WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking for some information on this Elgin Pocket Watch. What I have found is it is approximately made in 1884 in Elgin Illinois, model 1, grade 81 as well the name G.M Wheeler? I am not 100% sure what that means and I can't seem to find the specific one on the Internet, the case is marked "Coin" would that be coin silver? I also noticed it is the 24 hour clock not 1-12?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Blaine

Attachments

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You have most of the info. already. The case is coin silver which is typical of US made silver watch cases, slightly less silver content than sterling. If it was a G. M. Wheeler it should be engraved on the movement. The watch is a size 18 key wound/key set watch with 15 jewels. In its day it would have been considered to be a fully jeweled watch. The 24 hour dial is typical of railway use in Canada.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
As it has been mention in the post before, you have most of the information already. I assume you have your info from here:

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/elgin/1394927

If not, it might provide some additional information.

One of the lids has a marking 'Pat. Jan 31 1885'. The watch is therefore most likely of a slightly later production (assembly) date.

'Coin' (silver) means silver .900 (900/1000) made from melted US coinage.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
You have most of the info. already. The case is coin silver which is typical of US made silver watch cases, slightly less silver content than sterling. If it was a G. M. Wheeler it should be engraved on the movement. The watch is a size 18 key wound/key set watch with 15 jewels. In its day it would have been considered to be a fully jeweled watch. The 24 hour dial is typical of railway use in Canada.
It's probably a 'GMW' grade twin grade watch, so to say, unmarked G.M.Wheeler. Some were marked, some not :)
Nice case - makes a decent watch alltogether :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts