks DragonJade. Couple questions though.

When I first came to Japan 7 years ago, credit cards were the new "in" thing, and were being heavily promoted in Japan. It's only in the last three or so years that I've been able to pay for my groceries with my credit card (with Hello Kitty on).
This I find surprising as in Japan the consumer market is way ahead of the US. They get the newest fastest stuff a year or so before it makes it to the US market. I mean cell phones, computers, and tech items.

they're all used to getting their money in their bank first (charge free to the seller, but buyer gets stung with the transfer fee) before sending goods out.
Is this like the system they use in Europe or more like the Debit card system in the US?

Oh, and did you know you have to pay a monthly fee to use YA in Japan if you want to buy anything over 3,000 yen?
No. How much is the fee? If you do not mind me asking?

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
This I find surprising as in Japan the consumer market is way ahead of the US. They get the newest fastest stuff a year or so before it makes it to the US market. I mean cell phones, computers, and tech items.
The Japanese are very advanced in many things, but in some things comparativly seem positively backwards. The banking industry is a prime example. When I first came, ATM's were only open during bank hours (10-4/5). Not much good if you have a day job. The queues at lunch time were insane. At least now they usually stay open till about 8PM, but you get charged for using it after a certain time. The only place to find 24h ATM's is in a convenience store, where you definitely get charged.

Is this like the system they use in Europe or more like the Debit card system in the US?
Proper credit cards in Japan. The good news is you have a much better chance of your foreign card working in Japan. The chances were about 2% 7 years ago.

No. How much is the fee? If you do not mind me asking?
I think it's about 300 Yen a month.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts