WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always lose last second upon bidding on a watch on ebay. It hasn't occurred me until now that people are highly likely employing a sniping program. My last loss peaked my interest.

I would imagine the suspect thing with snipe services is the reliability and the privacy info being leaked.

Anyone have experience or recommend any snipe websites?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All's fair in love, war, and eBay bidding.

I've never been sniped on eBay because I put my highest number in from the get-go (plus a random dollar and cents amount to cover some rounded out dollar amount bidders).
Thats funny. I always put a random cent and dollar amount as well. Lol. WIS think alike.

Reactions: Drop of a Hat

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
Gotta remember:

Every auction is different (with different people using different tactics)
There's always another watch
The odd random 'dollar' amount doesn't always work - but is good when it does
lots of other things :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
it seems these days that a large percentage of auctions - especially watches - are won (or lost) at the very last second on Ebay.

In fact - if I cannot be there at the last second - I pretty much know that I will lose it due to a last second high bid. It sucks, but it is the way it is.

The responses above that suggest putting in your highest bid from the start is a good policy, but it in no way has anything to do with of you will win or not.

I am not familiar with the sniping stuff, but that sounds right - or its just another human somewhere waiting for the seconds to count down and placing the bid. Doesn't matter if its software or a person, it doesn't change the fact that Ebay is pretty tough these days to get what you want.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,070 Posts
Sniping software offers no bidding advantage unless you want the piece at any price. And there is always the excitement from pressing tbe refresh key every 30 seconds and waiting with bated breath until 2 seconds before close to enter a price which may get blown out. However if you know both how much the watch is worth and your maximum price just enter your highest bid and let the proxy bidding software on ebay do your work. I absolutely guaranty the watch will go to the highest bidder.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
it's simple actually. sniping program or not, the item will go to the highest bidder. just put in a sufficiently high bid, and I guarantee you will win. the really odd thing is it really doesn't matter when you put this bid in, beginning of auction or at the very end.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I don't mind people using sniping programs (at least not that much) but what I cannot stand is when sellers use them to artificially inflate the price of what they are selling and get away with it despite being in violation for auction rules.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Its worth using a sniping tool when bidding on anything of much value.

You don't need to be waiting for the auction to end, and you don't tip your hand to other bidders. There's nothing to gain from showing interest before the end and a bidding war is the last thing you want.

I've only used snipers a few times, not enough to ever have to pay for it though. If I wasn't adverse to bidding on items in general I'd make a habit of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I find if you put your highest bid from the get go, the item usually sells for more (could be as a result of sellers inflating prices.

I've been using an android app called bid sniper for about a year and I believe it helps me win items at better prices.
I simply enter my highest bid, but as a snipe, rather than the get go.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Since ebay went to the system that masked bidders ID's several years ago, it is all too easy for a seller to shill bid their own auctions, there used to be some transparency in the bidding process, but no more, ebay only cares about getting as much $ as they can, any way they can and there are many big name sellers that are more than willing to do everything they can, legal and otherwise to maximize the final price.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I use eSnipe. I usually set the time to bid at 5 seconds or so before the auction ends. Sometimes people outbid me within those 5 seconds.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,070 Posts
I don't mind people using sniping programs (at least not that much) but what I cannot stand is when sellers use them to artificially inflate the price of what they are selling and get away with it despite being in violation for auction rules.
Some sellers use them to avoid Ebay reserve fees. Just know the.value and your price and bid accordingly.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since ebay went to the system that masked bidders ID's several years ago, it is all too easy for a seller to shill bid their own auctions, there used to be some transparency in the bidding process, but no more, ebay only cares about getting as much $ as they can, any way they can and there are many big name sellers that are more than willing to do everything they can, legal and otherwise to maximize the final price.
i agree with there is a ton of shill bidding. I bid on a watch last week and there was artificial bidding. How do I know? The shill account account had zero purchases and 50% of the time the shill bid with the watch seller. I emailed ebay but I doubt anything will be done about it. All ebay cares about is their bottom line. Best just not to bid with these chump sellers.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts