WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find the missing parts for this movement but I don't know all the terminology on this lever set mechanism. I will post a picture later to explain but it is missing the canon pinion and it appears that when in the winding position the ring wheel must engage a pinion on a missing wheel which engages the larger teeth on the canon? see this pic of a grade 80 which appears to be missing the same gear. My next question is why is there an engagement with the canon pinion in the winding position? grade 80.jpg

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The cannon pinion has the standard teeth that engage the minute wheel, but also below that much finer teeth that engage the fine teeth on the inside of the ring gear in setting mode, when the larger teeth of the ring gear engage the larger gear on the rocker plate.

In winding mode, the rocker plate rocks over to engage the teeth of the ratchet wheel (hidden under the small plate), winding the watch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That picture isn't actually my movement so I am not sure about the lever but the missing wheel is the minute wheel correct? It should rest over the ring wheel and engage the cannon pinion?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The minute wheel is not present in either of my pictures. Neither is the hour wheel.

I'll have to see pictures of your movement. If yours is missing the cannon pinion, that's a problem - those doubly-geared cannon pinions are hard to come by. I think the minute and hour wheels for that movement may be fairly standard Elgin 18s parts, but the cannon pinion is unique to that style of keyless works.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Yeah I cant find a parts watch for less than 30.00. That's a lot considering I need one or two parts from it.
I just spent $30 for a movement to get the escape wheel to replace the one with a broken lower pivot that came in a watch that was otherwise free. On the plus side, now that it's working and cleaned up, and has a new crystal and strap, it looks pretty good.

But definitely not free.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts