WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to antique watches and i just purchased an Elgin watch from 1916. It has 15 Jewels and runs and keeps good time. ( According to service/watchmaker at store NOT eBay ) Just wondering what your folks thoughts are on them. Bad buy good buy let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated !
43411_01.jpg 43411.jpg 43411_02.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
From pocketwatchdatabase.com

Grade: 315
Manufacturer:Elgin
Manufacturer Location:Elgin, Illinois
Movement Serial Number:18964944
Grade:315
Model:3
Class:114
Estimated Production Year:1916
Run Quantity:2,000
Total Production:1,022,900
Size:12s
Jewels:15j
Jewel Setting:Screw-Set
Movement Configuration:Openface
Movement Finish:Nickel
Movement Setting:Pendant
Plate:3/4 Plate
Double Roller:Yes
Barrel:Going
Balance Type:Expansion
Balance Jewel Material:Ruby
Train:Quick
Regulator:Moseley
Hairspring:Breguet
Standard Dial Type:Single-Sunk
Adjusted:No
Railroad Grade:No
U.S. Patents:596407
Data Research:c.1950 Elgin Serial List

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Beautiful watch!

I’m thinking about adding a vintage pocket watch to my collection. I’m just afraid of starting a new addiction .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
If it's been serviced, and it's running well, and that's a gold filled case, then it's an okay buy. You won't make any money flipping it, but you'll get years of service from it. Elgin sold A LOT of 12s 15j watches in the early 20th Century, because they work, and they're reliable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh no there's no way in hell im flipping haha. This watch is only for me. I cant afford expensive things and went out on the limb with this one. To some a thousand dollar watch is cheap. To me watches in this price range are a gem and mean more to me. It makes one appreciate the history of them so much more. Well at least to me it does. So this 139 dollar watch is like a Rolex to others. who had it, where did it travel, what did the world look like then, just stupid things like that about items makes me think. I love it. IF ITS NOT SOLD lol, i did purchase it but will wait to see tomorrow if its truly mine as someone could of bought it online before i ordered it. Lets hope not though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet. Its mine should be here in a week ! I had bought it online but on a Sunday so had to wait until they processed order Monday to know it wasnt sold on weekend.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Looks like a nice watch! Im sure you will find it a pleasure to look at. It should last a long time if serviced regularly and should be reasonably accurate (it isn't an ultra high grade but heck even my 7 jewel Elgins keep fair time). I think you did good, personally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts