WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Jörg, World,

Over the last 9-10 years my business partner and I have been selling telescope eyepieces using a website, credit card facilities, shipping, etc. The underlying story isn't interesting here, but suffice to say that this website also makes high value sales (not as often as I would like!) and we found that attentive communications were key, as many of our clients had never purchased *anything* over the web, and certainly not something in the $100 range, and most certainly not with their precious credit cards.

Who says astronomers are a conservative bunch,eh?

A one point we made a mistake and hosted the website with a hosting service, using price (to be honest) as the main criteria. All was going well for six months, and then we had exactly the same emailing problems as I'm seeing here.

"Thank you for you order..."

"Just placed an order last night... Very excited"

"Hello Sir, we've shipped just this morning..."

"When does it ship?"

"Why don't you respond???!!!"

"It turned up this morning, very fast. But why didn't you tell me it was arriving. I was very worried."

The above (pharaprased) was assembled from streams of emails that finally arrived when we (as an emergency) setup a Gmail account whilst we figured out what was going on.

It turned out that our cheap hosting service had just done a major deal with a chain of adult websites, who also had a poor reputation for spam mail. Every email and receiving domain in the world was alerted to this, spotted a new source of spam traffic and acted accordingly. Many had simply filtered out our email exchanges, quite often *before* they hit the spam boxes. And even though our innocent website had nothing to do with that murky world, it didn't matter as the hosting ip addresses were close enough cousins for us to get caught up in the net. They filter at hosting level, you see.

We switched our hosting service (took us a few frantic days, the cost went up a little) apologised profusely to each client who got caught up in this, and moved on. We were helped as our business model was to sell from stock, so shipments arrived like clockwork anyhow. However, I can see that a combination of the above, *plus* making to order in a small business, compounds the problem... until... Well, threads like we've seen here recently.

Just a thought.

Ric

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ric - I agree with your comments. Stowa is using a "marginal" web hosting service (1and1.com). They are saving a few dollars BUT may be losing in the long run.

·
Vendor
932 Posts
Hello,

i think we have no problems with receiving emails.

Did you have problems with sending mails to us ?, please tell us and we check.

If you have a sample or a bad experience you can tell us and we try to figure out what happens.

many thanks

Best regards

Jörg Schauer

Who has problems witht he

·
Registered
90 Posts
Jorg,

It may not be that we have an issue sending an email to STOWA, but the other way - STOWA sending to us. I do not have any issues any more as my email has learned to not to put STOWA emails in my spam, but in many cases some email filters might filter them to spam because of the domain that is hosting your website.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Jorg - it is like al3xx said - we can not receive emails from Stowa because our internet service provider (COMCAST in my case) blocks most emails coming from the 1and1 AG server. Recipients report 98% of all email received from that server as spam - it is not related to Stowa but is related to the hosting company you use. Chat with Luisa - she has the details in my case.

Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts