WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok this the watch there is not much info on, i have seen old ads on the net but they rarely come up for sale
my great grandma bought it in the 30's or 40's for my great gpa . It was bought in illinois he then passed it along to my grandpa who passed it on too me. but still know no value recently i have a man who keeps coming to my house with an offer on 200 dollars about twice a week
It ran fast for years at one point it must have been magnified last year it was cleaned and that problem was fixed. it now keeps better time than my rolex.
my grandpa always called it the dough boy watch due to the box.
The back cover says 14 karat gold filled
box marked 1918 but i know the watch cant be that old

lets hear your thoughts

Attachments

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Elgin evidently made 35,000 of these grade 485 movements in 1929. Your watch is one of them. Your watch has an interesting dial and case... but I have no idea if $200 is a fair price... none whatsoever. Maybe others will know more about the general desirability of such a watch.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
yes i seen this page about an hour ago but it still doesnt let me know if its rare or an idea of a value
Please take note of one of the sticky threads in this forum about not providing valuations here.. If it were my great grandfathers watch, then the only valuation I would be interested in would be for insurance purposes.. and even then, if it went missing insurance would be no consolation..

Given that there were 891000 produced using that movement according to the above links supplied, I would hazard a guess that it is not rare.. others may have better info..

Cheers

·
Banned
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please take note of one of the sticky threads in this forum about not providing valuations here.. If it were my great grandfathers watch, then the only valuation I would be interested in would be for insurance purposes.. and even then, if it went missing insurance would be no consolation..

Given that there were 891000 produced using that movement according to the above links supplied, I would hazard a guess that it is not rare.. others may have better info..

Cheers
thank you hopefully someone will know.
that is actually what i am trying to do im insuring my collection i had a jewelry store look at it and he called in his vintage watch guy but he said it was rare and he never seen one before.
theres one on ebay for 1,400 but i always see the same one on there same seller so i dont know how accurate that is

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
thank you hopefully someone will know.
that is actually what i am trying to do im insuring my collection i had a jewelry store look at it and he called in his vintage watch guy but he said it was rare and he never seen one before.
theres one on ebay for 1,400 but i always see the same one on there same seller so i dont know how accurate that is
It may help for other forum members to know your general location.. someone may be able to point you in the direction of someone who can do the valuation for you..

Cheers

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Hello,

Your watch was part of Elgin's "Thrift" series...It is known as the Thrift 422 amongst collectors. The model is not really rare - but is considered scarce and fairly desirable. Yours is in very nice condition. I hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts