WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on my complete inability to afford this hobby, I've decided to try repairing a watch. I thought, based on no information whatsoever, that it might be easier on a larger watch. I found this watch (which I already love). I'm wondering if there is any obvious red flags. Is this model notoriously hard to repair. Is it known to be junk? Is this a frankenwatch from india?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks and Aloha

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
GrouchOldGuy...Hello! You've found an O size, 7 jewel watch.

I have worked on quite a few of these, & they are usually in very good shape. Elgin made really nice pieces, and this one is a good example. 7 Jewel watches can show a bit of wear around the pivots--most especially the upper 4th wheel ( that the second hand's affixed to )--but, with a small movement like this, things are usually OK.

Do be sure to 'peg out' the holes with a sharpened piece of pegwood ( what else...?!), and remove the balance jewels to thoroughly clean the hole & cap jewels.

Pay close attention to the escapement--pallet stones / impulse jewel / hairspring condition / balance pivots--since it's here that a 7 jewel watch needs all the help it can get!

I suggest synthetic oil ( I like Moebius ), and please use real watchmaker's cleaning & rinsing solutions ( I like L&R )...homemade stuff is just not worth it.

Feel free to PM me with any questions...I know these movements pretty well. Michael.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A bunch of Youtube later and the purchase of a hands puller I have the works free. There was some panicky moments when I lost the second hand and discover the importance of a clean work surface.

IMG_2577.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts