WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing this recent thrift find because I thought it interesting. An Elgin stopwatch from 1945. 15 jewels. Mechanism called "jitterbug" according to database. Appropriately named because once wound the mechanism keeps running even after stopping the timing. Maybe there is something not working properly but the timing seems to be working and resets perfectly to zero. Anyway dial in great shape and it's kinda cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Giotime...Hello. Nice Elgin. Your's is 100% correct @ running: once wound-up, the watch runs until unwound. The dial is really nice. And: a number of these show up with gold-flashed movements. And: you'll need a replacement case screw...easy fix...quick job to blue a steel item. Michael.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
That would be an Elgin 582 Timer, aka 'Jitterbug'. Runs at 30 bps, if I recall correctly. It isn't really a stopwatch in the classic sense of a watch where the escapement only runs when timing. It runs the whole time it's wound. The way the hands work is exactly like the chronograph works in a column wheel chronograph - pressing the crown connects the time works with the center second hand, and with a minute register - in this case a 10 second register; pressing again disconnects them and stops the hands (leaving the time works running) and pressing again resets the hands.

I wrote a whole blog post on this a few years back.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Gene for that link to your blog. Wonderful to have that information. A couple of things. My jitterbug movement is not gilt. The case also is base metal and I would assume nickel. If this piece is from 1945, perhaps they started using nickel again since it was post war. Also it was your blog a few years ago about the 760-761 Elgin autos that got me to buy one of those.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts