WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Elgin is an anagram of Nigel, ingle, leg in and spookily linge. It is also a town in Scotland.

None of which is relevant to the brand, who hail from Elgin Illinois. Although in their time they will have produced several linges and doubtless have employed several Nigels, some of whom may even have been Scottish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elgin_National_Watch_Company

·
Registered
452 Posts
Here is a video dedicated to this well deserved US based vintage watch company.

https://youtu.be/TEc6PmIIrng

Post anything you love and know about the brand.
Your video is about a single watch, not about the watch company. And there is way too much non-watch related fillers.

Cool watch, will look even better on brown leather.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Anything I know about the brand... I know a lot, but not as much as the die-hard Elgin fans.
The brand was indeed located in USA, operated between 1864-1965 and made millions and millions of fine watch movements and watches.
It was one of the pioneers of large scale watchmaking (still it started off about 15 years later than Waltham), and it was one of the pioneers in the development of electric watches, but before their demise they did not release a successful design (only a flawed, unreliable one thay have to buy back from the buyers).
What I love... yes I love Elgin brand. I think it is among the most interesting and innovative large watch companies in the history of worldwide watchmaking.

By the way - the wristwatch shown in the film has the E logo and it comes from a post-Elgin period of Elgin brand, when the factory was long gone and Elgin brand watches were made elsewhere...

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I'm not sure if that's an American made Elgin. Good that you love it but this has nothing to do with the American Elgin. Hey, enjoy

·
Registered
56 Posts
and it was one of the pioneers in the development of electric watches, but before their demise they did not release a successful design (only a flawed, unreliable one thay have to buy back from the buyers).
proof please of this statement ? where is the buy back proof ?

By the way - the wristwatch shown in the film has the E logo and it comes from a post-Elgin period of Elgin brand, when the factory was long gone and Elgin brand watches were made elsewhere...
the E was registered in 1962 and was used from 1964, it is very ENWCo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts