WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was visiting a local Tappers Jewelers in Detroit today and spent a few minutes trying on a few of the Runwell Shinola Chronographs.

The sales lady handed me a 47mm and I noticed that the chrono hand was stopped at 6 oclock. I assumed someone had stopped it there so I pushed the bottom pusher to reset it back to 12 and it spun all the way around and stopped back at 6 again!:-s

Thinking I made a mistake somehow, I pushed the top pusher and let it go for about 5 seconds....and pushed it again to stop and the pushed the bottom pusher again, and it went right back to 6!o|

We both looked at each other and I said, I think this is wrong...of course she tried it several times herself since Im obviously incompetent, with the same result. we selected another just like it and it worked fine.

She quietly grabbed it and put it in a drawer behind the counter...:-! when I mentioned to her that seemed unusual she said " we had one last week that was missing all of the screws!!!!!

:rodekaart OOPS! LOL

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Ruh roh...they'd better get the QC sorted out ASAP. I'd like to see this company succeed!

Reactions: Matty01

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
Yes, it is embarrasing that someone selling quartz chronos doesn't know how to reset them. What does that have to do with the watch? Quartz chronograph movements are generally designed to get knocked off their markers easily rather than break, and they generally have simple reset routines to allow each hand to be stepped minutely back to its proper position.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Sometimes things happen. I tried on a JLC Memovox in an AD once where the hands hit to alarm pointer, and wouldn't advance past it.

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
Simple fix that is probably found in the manual.

Reactions: watchcrank_tx

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
On a quartz that's not actually an issue... easy to fix with a few button pushes...

I'm just tired of hearing the shinola commercials talking about doing something that hasn't been done in the US in 40 years while it's being done already in Mt. Joy Pennsylvania for years...

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
On a quartz that's not actually an issue... easy to fix with a few button pushes...

I'm just tired of hearing the shinola commercials talking about doing something that hasn't been done in the US in 40 years while it's being done already in Mt. Joy Pennsylvania for years...
There are Shinola commercials? That's news to me!

·
Premium Member
22,558 Posts
Sometimes things happen. I tried on a JLC Memovox in an AD once where the hands hit to alarm pointer, and wouldn't advance past it.
I was just trying on a JLC Ultrathin Reverso Duo, and apparently one of the case screws came loose, so the Reverso case pivoted about the rest of the watch.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Since I have never owned a quartz chronograph, I really don't know, so jump in here if I am way off base, but aren't the movements they are using Swiss quartz movements that are pretty much drop in the case? They probably are not really decorating these or modifying these are they? So why would they be having movements missing screws? Seemingly, there would not be anything to do other than case up the movement and test to see that it works. Or, I wonder, did she mean the caseback was missing the screws?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've read very little about shinola, except they are a relatively new company starting production in Detroit. I didn't mind some of their designs, but to hear they're off to a bad start is disappointing. You would think they would be doing their best to impress at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Tons and tons of them. I've seen them on TV, heard them on local radio and Pandora radio too.... I see/hear one multiple times a day.

You should YouTube one so you'll know what I'm talking about...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,558 Posts
Since I have never owned a quartz chronograph, I really don't know, so jump in here if I am way off base, but aren't the movements they are using Swiss quartz movements that are pretty much drop in the case? They probably are not really decorating these or modifying these are they? So why would they be having movements missing screws? Seemingly, there would not be anything to do other than case up the movement and test to see that it works. Or, I wonder, did she mean the caseback was missing the screws?
The claim to fame is that these quartz movements are hand assembled in Detroit from Swiss components.

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
Well, we're taking the word of a saleswoman who doesn't know the most basic reset steps in the manual of almost any quartz chronograph, so one wonders if the missing screw story is even true, much less unembellished.

I'm no Shinola apologist - nor even a fan - but they seem to be attracting an unusual level of disdain for a fashion brand. It's not even like their claims or publicity are out of the ordinary in the watch world. If anything, their lies are somewhat restrained compared to the "heritages" we see bought and sold every few years in the "revived" trademarks of Swiss and German and Swinese brands with great traffic on these pages.

Dear me, I seem to be defending watches I don't even care two figs about. :-(

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,328 Posts
Bikes, watches and lots of other goodies are being sold with the Shinola brand. Alas no shoe polish. I did look over some of their watches at Nordstroms next to the other fashionable watches. My impression was the designs were ok. Comparable to the Allenby retro styled watches that came out several years back. Not something I would spend much money on.

From the description the sales lady was living up to that old Shinola saying.

·
Premium Member
22,558 Posts
Some commericals:

Reactions: Triton9

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I like the concept but they're quite highly priced for a fairly simple quartz movement. Does anyone know what Ronda's they base theirs on?

I think the loose screw comment was in relation to a caseback screw missing.,,or at least I hope so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I've come to my conclusions about how this brand is marketed, but agree with the others regarding the movement. I once had a quartz chronograph in split-time or cumulative mode without knowing it and had to go through the manual to find out how to reset the 1/10th second hand back to zero. For future reference, here's Shinola's reset instructions for their Argonite (Ronda) movement:

Shinola - Ronda Chrono.jpg

From a Tissot manual - I needed to perform step three on my watch:

Tissot Chrono Reset.jpg

Reactions: Doboji
1 - 20 of 30 Posts