WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had forgotten all about this watch for a long time. My father got it at a flea market in the mid-1990s and I carried it for a while trying to be cool in high school. It can't be wound right now but can be set, and could possibly be repaired, but I don't know if it's worth fixing, or even if it's real:
DSC_0294.JPG
DSC_0295.JPG
DSC_0297.JPG
S/N 3704419 on the movement.
DSC_0296.JPG
Fahys Montauk Case, Pat. April 22, 1879

Is this a watch or should I give it to my wife to make steampunk things?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
It's a lovely old Elgin 18sz pocket watch from 1890 (Elgin Pocket Watch Serial Number 3704419 Information). Fairly easy to fix for someone who knows how. It'd be a shame to see a functional 120 year old piece of history get ripped apart for "art", but that's your call. Not sure what that pat. refers to; the only "watchcase" related patent filed on that date is for a swing-out case.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a lovely old Elgin 18sz pocket watch from 1890 (Elgin Pocket Watch Serial Number 3704419 Information). Fairly easy to fix for someone who knows how. It'd be a shame to see a functional 120 year old piece of history get ripped apart for "art", but that's your call. Not sure what that pat. refers to; the only "watchcase" related patent filed on that date is for a swing-out case.
Oh no, I meant if it's fake, it gets turned into a brooch or something. I'll happily start looking for someone to fix it since it's not. I actually wouldn't mind carrying it again once in a great while. It's in pretty attractive shape for its age.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts