WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm in the market for a Heuer 1000, specifically the "black coral" model and I came across this watch and put it in MY EBAY "watching" I was looking at the pics of the watch to decide how much I wanted to bid and noticed "meters" is spelled "metres" on this watch. It's a pre-Tag so I don't know if thats the way they spelled it back then.
Any help clarifying will be appreciated.

Click the link below to view the watch

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270536641295&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

·
Registered
205 Posts
You know I've always spelled it as metre, but then I read this and started to doubt my own sanity!

Anyway, I've looked it up now, so hear goes:

metre - a measure of distance
meter - an instrument that measures something e.g. gas meter

Just remember, Nm (newton metre - as in momentum) and a newton meter are 2 different things!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
according to wikipedia....

Two spellings of the name of the unit are common in English: metre is preferred among the majority of countries in the English-speaking world except in the United States, where the spelling is meter.[13]
The most recent official brochure, written in 2006, about the International System of Units (SI), Bureau international des poids et mesures, was written in French by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures. An English translation (using the spelling: metre) is included to make the SI standard "more widely accessible".[14]
In 2008, the U.S. English translation published by the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology chose to use meter in accordance with the United States Government Printing Office Style Manual.[15]
The spelling (-)meter for measuring devices, is the only correct spelling regardless of country, such as: parking meter, speedometer.[16] (Meter, the device, has the same derivation as the metre detailed in this article.[17]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi i think its an authentik watch, if you notice the eta symbol on the inside.
What surprised me is that the back says Meters and the front says metre.
Thats maybe because the caseback is been replaced.
Perhaps someone else has ideas.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hi i think its an authentik watch, if you notice the eta symbol on the inside.
What surprised me is that the back says Meters and the front says metre.
Thats maybe because the caseback is been replaced.
Perhaps someone else has ideas.
My Heuer 2000 states "metres" on the dial and "meters" on the caseback. I think this is normal, although not sure why.

I have no doubt the watch is authentic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's authentic alright. the seller is a trusted dealer here in manila. Never thought i'd see a series 1000 up for sale again. Quite something seeing a HEUER mark without the T.A.G. :-!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts