WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post to this forum. As well as first Citizen!...
I did some search on my problem as well but didn't find exactly the same topic.

In brief, I bought this model which in the flesh is one hell of a watch. But when i played setting it up and trying out alarm, chrono etc the second hand switched in the powersave mode (2second leaps) and wouldnt revert to normal. What I did so far:
1. same day this happened I left the watch for one whole night at my desk with the lights on - no change
2. this weekend i left it at the window sill all weekend - no change; true it's cloudy and rainy and deinitely not brightly sunny but how long would it take to charge?

Manual only says power save function is exited automtically...Any manual way to do it? Quite frustrating all that or am I just that impatient?

I would greatly appreciate any help/thoughts on that!
cheers!
Angel

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same movement in my Citizen. Be sure that your watch is set to the "TIME" mode. If it is in the "CHR" (chronograph) mode then the second hand remains at the 12 o'clock position until you start the chronograph. Look at the bottom dial to determine what mode the watch is in. Thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hi,

Firt off all Congrets on this fine piece.:-!

I have this watch also. It never went into the "2 secs mode"

I guess that it needs more time loading the cel inside.

Place it for a day or so in direct sunlight and you'll be fine.

Proost , Elf

·
Registered
496 Posts
I believe that pulling the crown out to time set position, then returning it all the way in, will sometimes take the watch out of low-power mode, assuming it is actually charged enough. Your watch may not yet be recharged, though- room lights are quite weak. Full sun will do MUCH more.

I can't find the watch on the citizen site, but they do list the indoor and outdoor charge times.

Perhaps it uses the same movement as : http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/English/detail.asp?Country=COA&Language=English&ModelNumber=BL5380-07E&page=1

In which case, it will need 43 hours directly under a desk lamp for full charge, or, 12 hours outdoor on a cloudy day, or, 4 hours outdoors on a sunny day.

One day's charge is 2 hours ambient lighting in an office type situation.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hello, this is my first post to this forum. As well as first Citizen!...
I did some search on my problem as well but didn't find exactly the same topic.

In brief, I bought this model which in the flesh is one hell of a watch. But when i played setting it up and trying out alarm, chrono etc the second hand switched in the powersave mode (2second leaps) and wouldnt revert to normal. What I did so far:
1. same day this happened I left the watch for one whole night at my desk with the lights on - no change
2. this weekend i left it at the window sill all weekend - no change; true it's cloudy and rainy and deinitely not brightly sunny but how long would it take to charge?

Manual only says power save function is exited automtically...Any manual way to do it? Quite frustrating all that or am I just that impatient?

I would greatly appreciate any help/thoughts on that!
cheers!
Angel

I have a small desk lamp with a fluorescent bulb in it, 60w equivalent, (regular light bulb style), so my watches are only about six inches away from the bulb.
That is the only way that I was to get my 3 Eco Drives totally charged in the house. A bit like an Eco Drive farm!! b-)
When I just had the overhead light on when in the room, and the light from the windows, they would go into power save.
I leave the lamp on all the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for your responses! Ok I'm going hunting for more light now. It's snowing here today so I'll need to set up my Eco Drive farm as well :) Will post here (hopefully) when charging is dones!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2 weeks now sitting at the window sill including a couple of very sunny [though winter] days and still jumping at 2 second intervals....? I also had it overnight under a good (100W) desk lamp (at a good 50-60cm distance so that it doesnt get hot)...

I'm already quite frustrated...given that this is my first eco drive...
Does it mean one should not buy an eco drive in the winter or I have to fly to a sunny tropical island to have it charged?.. Read and re-read the manual to see if charging requires any particular positions of the crown etc but there appear to be none such. I have the marker set at the "time" indicator.

Would really appreciate any help/experience with charging eco-drives??
cheers,
Angel

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
2 weeks now sitting at the window sill including a couple of very sunny [though winter] days and still jumping at 2 second intervals....? I also had it overnight under a good (100W) desk lamp (at a good 50-60cm distance so that it doesnt get hot)...

I'm already quite frustrated...given that this is my first eco drive...
Does it mean one should not buy an eco drive in the winter or I have to fly to a sunny tropical island to have it charged?.. Read and re-read the manual to see if charging requires any particular positions of the crown etc but there appear to be none such. I have the marker set at the "time" indicator.

Would really appreciate any help/experience with charging eco-drives??
cheers,
Angel

No, two sunny days in direct sun should fix it - it is a clear defect so try to see about the warranty ...

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
You really need to put the watch outside if you wish to charge quickly.

You only get about one tenth the charge through a window compared to outside light.

Mitch

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
You really need to put the watch outside if you wish to charge quickly.

You only get about one tenth the charge through a window compared to outside light.

Mitch

1. I don't think the claim above has any real base when we speak about DIRECT SUNLIGHT - it might be possible that some types of windows (that are not glass or have serious UV protection) will cut the UV part, but that is like 5% of the energy, not 90% ...

2. Direct sunlight for two days (or let's say twice at 6 hours) should be more than enough. That is DIRECT SUNLIGHT - if there was a day in which you don't see the sun directly you are in a CLOUDY DAY (according to the Citizen description), but even like that it should go to full charge in about 60 hours of light ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No luck and in the end took it for repair. The watchmaker's firts words were "oh, no, another eco-drive!..." So he fixed a faulty capacitor and i paid $70 for that. I remind this was a brand new watch. Now i can finally wear it but the whole experience put me off. I'm pretty sure this is by far an exception than a rule for Citizen, but as this was my first Citizen and fist Eco-drive my stats so far are 100% bad quality watch. Yet I already found another Eco-drive i like so I might give Citizen a second chance! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts