WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! First time poster on this forum—I’ve sold a thing or two on here...

I’ve got a line on a supposed Movado Datron Chronograph HS 360 Sea Sub.
Wanted thoughts as you guys know much more than I could even hope to know.
What especially concerns me is the El Primero movement (if that’s really what it is): movement says ‘31 jewels’ where I read that Movado changed the jewel number from 31 to 17 in order to reduce import costs. As photos show, this one still indicates 31 jewels. Also, as this is an old piece, again, I thought a quick glance from the pros at the forum could alert me to any potential issues.
Thanks much in advance—
Scott
76A88BAC-5C6A-4D7C-9097-0E4698B574EC.png
76A88BAC-5C6A-4D7C-9097-0E4698B574EC.png

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Do you have the watch's entire province? Do you know which market it was originally made for?

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,024 Posts
It looks legit to me. I am assuming "51" in your post is a typo for "31."
You answered part of your mystery knowing the jewel count was changed to reduce import costs. What that suggests is that the jewel count on this movement was not changed because there were no import costs, i.e. domestic market.
Please understand this is my opinion based on my experience, and not irrefutable fact. My experience is not vast, but a decade ago I did absorb much information about the EP due to a (then) obsession with the movement. I even bought the Zenith coffee table book :)

Edit: Though I frequently post in the Public Forum to get "more eyes" on the question, you might consider posting this to the Zenith forum as well. Yeah, it's a bit slower there, but (as I remember it) there are some very knowledgeable people on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! Thanks so much for your expertise, fellas. It is greatly appreciated. I'm told it's working well & it was serviced, but I have yet to receive proof of that job (I asked a couple hours ago).
As for providence, no, I don't know any of that. . .

Thank you again!
Scott

·
Registered
440 Posts
Wow! Thanks so much for your expertise, fellas. It is greatly appreciated. I'm told it's working well & it was serviced, but I have yet to receive proof of that job (I asked a couple hours ago).
As for providence, no, I don't know any of that. . .

Thank you again!
Scott
Is it better to have providence or provenance?

Because you don't have the latter, I'd go with the former and pray that it all works out.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I don't think you could take out that many jewels from an automatic chronograph and still have it function well... I'm happy to be corrected on this, but I think that design needs 31 jewels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts