WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been asked many times. I don't own a G Shock, but I'm intrigued--especially by all the love they get on WUS. What's the attraction? It can't just be about how tough they are. Many watches have this quality. There must be something else. What is it? I'm sincerely interested to hear. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,444 Posts
Toughness is one thing. Also the variety in style and design. The main thing for me is the functionality of the watches. There are a variety of functions and features which appeal to many different people. There are mud resistant watches, watches with rally timers, vibration alerts instead of tome alerts. Some have e-data storage. One main thing is the fact that many are solar powered which means the watch can go twenty plus years on a single battery. Also, some like atomic syncing so they know their watch is always accurate. Those are just some thoughts off the top of my head.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have, until this past month, also avoided G-Shocks. It’s honestly because of a completely misplaced sense of timepiece snobbery.

I have a few nice mechanical timepieces. Nothing over the top but certainly well respected manufacturers and movements, even if not in the top-tier of what those makers offer. I also have had a version of the Apple Watch since day 1/Gen 1. It’s also an interesting offering though not mechanical. It has so much functionality.

I love all of those for what they are - so why G-Shock?

It’s the application of a stand-alone (or nearly so depending on model) hardware and sensory array - neatly packaged and executed in these obnoxiously large and ugly (so ugly they’re beauties in their own right), immensely tough exteriors. So many different function families to choose from, fun aesthetics, infinite combos. One can go pricy or inexpensive and the quality is always there. There is a unique design methodology and thought process that is so uniquely “G-Shock,” and it’s fun to explore! These aren’t pretentious - they’re often ridiculous and there is a G-Shock or 12 for everyone.

Lastly - one might want to be dismissive of a mass produced timepiece at an affordable price - but one can’t deny the quality of design, construction, and warranty to back it up - dare I say on that level it rivals makers on any tier.

·
Premium Member
9,966 Posts
I'm sure this has been asked many times. I don't own a G Shock, but I'm intrigued--especially by all the love they get on WUS. What's the attraction? It can't just be about how tough they are. Many watches have this quality. There must be something else. What is it? I'm sincerely interested to hear. Thanks.
what watch is tougher than a G-shock?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It combines trendy and classic, functional and stylish, casual and serious, cheap and high quality, etc. Sometime they can bring you good return on investment. Young and mature people can enjoy wearing it without pressure.

Wah

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its mostly like Wah said above. And I feel that its kind of like belonging to a club or family that you can really enjoy and appreciate. It doesn't matter if your G cost you $50 or $5,000. Each one is admired and appreciated unto itself.

I won't say it's a cult thing or an addiction but they are my absolute favorites as far as wrist feel and wear time goes.

I have a dozen or so timepieces in my collection. Some I probably splurged on from a cost perspective. My Gs are certainly not at the top of cost pyramid. But maybe reverence is the right word to describe the brand's keeping with its original premise of indestructibility and it therefore has become worthy of its followers' honors. When I want that good and happy feeling, on goes a G.

Here is my fav ...

·
Registered
54 Posts
G-Shock are perfect grab and go. As mechanical collectors, it could be a huge revelation... and there are a lot of those collectors here.
They're fun, but not disposable, and there are a lot to choose from (at pretty much any price point).

Mass-market but not disposable is a really nice segment to buy into. Some other mass-market watches--really nice looking watches, with lots of variety--either wear out quickly or require the wearer to be very careful with them.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Their infinite convenience. Grab and go: always accurate, no need to set, wind or charge. Solar, so the battery is good for 10-20 years. Tough and resistant: no need to worry about accidents, dirt or water. You'll see it in the dark with the built-in light. They are inexpensive, but complete packages. One may or may not like the style, but there is no denying that in terms of functionality G Shocks are hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
6,791 Posts
For me, some of the reasons, in any combo
  • selection.....from a $50 digital, all the way up to a $4000+ MR-G
  • solar
  • MB6, Bluetooth or gps accurate
  • tough GADA watches
  • style

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd have to say that the G-Shock is the Tabasco of tough watches: the original, and still good, even if it has been surpassed. It deserves some love for being there and staying strong.

Back in the 70's, Tabasco was just about it if you wanted a hot sauce. Now there are thousands of sauces on the market, from mild with crazy names, to disgusting-tasting uber hot sauces made with capsaicin extract, and even a few truly hot sauces with great flavor. But really: one should have a bottle of Tabasco in the cabinet to go along with the new favorites. It was the original when no one else was doing it, it has its own flavor, story, and history, and it's still good.

A lot of people like the G-Shock look, but it's only okay to me. I had one, it got stolen in Afghanistan, and I never replaced it. It was fun to see how much abuse the watch could take, but it was also so darn big that I'd bump into doorways with it.

Though if your other watches cost $500 to $5,000 or more, I can see why you'd want an inexpensive tough watch that's generally accepted as decent.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I didn't quite understand it either, until I bought one (5610 square). Then I upgraded it with a combi bracelet and all of a sudden it's nearly my favorite watch. I recommend taking the plunge on one of the less expensive models and see for yourself. It's some sort of magic or somethingo_O

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I was tired of having to change the batteries on other watches (some morning, I wanted to wear it: picked it up only to find out it is dead)
and tired of having concerns about wearing automatic to keep it running
even in some solar-power ones, the battery's life is not that great
NOT WITH G-SHOCK
I picked up my first one at a flea market for 20 bucks
and went down the rabbit hole since then
that Gshock is still running, btw

·
Registered
Zelos Mako V3 bronze frost || Casio PRW-7000X || Casio Gulfman GW-9100 || Victorinox INOX Mechanical
366 Posts
Toughness + weightless + no worries + affordable + easy mods
When i started my watch journey my concern was that my watches as a kid broked or stopped function. So One of my first search terms was:
"Most durable watches ever"
And that leaded to my first watch purchase( until then i only had watches as a gift) a Mudman g9300.

One more thing, if it looks worn out, buy a strap and bezel and its new again, you can even Change colours.

IMG_20210416_072224108_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I started in the watch hobby about fifteen years ago. In that time Casio/G-Shock have gone from hideous wrist things that I would never ever consider owning, to one of my favorites of them all. I can't explain it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts