WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sold a couple of items couple of months ago before the holidays, normal auction, winner was some dude in Brazil. Nothing expensive, just a strap and one old Seiko 5 I was no longer wearing, in need of some TLC, altogether around 60$ including the 8$ I charged for shipping.

So I sent the item via a tracked method, it landed in Brazil about 6 days after leaving from my location. About 20 days after the purchase date the buyer, without sending me any messages prior and despite me furnishing him with the tracking number, goes and opens a case on one of the items. Of course, I have entered the tracking in the case, reminded him that the tracking number shows as the item is on its way but the buyer never replied, he ignored my 2-3 messages I've sent before the 30 day cut-off time of the case. In the end, I receive a message from eBay saying:

XYZ opened a case because of an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and have decided to issue the buyer a refund of $xx.xx without any impact to you. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping.

This case is now closed. You are not required to reimburse the buyer or eBay, and this case will not be counted in your seller performance evaluation.

You can view the details of the case in the Resolution Center.

A couple of weeks later, and still within the 60 days window, the buyer opens a second case on eBay, for the second item. Again, without replying or responding to any of my messages, even though I also wrote him via email address from which he send the PayPal payment.

The case was still open a few days ago as I checked the tracking number to find that low and behold, the item actually arrived!! So I go and press the "let eBay handle it" button thingy in the case and some hours later, I get the exact same message above, that eBay refunded the buyer, without any recourse/refund from me. Does some robot handle these cases or are eBay's employees so careless as to dole out refunds to buyers :-s :-s :-s Very strange indeed!

I mean, on one hand I do understand the buyers side of things as well, having not received the item for a long time but this is strictly the fault of the "greatly" efficient postal services of Brazil, famous around the world I guess, along with others such as Italy or some parts of Russia and others. But on the other hand, the speed with which this buyer hurried up to ask for a refund, for the first case at least, even though he knew there is a tracking number as well as his complete silence to respond to messages makes me think he probably did the same with other items/sellers before.

Lesson learned from this? Don't ship to Brazil via registered mail especially if any pricey items! In my case, even if eBay had "charged" me for this it wasn't much but enough to make me decide to remove Brazil from the list of future sales, on eBay or otherwise...

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Re: eBay refunds buyer....after items arrive ?!? (Moral= DON'T ship to Brazil!)

Thanks for the heads up and glad eBay didn't count against you. Do you know if the breakdown was in the shipment system of Brazil or the dishonesty of the buyer?

Sent from my slingshot using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Thanks for the heads up and glad eBay didn't count against you. Do you know if the breakdown was in the shipment system of Brazil or the dishonesty of the buyer?

Sent from my slingshot using Tapatalk
I have no clue but according to the tracking number, it only shows as delivered few days back.

Since the buyer never replied to any messages, no even after the items were delivered/signed for by him, I assume he's not the most honest person either. It happened to me quite a few times to have cheap items bought from eBay, delayed past the 45/60 days limit and have kindly asked the seller for a refund until the item actually arrives which in most cases it did and I of course swiftly sent back the funds back to them without even thinking about it. But I guess the world has it's fair share of dishonest folks.

As for this particular issue showcases on this thread, it did not affect me monetarily as clearly eBay itself refunded the buyer, I was wondering more as to why did they do it AFTER the buyer got his item? I guess with all those high eBay/PayPal fees they can afford to let slide a few freebies. :)

I love our overseas friends but this is exactly why I sell CONUS only. Although to be fair, there are plenty of scammers on this side of the pond too.
Don't start with that :)

Nothing wrong with selling to folks abroad, there's a few countries though where clearly it's not worth selling to unless you use extra insurance and a fast, trackable method such as UPS, DHL etc., which of course is only worth if the item in question is more expensive, not really worth for small-value items.

As for the CONUS bit, I have to disagree completely, firstly because I myself have been out of CONUS for a while and even across the pond altogether for now! - might return soon enough though to the good ol' US ;) - and secondly because CONUS excludes Hawaii, Alaska, PR and some other US territories and I've happened to meet some great folks, some even watch fans from those very places :)

·
Registered
6,460 Posts

and secondly because CONUS excludes Hawaii, Alaska, PR and some other US territories
I was all set to jump in and point this out, but you beat me to it.

Folks, CONUS is not the same as not shipping to other countries. It stands for CONtinental U.S. If you mean "no international shipping," then say that.

·
Banned
2,843 Posts

I once trimmed my collection of something else I collect (not watches) by selling many items in eBay and without adding details because it is a long winded story, I will never, ever sell anything to anyone in Russia again even if my life depended on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.