WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through Ebay this morning seeing if there were any good deals out there. Ran into a Patek I saw several days ago. Darn thing has about 40 bidders and it is up to $480 now. Guy is selling it because of a defect...seems Patek's quality control was lacking one day and this watch can't keep the chrystal on. So rather than repair it, he is just going to sell it to the highest bidder. Heay, it even has a glass back so you can see the pretty movement...looks like a 2824 automatic movement!!!!:rodekaart

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
That's eBay for you. :roll: I put on a hazmat suit before surfing anymore. I guess it's impossible to police all the listings, and if eBay is collecting fees they're probably not that motivated to remove anything unless it gets reported.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Ooh, a one-of-a-kind Patek Phillipe. Bid on it before it disappears.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
I used to report all the fakes I saw - but most of them weren't removed, so now I don't bother. Nor do they take action against people who list items as 'gold' which are merely plated, even though to do so is a criminal offence in the UK.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I used to report all the fakes I saw - but most of them weren't removed, so now I don't bother. Nor do they take action against people who list items as 'gold' which are merely plated, even though to do so is a criminal offence in the UK.
When I was working with PayPal (worst few months of my life) there was a case where a guy bought some gold jewelery. When it arrived he found out it wasn't solid gold, so he filed an 'Item not as described' complaint. Somebody in the PayPal claims department ruled in favour of the seller, using the logic that the selling price should have told the buyer that the jewelery wasn't solid gold, although the auction description didn't state it.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
That should be astonishing.:-d

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
When I was working with PayPal (worst few months of my life)

I got my first personal credit card in order to use ebay and paypal this year. first couple orders went well through paypal charged to Visa card.
Paypal sent their card for me to confirm which I did not. In fact emphatically declined by telephone and emails. However they approved it for me anyway and next charges went to it and my Visa card disappeared from their accounting. No way will they cancel their card or let me use mine although their info says I can. I give up. I will go back to using daughter's paypal. Would like to know how to cancel paypal card. I have tried using their sysytem with no response except for accounting and charges.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I got my first personal credit card in order to use ebay and paypal this year. first couple orders went well through paypal charged to Visa card.
Paypal sent their card for me to confirm which I did not. In fact emphatically declined by telephone and emails. However they approved it for me anyway and next charges went to it and my Visa card disappeared from their accounting. No way will they cancel their card or let me use mine although their info says I can. I give up. I will go back to using daughter's paypal. Would like to know how to cancel paypal card. I have tried using their sysytem with no response except for accounting and charges.
Not sure of your question here. What did they want you to confirm, the credit card (charging 1 dollar which is refundable once you make your first payment) or do they want you to confirm your identity (automated phone call etc)? And what do you want to cancel, the paypal account, the card, or you want to remove the card from the paypal system? I haven't worked with paypal for around 3.5 years, and I know they're constantly changing their terms and conditions and rules...

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Appreciate your questions. Paypal at first used my VISA card for charges.
Then sent me their card which I refused to confirm. They used it anyway
although I did not confirm it and by telephone and email refused. I have paid it off but they keep it in my account instead of the VISA I prefer, and will not respond to my many requests to cancel. Really frustrating lack of communication response about this unwanted card they will not terminate.
Other than my business card I want only one personal card, the Visa that I got only for ebay use, but they are forcing use of their card. I really should not bother you with the lousy Paypal communications. Thought there might
be an obvious contact of the many listed that have not worked for me to merely cancel an unwanted and unconfirmed extra card.

·
Registered
315 Posts
What? They sent You a personal credit card and start to charge it without You ever signing a contract?
Hm.
You know what, since paypal is owned by ebay, they lost a lot of sympathy on my end also. But I can't complain about their service in Germany. I can add or delete as many cards and payment methods as I want.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
O.V.E. : Correct. I think the Paypal system of paying is great. Fast, efficient, protective. I just do not want their card that they are forcing me to use.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Appreciate your questions. Paypal at first used my VISA card for charges.
Then sent me their card which I refused to confirm. They used it anyway
although I did not confirm it and by telephone and email refused. I have paid it off but they keep it in my account instead of the VISA I prefer, and will not respond to my many requests to cancel. Really frustrating lack of communication response about this unwanted card they will not terminate.
Other than my business card I want only one personal card, the Visa that I got only for ebay use, but they are forcing use of their card. I really should not bother you with the lousy Paypal communications. Thought there might
be an obvious contact of the many listed that have not worked for me to merely cancel an unwanted and unconfirmed extra card.
Before I answer, I give my disclaimer, I worked with PayPal for a few months, 3.5 years ago, so my answers might be outdated...

By their card I think you mean a paypal branded credit card. Paypal licenced their name, and help market the credit card, but in fact it has nothing to do with Paypal, it is issued by an offline credit card provider (google search says it's Providian Financial, but this could be outdated).

When you say you refused to confirm your card by phone and email, I assume it's to do with their card confirmation process, where they confirm the identity of the card holder. This doesn't prevent the card from being used, but there is a limit to the cumulative value of transactions that can be processed using the card.

The people in the paypal call centre cannot cancel the cards on your paypal account, nor can they change which card is used. They can only give you instructions on how to do it yourself. You have to log in to your paypal account, and go to the credit cards section. If you want to take a card off the paypal system you choose remove card (but you can still use it on other websites or in shops). If you want to cancel the card completely, you should get a card statement, and find contact details for the card provider off that.

If you want paypal to use a specific credit card when you make payments, you have to set it up as the default. If you don't set up a default card, they system will pick your oldest card as the default one. If while paying you decide you want to use a card other than your default card, you can do so just before you hit the pay button. There will be a link saying you are going to do the payment using card number ending xxxx, and if you wish to change the card used click here. There should also be some other link that allows you to change if the currency conversion is done by your card issuer or by paypal. Back then paypal's currency conversion was way more expensive.

·
Registered
549 Posts
What? They sent You a personal credit card and start to charge it without You ever signing a contract?
Hm.
You know what, since paypal is owned by ebay, they lost a lot of sympathy on my end also. But I can't complain about their service in Germany. I can add or delete as many cards and payment methods as I want.
PayPal treats German customers with kid gloves. Even the charges are lower than anywhere else. The reason is that PayPal couldn't get any market presence in Germany, because Germans didn't see any use for it, since their local banks have a very advanced funds transfer system. Again this is what I was told 3.5 years ago, not sure if it's still valid.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I appreciate your efforts for me. I have done as you suggest. My problems are no response to my efforts as directed to simply give up the Pay Pal Plus card. The original Visa they removed from my account was the Default
one and initially was used as I preferred until They forced the Pay Pal Plus card on me and my Visa card disappeared from my account. I give up. I have done as you and they direct. Fortunately the accounting is accurate and there will just be no activity on my unwanted zero balance card. I am not sure about any special charges on an unused card like this. I am tempted to borrow a $1.00 on that card and leave it unpaid to get some attention. I will easily cancel the Visa card which I initially got for Paypal use anyway. To hell with Paypal's Plus Card they will not let me cancel, and paypal. My daughter has years of 100% satisfactory use with paypal with 3 different accounts. No Pay Pal Plus card for her. I will revert to using her for my ebay bidding and payments.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts