WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to say it but I will be turning 52 on Friday March 12. I have been a watch enthusiast since I was 19. Bought my first Rolex ( a heavily worn 1601 Datejust) When I was 20 for $500.00 Still kinda miss that old watch. But since my life has given me the opportunity to own many fine watches. Including Rolex , Patek , Vacheron and others. But I recently purchased and Ebel 1911 38mm automatic two tone at a local NAWCC show. I paid $450.00 with box and papers and in mint condition. Somewhere around the price of a new high end Seiko. The watch is extremely well made and the gold is 18k , not plated. Also a great looking dial. I removed 2 links to accommodate my wrist size. And even though it is thinner it weighs more than My 16013 Rolex Datejust. 4.1oz on the Ebel 3.3oz on the Datejust. With bracelet the same size. There are a I guess questions about Ebel movements. But form what I understand most if not all are ETA Cal modified by Ebel. One thing I can tell you. The movement in my 1911 is one of the most accurate automatic movements I have ever owned. In 3 days is has been accurate to within 2 seconds. I believe Ebel to be under looked and under rated for the money. It is a great watch value and I believe that will be noticed more in time. Thank you for reading, Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Very nice looking watch! :-! I'm certainly no expert, but I tend to agree with your assessment of Ebel. Under-appreciated.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have an Ebel Brasilia and I'm very happy with it. Didn't know the brand but my local AD introduced it to me and I imidiately fell in love with this model. I bought it few months later.

I'm so pleased with it that I even bought an Ebel for my sister.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I can second that accuracy comment. My NOS (from 2004) Ebel Sportwave diver gains just over a second a day ... one of my most accurate mechanical watches. I feel they're hugely underappreciated as well ... I might be getting a cal. 137 based Ebel chrono in a few months time.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Ebel has a long history of making excellent watches. Unfortunately I think they're owned by the Movado group but the Ebel 1911 Discovery chronographs are still wonderful. Some of their higher end chronos use their own in house designs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have heard the same thing about there Chronograph's. Love the BTR. Very fre watch lines make a chronograph movement. Look how long it took Rolex to do it....

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
UN and Ebel worked together to create the cal. 137 (UN used the base movement as the tractor for their GMT perpetual). Nouvelle Lemania (later integrated into Breguet by the Swatch Group) was in charge of the movement production. Ebel had a contract with Lemania to exclusively produce the movement for them ... this held even after Lemania's takeover by Swatch. The same movement is used after some modifications by the Breguet Type XX flyback chronograph.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I think it is good that Ebel is in the Movado Group.

Ebel has been bounced around quite a bit recently (1994 Investcorp, 1999 LVMH and 2004 Movado). All those changes in ownership did allot of damage to the brand. Lots of discount selling every time the direction of the company changed with new ownership. The brand got squeezed big time by LVMH as they tried to rationalize it with other LVMH brands. In Movado, they are clear to be positioned as the top horology brand, as Concord is more of a fashion luxury brand with a less significant horological history. They are likely to become the movement house for Movado and Concord and to get back to building their future on the strength of their past without having to tiptoe around other brands.

Lastly, it is good to see all the money being made off the endless milking of the Museum watch design having a good place to be invested.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Ray,

I also like Ebel very much...but I get the impression that amongst the Movado group that Concord is the highest end. Fashionable, perhaps...but their watches are far more expensive than most Ebels (even when equipped with the ubiquitous Valgranges movements).

I hope Ebel does begin to produce movements for Movado watches. The 137 is one of my favorites.

NM

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Ray,

I also like Ebel very much...but I get the impression that amongst the Movado group that Concord is the highest end. Fashionable, perhaps...but their watches are far more expensive than most Ebels (even when equipped with the ubiquitous Valgranges movements).

I hope Ebel does begin to produce movements for Movado watches. The 137 is one of my favorites.

NM
Concord is definitely the highest priced, but the uber expensive models like the ~$100K Concord C1 they have gains its value more from being diamond encrusted white gold than from extraordinary horological complication, novelty and craft.

The point I was trying to make is that within the Movado Group, Ebel is positioned as the "top horology" brand, where the value of the watches are primarily driven by horological complication, novelty and craft as opposed to jewel encrusting.

Ebel hopefully will have free reign and be the focus of investment within the Movado group to create what the WIS here have long found missing in their offerings, horological distinction.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,706 Posts
I hate to say it but I will be turning 52 on Friday March 12. I have been a watch enthusiast since I was 19. Bought my first Rolex ( a heavily worn 1601 Datejust) When I was 20 for $500.00 Still kinda miss that old watch. But since my life has given me the opportunity to own many fine watches. Including Rolex , Patek , Vacheron and others. But I recently purchased and Ebel 1911 38mm automatic two tone at a local NAWCC show. I paid $450.00 with box and papers and in mint condition. Somewhere around the price of a new high end Seiko. The watch is extremely well made and the gold is 18k , not plated. Also a great looking dial. I removed 2 links to accommodate my wrist size. And even though it is thinner it weighs more than My 16013 Rolex Datejust. 4.1oz on the Ebel 3.3oz on the Datejust. With bracelet the same size. There are a I guess questions about Ebel movements. But form what I understand most if not all are ETA Cal modified by Ebel. One thing I can tell you. The movement in my 1911 is one of the most accurate automatic movements I have ever owned. In 3 days is has been accurate to within 2 seconds. I believe Ebel to be under looked and under rated for the money. It is a great watch value and I believe that will be noticed more in time. Thank you for reading, Larry
Indeed they make some very nice watches and are an established watch manufacturer. In my experience their watches are highly rated by those that own them. The Ebel 1911 I bought for my wife about 8 years ago gets more wrist time than any other. As to why Ebel watches don't appear more frequently on watch fora - I don't really know. Possibly their advertising does not stress movements and technical features as much as design and thereby doesn't appeal to some male collectors?:think: I've come very close to pulling the trigger on an Ebel 1911 with either large date or subseconds display.

·
Registered
41,753 Posts
:think: Under rated, yep, pretty much so by snob wannabes on watch forums.
They quick on the trigger to call it, "a fashion watch". The owners that
I've spoken with were a real loyal bunch.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I can second that accuracy comment. My NOS (from 2004) Ebel Sportwave diver gains just over a second a day ... one of my most accurate mechanical watches. I feel they're hugely underappreciated as well ... I might be getting a cal. 137 based Ebel chrono in a few months time.
|>

I can pretty much second that observation. The precision & accuracy of my own Sportwave diver is tops in my box. While not performing up to the same specs as it was three years ago, it is due for a service and still running about -4/day. Pretty damn impressive for a non-COSC movement and IMO indicative of the attention to detail Ebel puts into their watches.

Maybe it's due to my own horological "journey" (the first phase of which was largely aesthetically-based with a dumbed-down appreciation for the catch-all description of a "Swiss watch"), but the 1911 was one of the first watches I coveted and IMO is one of the most stunning watch designs ever penned. There will always be an empty pillow in my watch box reserved for a Calibre 137.

And considering the longevity of the brand (now a century old) and the fact they do make some of their movements in house, I do think they are somewhat under-appreciated.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have an Ebel Brasilia and I'm very happy with it. Didn't know the brand but my local AD introduced it to me and I imidiately fell in love with this model. I bought it few months later.

I'm so pleased with it that I even bought an Ebel for my sister.

I just tried that one few days ago on local ad. (They had -40% prices for all Ebel models.) Really GREAT looking whatch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts