WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Im in a bit of a dilemma really :-s Need your help / comments. I have always liked Edox watches, they are very distinct in design. I did own an old model Chronograph Big Date which I really miss. Now Edox have brought out a few new models :pwhich I am looking to buy.....

They are both Quartz models, and that is what is stopping me from pulling the trigger......So I ask......for over $1,000 are these models "worth it"? Bearing in mind Edox watches are built to a VERY high standard, they are extremely good looking, well built, SOLID, use high grade/performance materials / ceramic....etc!

I know at the end of the day it comes to "personal taste" Just need extra opinions....and if so - what would be a great alternative?

Thanks in advance.
OS.

PS: Im really digging the PVD version.........:-!

·
Registered
994 Posts
What's wrong with quartz?
I bet that if you get one, you'll have a really nice, good looking, dependable, shock resistant, accurate, exclusive piece that will last a lifetime. Plus, the battery swaps are going to be very easy.
If you tried them on, you like them, and can afford them i say IMHO GO FOR IT!!.
I'm glad i'm the first one to answer your thread, in a couple of minutes everyone will start suggesting Seikos and Hamiltons (not that there's anything wrong with them).

If you get the watch, post pics ok!

Take care

RR

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's wrong with quartz?
I bet that if you get one, you'll have a really nice, good looking, dependable, shock resistant, accurate, exclusive piece that will last a lifetime. Plus, the battery swaps are going to be very easy.
If you tried them on, you like them, and can afford them i say IMHO GO FOR IT!!.

If you get the watch, post pics ok!

Take care

RR
Hey RR, thanks for a positive first reply :-!.

I wasnt implying theres anything wrong with Quartz at all. What I was trying to get at was the Quartz-to-price / "value for money" thing........But I totally get what youre saying :thanks
. Leaving price aside I think they are worth it......|><|?

I havnt tried any of the new models on, I have just seen pictures on the internet - I just love the design! b-)

I will most probably get one, and will be sure to post pics!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I like the EDOX Class 1 GMT, and if it were a bit smaller, I'd pick one up. That's a nice looking chrono, and I agree that quartz is often times superior to automatics. If you can get a good deal on that one, I'd say go for it! |>

·
Registered
478 Posts
there are a couple of nice ETA 7750 powered chronos for under $1000. Honestly speaking when I see any watch with that subdial layout I lose interest. A fair price for that watch would be $500. You could get a very nice lum-tec with quartz chrono for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Not into chronographs, but the steel one looks better to me. What's with the big '1' on the PVD version? That's a real shame. What were they thinking? Otherwise it's a great looking watch. A deal breaker for me, though.

I think anything over $150 for a quartz and you're into 'I don't care what it costs, I like it so I'm gonna have it!' territory. Like clothes, cars, and other consumer products, watch buying is an emotional thing. If you have the money, it isn't about price, it's about what you want to do with your money that will make you feel good (for whatever reason, even marketing hype). So I agree that if you think this will float your boat then you should definitely go for it!

·
Registered
37,143 Posts
Like clothes, cars, and other consumer products, watch buying is an emotional thing. If you have the money, it isn't about price, it's about what you want to do with your money that will make you feel good (for whatever reason, even marketing hype). So I agree that if you think this will float your boat then you should definitely go for it!
Agreed. :-!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:think::think::think: Hmmmmmmmmm a very mixed response!!

Corruptor: I agree, the class-1 GMT is a stunner. Thanks for positive comments!

PyroLume: I have seen Lum-Tec's, not my cup of tea! See I had the same thought about $500 being a decent price for a quartz....but as I said in my post, Edox watches are made to the HIGHEST quality, I mean, workmanship, build, styling, finishing, materials, fabrication........so was just thinking thats sort of makes up for the fact that its a quartz........:-s

BarryH: Thanks for the input mate. I think the "1" is what attracts me to that version (that and the red/black combo)....its just different! Haha I like your perspective re quartz watches (refer to my comments to PyroLume above)........but thank you for ending on a positive / supportive note :-!

THANKS GUYS! |>

·
Registered
172 Posts
I like the day/date. On their website they only show a black face, the one I saw was white, it was sharp. We have a local AD now for Edox, I was snooping the other day and I was sure they were all automatics.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the day/date. On their website they only show a black face, the one I saw was white, it was sharp. We have a local AD now for Edox, I was snooping the other day and I was sure they were all automatics.
Hey jeff! Yeah thats a beautiful model too. I think they did do a white dial day/date version but its an older model.

Nooooooo, unfortunately they arent all autos :-(......the majority of them are, except for the chrono big date and retrograde! The rest are autos though.....WOW a local AD - Id be there every day! :-!

:thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey jeff! Yeah thats a beautiful model too. I think they did do a white dial day/date version but its an older model.

Nooooooo, unfortunately they arent all autos :-(......the majority of them are, except for the chrono big date and retrograde! The rest are autos though.....WOW a local AD - Id be there every day! :-!

:thanks
The white is an older model really, hmm.........maybe I should go buy it. Our new AD just became an AD for Edox within the last few months. He's also 1 of 2 Oris ADs, thats why I was there in the 1st place.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The white is an older model really, hmm.........maybe I should go buy it. Our new AD just became an AD for Edox within the last few months. He's also 1 of 2 Oris ADs, thats why I was there in the 1st place.
Yup it sure is! The newest models both have a black grid dial it seems.....although one is finished in an all silver look and the other has gold touches (to the screws etc). Also it seems they have change the bezel slightly, texture of the dials and push buttons :think:. Im surprised Edox arent more popular.......

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am interested in this thread too. Is this Edox reliable compare to Oris ?
Tough call. Oris are a well established Swiss watchmaker who's reliability is EXTREMELY high! Edox make watches as part of their sponsorship to the Class-1 motorboat racing heritage.......as far as quality and style is concerned I could not falter Edox, my old chronograph big date was one of the nicest watches I ever owned......

Edox are a dark horse, you dont hear much about them! :think: You wouldnt go wrong with an Oris......

·
Registered
579 Posts
tell me where you live and have an AD, I have been in contact with EDOX for many months via email because there is no AD in the USA that I found; they will sell direct, I wanted the chronoffshore model with the AUTO ETA but the price was near $3k...the feedback I got and I FELT TOO that it was too expesive, step up a few more hundred and get an OMEGA PO, etc, I do like their watches, look at the post at the top, someone just posted the NEWEST models, wow, awesome....then look at the price! yikes, dogdoc

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tell me where you live and have an AD, I have been in contact with EDOX for many months via email because there is no AD in the USA that I found; they will sell direct, I wanted the chronoffshore model with the AUTO ETA but the price was near $3k...the feedback I got and I FELT TOO that it was too expesive, step up a few more hundred and get an OMEGA PO, etc, I do like their watches, look at the post at the top, someone just posted the NEWEST models, wow, awesome....then look at the price! yikes, dogdoc
I live in the UK, we dont have an AD here either :-| which sucks, although its easier for me to deal direct their prices are still a little on the high side......as I said Edox are a dark horse and sometimes I too feel its worth spending 3K on a more well known brand......

Sent you a PM though. :-!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts