WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...how do they work together? Is there an auto mode? Manual locking of one or the other? More Vector like??

From the pics looks like it shows both alti values and baro values at the same time.??

·
Registered
797 Posts
The Terra is very Vector like. There is no auto mode, nor locking mode. You can read current pressure on the outter ring, and you also get same 6 hour trend indicator like from the Vector. Please note the current altitude is displayed all the time.

The Ventus on the other hand gets a 12 hour pressure graph.

You can now download the user guide for all three models on the Elementum site.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The Terra is very Vector like. There is no auto mode, nor locking mode. You can read current pressure on the outter ring, and you also get same 6 hour trend indicator like from the Vector. Please note the current altitude is displayed all the time.

The Ventus on the other hand gets a 12 hour pressure graph.

You can now download the user guide for all three models on the Elementum site.
I had originally posted that the Terra has no altitude lock - someone else posted and said this isn't true - are you sure there is no altitude lock?

When in the office or at home, I find this very useful for accurate barometric pressure tracking.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I had originally posted that the Terra has no altitude lock - someone else posted and said this isn't true - are you sure there is no altitude lock?

When in the office or at home, I find this very useful for accurate barometric pressure tracking.
I can't find anything on the manual that describes Altitude lock like on the Core. There is a global button lock in order to avoid going into settings/menus accidentally, though.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
I think the idea of the Elementum line is to be as simple as possible.

These watches are not marketed to us techno-weenies. I mean we argue over our barometers being .05 off. :)

IMHO these watches are not aimed at folks who are long term field users of the Suunto products. I think they are aimed to "bring in" a whole new market. People who most likely don't care if their altimeter locks, drifts, or is super accurate.

Again, the line is not a step forward in technology (except for the "rotating pusher"... which I LOVE). The Elementum line is a step into a new market and targeted at a new consumer group.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I think the idea of the Elementum line is to be as simple as possible.
I concur, and it's a great marketing strategy. A clean, stylish, relatively simple line.
These watches are not marketed to us techno-weenies.
What? .... how did you know I was a "techno-weenie" ?
The Elementum line is a step into a new market and targeted at a new consumer group.
Precisely! Suunto is to be admired for breaking out of a well established mold and venturing out to acquire customers that might otherwise ignore their watches.

Cheers,
archer6... Mr. Techno-Weenie... :-!

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Its not like the Vector, X6, X10, Core etc are going anywhere. :)

Well, my Core is about to go on a nice ling bike ride! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys. I just discovered this site and its great. I am living in Finland and belong to the lucky ones who will get the first Elementum models for trial use sometime in late June. Can't wait - it's gonna be a very very long three weeks ahead of me!

In my opinion this new line-up is exactly what has been missing from Suunto's offering - i.e. a premium offering. I just hope that they will follow suite also with their heart rate monitors. T4C and T6C are great feature-wise (particularly the latter) - but they are a not that great looking for everyday wear. I'd love to have a metal-cased "T7C" with mineral glass etc.!

Anyway thanks for your writings, it's been a joy to read your stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thats right, there is no ALT lock on the elementum. The pressure displayed with the elevation is just the reference pressure from when the altimiter was last calibrated.

·
Registered
651 Posts
When your altitude changes, also the barometric indicator changes?
How does the watch distinguishes a baro changes from an altitude changes?

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
When your altitude changes, also the barometric indicator changes?
How does the watch distinguishes a baro changes from an altitude changes?
It looks like it doesn't... so poor user who works on the 30th floor will probably think it going to rain every time he goes down the elevator...

Thankfully watch does not have a storm alam either... ;-):-d

Sorry... could not resist... LOL:-d

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
... so poor user who works on the 30th floor will probably think it going to rain every time he goes down the elevator...

Sorry... could not resist... LOL:-d
Sheesh.. I love the humor on this forum... ten points to you....:-d

Cheers...

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm sure I posted this before but since this is a dedicated 'Terra alti/baro thread here it is again ;-)

The alti/baro mode on the Terra functions like the 'Auto' mode on the Core, meaning that the Terra is constantly scanning the changes in pressure and swapping between reading these pressure changes as either altitude or barometric changes. The only difference between the Core Auto mode and the Terra auto mode is that the Core will show whether it is using alti or baro at any given time while the Terra will not. :-!

This should not be confused with the way that the Vector operates - the Vector has no idea what is going on :-d

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Sorry to bother..but are you sure about this fact? I mean how does the watch know in what mode it is? Because if that would be the case, it would be another new development...and I'm sure Suunto would point this out.
According to the manual it works exactly like the Vector...changing both readings constantly...but than again you own the watch...

cheers...

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Well, this would make sense. The Terra would "know" that you are climbing or sitting just like the Core in auto mode. I think what Magnum is saying is that the only difference is that the user does not have to choose a particular mode, and the watch wont show what it is doing.

The proof would likely be in the pudding. If thats the case, the Terra shoudl be more accurate like a Core in auto mode.

My Ventus has no idea what the altitude is... he just doesn't care... he years for the wind at his back, a tight sail, and clear skies.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yes, I am sure :-d

The Terra is using a modified version of the Core 'Auto' mode algorithm. The difference is that the Terra has no user interface to display how pressure changes are currently being interpreted (altitude or barometric).

A VERY basic description of how the algorithm works is that pressure changes differently when you change in altitude than when the weather changes - e.g. if you leave your home and walk down a 10 meter flight of stairs your Core (or Terra) will change from baro to alti mode as it has registered a pressure change of more than 1hPa in a very short period of time - weather does not change this quickly.

The 'always on' auto mode also explains why the battery life on the Terra is slightly shorter than the other Elementum products. ;-)

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The Core will stay in the changed mode for 12 minutes before changing back if no movement is detected. "No Movement" ='s anything less than 20 feet of change. This will allow the auto mode to change back to baro mode. I wonder how long and what amount of change the Terra will need to change modes??:think:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts