WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Team G!

I thought It could be interesting to compare the flagship of the EDIFICE line, the EQB-1100, with (arguably) the flagship of the whole casio line: the MR-G, which I also bought very recently.

Let's first deal with the elephant in the room: yes; my MR-G is approximately 9 times more expensive than the Edifice, so there is no suspense regarding which one will be better finished etc. The whole point of this review is to assess how much better the MR-G really is

1. Functions

Both watches have in common: Solar powered, Bluetooth (+App), stopwatch, dual time (with AM/PM indicators), Alarm, Perpetual Calendar,

To this list the MR-G adds: a timer + MB6

NB: the stopwatch on the Edifice also offers a 200laps memory (timed to 1/1000th of a sec, which doesn't make any sense lol) that can be imported in the app

2. Case & bezel

MR-G
: Sapphire crystal with AR coating, Hardened Ion plated titanium for the case with a quite exclusive crystallized titanium bezel, WR 200m (iso certified)
EDIFICE: Sapphire crystal with AR coating (NB: the coating seems slightly less efficient than on the MR-G somehow), stainless steel for the case and a beautiful shiny blue ion plated bezel, WR 100m (non screw down crown)

Of course the MR-G is also resistant to shocks/centrifugal accelerations/magnetic fields, the EDIFICE is not.

I think both watches are gorgeous in a different way.

Watch Brown Analog watch White Light

It's pretty obvious from the picture above that the MR-G is significantly bigger than the EDIFICE, but it is also MUCH MUCH thicker (16.9mm vs 8.9mm):

Collar Output device Audio equipment Gadget Eyewear

3. Dial
Both watches have beautiful detailed dials. Check for ex the nice shiny light blue accent on the bottom sub-dial of the EDIFICE.

Watch Photograph Analog watch White Light

But in terms of details and finishing, the MR-G is of course on a different level (check the curved and sculpted indexes, the rose-gold chapter ring and screws, the 3d effect on the bottom left sub-dial, the black&gray scales on the dial itself, dual colored hands etc.):

Wheel Analog watch Light Automotive tire Blue

4. Bracelet / caseback
The bracelet on the MR-G is made of some sort of ultra-tough resin (which is a pain in the b## to cut). I have however no doubt that it will last for a very long time. Clasp is mille TI like the case.

The bracelet on the EDIFICE looks half decent, but it's actually the worse part of the watch: folded links, pressed clasp. It's pretty cheap. Sacrifices have to be made at this price point and I think Casio made the right choice ultimately.

Joint Hand Eyewear Finger Material property

Automotive lighting Musical instrument Office supplies Automotive exterior Bumper

I don't have pictures of the caseback for the MR-G, but it's totally in line with the rest of the watch.

Pretty standard caseback on the EDIFICE (no screwdown):

Watch Font Circle Analog watch Metal

5. Use Case

It's quite personal of course. I use the EDIFICE as an "under the radar" office/travel watch. I also have some swiss mechanical watches when I somehow need to make "an impression" (which is rare, and which I generally find unpleasant). I use the MR-G more as a casual weekend watch, although I don't hesitate to wear it in fancy restaurants (even with a suit) when I feel like wearing it.

Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hello Team G!

I thought It could be interesting to compare the flagship of the EDIFICE line, the EQB-1100, with (arguably) the flagship of the whole casio line: the MR-G, which I also bought very recently.

Let's first deal with the elephant in the room: yes; my MR-G is approximately 9 times more expensive than the Edifice, so there is no suspense regarding which one will be better finished etc. The whole point of this review is to assess how much better the MR-G really is

1. Functions

Both watches have in common: Solar powered, Bluetooth (+App), stopwatch, dual time (with AM/PM indicators), Alarm, Perpetual Calendar,

To this list the MR-G adds: a timer + MB6

NB: the stopwatch on the Edifice also offers a 200laps memory (timed to 1/1000th of a sec, which doesn't make any sense lol) that can be imported in the app

2. Case & bezel

MR-G
: Sapphire crystal with AR coating, Hardened Ion plated titanium for the case with a quite exclusive crystallized titanium bezel, WR 200m (iso certified)
EDIFICE: Sapphire crystal with AR coating (NB: the coating seems slightly less efficient than on the MR-G somehow), stainless steel for the case and a beautiful shiny blue ion plated bezel, WR 100m (non screw down crown)

Of course the MR-G is also resistant to shocks/centrifugal accelerations/magnetic fields, the EDIFICE is not.

I think both watches are gorgeous in a different way.

View attachment 16141138

It's pretty obvious from the picture above that the MR-G is significantly bigger than the EDIFICE, but it is also MUCH MUCH thicker (16.9mm vs 8.9mm):

View attachment 16141149

3. Dial
Both watches have beautiful detailed dials. Check for ex the nice shiny light blue accent on the bottom sub-dial of the EDIFICE.

View attachment 16141141

But in terms of details and finishing, the MR-G is of course on a different level (check the curved and sculpted indexes, the rose-gold chapter ring and screws, the 3d effect on the bottom left sub-dial, the black&gray scales on the dial itself, dual colored hands etc.):

View attachment 16141142

4. Bracelet / caseback
The bracelet on the MR-G is made of some sort of ultra-tough resin (which is a pain in the b## to cut). I have however no doubt that it will last for a very long time. Clasp is mille TI like the case.

The bracelet on the EDIFICE looks half decent, but it's actually the worse part of the watch: folded links, pressed clasp. It's pretty cheap. Sacrifices have to be made at this price point and I think Casio made the right choice ultimately.

View attachment 16141153

View attachment 16141157

I don't have pictures of the caseback for the MR-G, but it's totally in line with the rest of the watch.

Pretty standard caseback on the EDIFICE (no screwdown):

View attachment 16141158

5. Use Case

It's quite personal of course. I use the EDIFICE as an "under the radar" office/travel watch. I also have some swiss mechanical watches when I somehow need to make "an impression" (which is rare, and which I generally find unpleasant). I use the MR-G more as a casual weekend watch, although I don't hesitate to wear it in fancy restaurants (even with a suit) when I feel like wearing it.

View attachment 16141159
Nice comparison. Which one feels best OTW and which do you look forward to wearing more than the other?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Celt, the Edifice feels best on the wrist and wearing the MR-G always feels "special"🙂

Reactions: Dxnnis and Celt001

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Some things I forgot to mention:
  • Second hands hit the markers ~perfectly on both watches
  • The MRG automatically connects to the app once you open the app (no need to press any button once it has been paired). It's not the same on my other BT Casio watches. Quite convenient.
  • I don't like the feel of the crown on the MRG. I understand there's some engineering going on to make the crown very resistant to shocks but the result is unpleasant.
  • The EDIFICE is lume only. It's decent but nothing to write home about. On the other hand the MR-G uses both lume (not amazing either) and a great LED light which is a pleasure to use (will do a shot later).
  • Due to the lack of markings (which certainly adds class to the dial), reading the bottom left sub-dial (chronograph/timer) is difficult on the MR-G. There is also no way (that i know of) to get the hour/minute hands out the way. In both regards the latest B2000 MT-G is much better. Can't move the hands either on the EDIFICE but the dual time zone sub-dial is much more legible due to the complete markings.
  • Weight is 124g for the EDIFICE and 138g for the MR-G
  • This EDIFICE is also one of the rare examples from Casio of an unintuitive user interface. It's not easy at all to get how to use the alarm or even the chronometer. Once you've understood, it's ok. Just not intuitive.
  • The MR-G's positionning makes it quite a unique offering in the 3k$ price range IMO. No real competition. The same cannot be said about the EDIFICE. It is however an amazingly solid offering, nicely priced and with a very attractive design. It is thus the epitome of what makes Edifice watches great IMO.
  • EDIT (thanks to @Undo Button): the mechanism on the EDIFICE is slow, even sluggish when compared to the MR-G. However I don't find it to be an issue on a day to day basis (only the local time is slow to adjust with the big hour/minute hands, but you only do that once, the second time zone on the other hand is more than fast enough).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello KOwatch, just my honest opinion on both watches. What made you think I was being "very diplomatic" (out of curiosity)? :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Some things I forgot to mention:
  • Second hands hit the markers ~perfectly on both watches
  • The MRG automatically connects to the app once you open the app (no need to press any button once it has been paired). It's not the same on my other BT Casio watches. Quite convenient.
  • I don't like the feel of the crown on the MRG. I understand there's some engineering going on to make the crown very resistant to shocks but the result is unpleasant.
  • The EDIFICE is lume only. It's decent but nothing to write home about. On the other hand the MR-G uses both lume (not amazing either) and a great LED light which is a pleasure to use (will do a shot later).
  • Due to the lack of markings (which certainly adds class to the dial), reading the bottom left sub-dial (chronometer/timer) is difficult on the MR-G. There is also no way (that i know of) to get the hour/minute hands out the way. In both regards the latest B2000 MT-G is much better.
  • Weight is 124g for the EDIFICE and 138g for the MR-G
  • This EDIFICE is also one of the rare examples from Casio of an unintuitive user interface. It's not easy at all to get how to use the alarm or even the chronometer. Once you've understood, it's ok. Just not intuitive.
  • The MR-G's positionning makes it quite a unique offering in the 3k$ price range IMO. No real competition. The same cannot be said about the EDIFICE. It is however an amazingly solid offering, nicely priced and with a very attractive design. It is thus the epitome of what makes Edifice watches great IMO.
Thanks for the addition. It enhances your initial comparison beneficially.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not the perfect shot but here it is.

Watch Analog watch Purple Plant Clock

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Nice breakdown and great pics. Happy to see another 1100 on here. I have the gunmetal IP version and love how flat and thin it sits on wrist. Enjoy yours!
Watch Analog watch Light Blue Azure

·
Registered
58 Posts
As the top-of-the-line Edifice model, the slow mechanism (even slower than a GST B100) is a big dissapointment. Beautiful model though. The new EQB-1200 is unfortunately another huge dissapointment. Looks like every other lower Edifice model out there.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
As the top-of-the-line Edifice model, the slow mechanism (even slower than a GST B100) is a big dissapointment. Beautiful model though. The new EQB-1200 is unfortunately another huge dissapointment. Looks like every other lower Edifice model out there.
Thanks for pointing that out! Big miss in my review.

The mechanism is indeed slow, even sluggish when compared to the MR-G.

However I don't find it to be an issue on a day to day basis (only the local time is slow to adjust with the big hour/minute hands, but you only do that once, the second time zone on the other hand is more than fast enough).

Also, it's indeed the top-of-the-line Edifice model but it's still very cheap. Probably too much to ask for dual coil motors on this one and let's remember it's only 8.9mm thick with loads of features :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
For those who came from mid to high range G-Shocks, the top-of-the-line Edifice is a huge change (or shock). Cost more than a GST B100. But no LED or EL, no shock/vibration resist, main draw are the slim design. I guess adding these features may add to the bulk seen in most G-Shocks. The date change feels like turtle. After all, the Edifice tagline is "Speed & Intelligence". Maybe should chg to "Sleep & Intelligence"?? Another issue is they keep re-using the same module, no innovation at all for the top models.The stopwatch linked to the app (lap difference) is almost useless in an analog watch. But the EQB-1100 is super slim and the only Edifice design I am fond of.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For those who came from mid to high range G-Shocks, the top-of-the-line Edifice is a huge change (or shock). Cost more than a GST B100. But no LED or EL, no shock/vibration resist, main draw are the slim design. I guess adding these features may add to the bulk seen in most G-Shocks. The date change feels like turtle. After all, the Edifice tagline is "Speed & Intelligence". Maybe should chg to "Sleep & Intelligence"?? Another issue is they keep re-using the same module, no innovation at all for the top models.The stopwatch linked to the app (lap difference) is almost useless in an analog watch. But the EQB-1100 is super slim and the only Edifice design I am fond of.
I realize how this can be annoying to some.

On a side note I hesitated for a while with the Oceanus OCW-S5000 but finally opted for the EQB-1100. It's 4x less expensive with similar features (the only real minus to my taste being Titanium case & bracelet) and whose looks I slightly prefer (although there are some limited edition S5000s which are absolutely gorgeous).

Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Watch accessory Clock

Reactions: Mr.Jones82

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats, you've made the right choice, actually I was planning to get this model a while ago (ended with the EQB 1100 AT) The bezel shape really made the model more attractive than the EQB-1000 (an even slimmer model). However the clasp is a let down. I really dislike bulky or thick models (except the Mudmaster), anything exceeding 16mm is a deal-breaker for me. The ideal is 14mm. But even at 14mm, not suitable for long sleeve shirts. That is where the super slim Edifice excels.

Your MRG appears to be using the same module as the MTG B2000, judging by the look.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you, I have zero regrets (so far).

Regarding the modules, numbers don't seem to match and there's an additional button on the MT-G (which gets the hour/minute hands out of the way if memory serves me well).
However I don't think Casio started from scratch with the MTG B2000 (too costly) so I wouldn't be surprised if they built the MTG B2000 module using the MR-G module as a base.

If anyone has additional info I'm interested.

Reactions: GrouchoM

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, the MTG B2000 module seems to be similiar to some MRG models.

Speaking of Edifice, the only other Edifice model that attracts my interest is the ECB-10 series.\ I do find it slightly bigger than expected. The module seems more advance than the EQB-1000, 1100 & 1200, that is, will auto connect via bluetooth if the watch is near, in comparison to set for times per day for the EQBs.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, the MTG B2000 module seems to be similiar to some MRG models.

Speaking of Edifice, the only other Edifice model that attracts my interest is the ECB-10 series.\ I do find it slightly bigger than expected. The module seems more advance than the EQB-1000, 1100 & 1200, that is, will auto connect via bluetooth if the watch is near, in comparison to set for times per day for the EQBs.

View attachment 16146465

Looks good. This auto-connect functionnality is present on my MR-G, it's a nice feature.
If you buy it please do a review of the module vs the EQB-1100.
Would be interesting to start building a knowledge base on the EDIFICE modules and their respective performances.

Reactions: Undo Button

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
It seems to me that the current MTG-B2000 range would make a better comparison to the Edifice.

The MTG module also auto-connects to the app via Bluetooth, which I much prefer to the manual connection of my Squares. The top left button of the MTG is the one that moves the main hands out of the way so you can read the subdials clearly.

You mention Chronometer a few times but I think you mean Chronograph (stopwatch)?

Reactions: CasioExplorer
1 - 20 of 27 Posts