WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my G-Shock manuals they all state that the Electro-Luminescent panel "loses power after very long use". Does anyone have their G-Shock luminescent panel die on them?

I'm wondering that with the auto-illumination turned on, how many uses can we get out of the luminescent panel before it dies.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
The EL panel should last about 100 hours atleast, and if you use the EL for an average of 20 seconds a day then thats just a little over 2 hours per year so it should then last for over 50 years...

But I think it can be used for even more then 100 hours if the hours is used fast when it is newer. The EL material I think degrades over time and becomes weaker but atleast 20-30 years should be no problem...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joakim,

What you said sounds reasonable. I just wish that Casio states such information in the spec. in their manuals.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm wondering that with the auto-illumination turned on, how many uses can we get out of the luminescent panel before it dies.
I'd stop worrying about that issue. These backlight panels have been built into PDAs for several years (before color LCDs were common) and they were illuminated for much longer time in a couple of days than a G-SHOCK EL panel is likely to be subjected to in the watches whole life.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Actually I have seen G-Shocks with very poor EL on them. One is about 5 years old and the other about 6. The EL is very very dim. So I guess it depends.
From my experience this is more likely due to manufacturing tolerance and battery level rather than aging EL panels. That is, unless they're extremely dim with a brand new battery...

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
From my experience this is more likely due to manufacturing tolerance and battery level rather than aging EL panels. That is, unless they're extremely dim with a brand new battery...
Or unless you're talking about an EL panel from a solar powered G. Those are commonly known to be dimmer than the EL from a non-solar watch.

:-!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Both the watches were solar powered frogs that I really wanted. On the Gold Defender, the EL was so bad, I could only see it in total darkness. On the red jelly ICERC, it was only slightly better. And in both cases, the battery was fully charged. In fact, on the red jelly, the battery was new, just changed by Casio.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Or unless you're talking about an EL panel from a solar powered G. Those are commonly known to be dimmer than the EL from a non-solar watch.
And this, I presume, is -besides manufacturing tolerances- due to the fact that this is the result of the rechargeable cells having less oomph and/or the brightness is deliberately turned down to use less power.

Anyway, based on my experience with EL panels in other devices, I really don't even think about the brightness decreasing with use.

Remember that not only PDAs have used this type of backlight. EL panels have been used in nightlights and car dashboards (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroluminescence), clearly designed for extended illumination durations. If significant fading really was an issue, EL panels obviously wouldn't be the technology of choice for those applications.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

:-!
aww man really? how long do solar el's last, anybody know?:-s

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
As some other posters have indicated, the life of ELs is probably entirely academic, unless there is a fault in manufacture.

I'm pretty sure my lights will start to fade before those on my watches. ;-)

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Electro Luminescent displays longevity is directly dependent on the temperature where it is being used and also the amount of substance used. So different EL panels will have different life span. EL molecules degrade over time since they are bio degradebale. This means that the light output gradually decline, to achieve sufficent brigthness then it means more and more of the substance will be required to achieve it. Also more power will be required to light it up sufficently...

Therefor the EL panels in G-Shocks can not last as long as the EL panel in some other bigger, high power panels such as PDA's or other stuff that has a much thicker layer of the stuff and stronger batteries.

So I estimate about 20-30 years of use in a G-Shock!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
thats strange i have a dw-5400 from 1984-85 and the bulb light still works fine, so im assuming that the old style lighting lasts longer than the new EL's???

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
thats strange i have a dw-5400 from 1984-85 and the bulb light still works fine, so im assuming that the old style lighting lasts longer than the new EL's???
The old style bulbs also known as Incandescent lights do not degrade over time. they always have a fixed burntime. But they can break from shocks more easily then EL panels.

How long they last depend mostly on the amount of use...

Your watch is then 23-24 years old and I think that EL's will last that long. Up to 30 years with 20 seconds per day use is my estimate...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts