WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the ana-digi combination, but am confused. what should i get?
i love the idea of the emergency but its pricey
the aerospace is neat, uncluttered, but has less punch
the B1 is huge, manly, but is tad too blingy
the airwolf is a beauty, but i dont like the sunburst.

your comments?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
In order, here are my picks, and my reasoning behind them...

1) B-1: Just about perfect IMO, and the one Breitling that I will own someday. I do agree that it is a bit to shiny, though.

2) Aerospace: An iconic design, though perhaps a tad too understated at times. I prefer the earlier generations from a design standpoint, but like the inclusion of a backlight in current ones. Very comfortable on the wrist thanks to its lightweight titanium construction.

3) Emergency: Same module as the Aerospace, so right off the bat it's doing okay. I wish it didn't have the compass bezel (seriously, who uses those?), but I suppose it is in keeping with its "survival on a desert island" mission. I definitely dig the emergency transmitter, but honestly, unless you're a solo pilot/sailor/hiker, what's the point?

4) Airwolf: An affront to B-1 lovers everywhere. But seriously, there are several design elements that I like on this watch, which is probably why it offends me so much. For instance, I like the ergonomic pushers and the bezel design, but I can't stand the busy "sunburst" dial and compass markings. If they had kept the B-1 dial and used a timing bezel, it would be a worthy successor to the B-1. As it stands, it's merely a pretender to the throne. b-)

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does anyone have the sizes for the 4 watches?

aerospace - ________mm
B1 - __________mm
airwolf - __________mm
emergency - __________mm

thanks. :-!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I prefer the B1.

When i was searching for one, i was nearly tempted by the Airwolf, but just found it too busy looking, and the thing that really put me off was the "6". It looks like it's been put on there as an afterthought, really squashed.

It would have been a very tough decision betweeen the Aerospace and B1 had the Aerospace been available in SS, but i don't regret going for the B1 at all.

My "perfect" watch would be a B1 with an Airwolf bracelet though.

Just my opinion, and if somebody offered me any one of them, i wouldn't turn them down. ;-)

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
12,043 Posts
My "perfect" watch would be a B1 with an Airwolf bracelet...
Can't argue with that! I believe Lou tried one of the new Pro II bracelets on his B-1 last year to determine if the end link and springbar hole geometry was compatible but no joy with the results. Hopefully he'll confirm that contention shortly. Before the B-1 and UTC module were discontinued, I was hoping Breitling would release that configuration on the Pro II which would be top shelf spot on IMHO. That said, the "Fighter" bracelet is still a beautiful and comfortable option, especially when it has a "little friend" along for the ride... ;-) :-!
Cheers,
Ron

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I really like the ana-digi combination, but am confused. what should i get?
i love the idea of the emergency but its pricey
the aerospace is neat, uncluttered, but has less punch
the B1 is huge, manly, but is tad too blingy
the airwolf is a beauty, but i dont like the sunburst.

your comments?

the aerospace avantage is a nice watch but i personally prefer the original navitimer version. no back light but aesthetically a cleaner and neater watch.

the emergency is really not a toy and i'd not recommend to anyone unless they have a real need for it.

the B-1 is argueably one of the best watches breitling have ever produced. if you don't like the finish you could get it brushed. personally i wouldn't but it's an option.

the airwolf has to be the one watch i could never own. perhaps this is because it simply is no match for the beauty and integrity of design of the B-1.

if you're into older watches, consider a chronospace. the one breitling i currently crave for my collection.

·
Registered
449 Posts
They all look great. They also have thier own benefits...one comes with a transmitter, etc. You decide. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've just been through the same decision process.

Emergency is just too techinical unless you really need its functions.

Airwolf is basically illegible in many light conditions due to the sunburst and the very busy dial configuration.

B-1 is no longer being manufactured. It is a BIG watch. If you are into size and weight, this is the way to go.

I chose the Aerospace, but agree about the "punch," so I picked the blue dial on a blue diver pro strap, and the result is pretty cool...not to mention VERY functional.

Good luck!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would buy the Airwolf in an instant IF NOT for the horrible dial design. Under normal lighting conditions, you can't see the hands at all. Patiently waiting for the day they change it.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I would buy the Airwolf in an instant IF NOT for the horrible dial design. Under normal lighting conditions, you can't see the hands at all. Patiently waiting for the day they change it.
you could see if they would swap it for a B-1 dial. probably not perhaps worth a try. the custom dial for the Airwolf is better. perhaps that could be an option.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Well heres my two choices .

The Emergency is a stunning watch, My ONLY two downfalls are

1 the lack of backlight
2 the brightness of the actual lcd display seems to lack the sharp contrast of the b1 making it harder to see in some light conditions

The Ultimate in tool and sophisticated watches in my eyes at least.

Yes they are both unique and no im not a pilot so my E may never get used to its full extent but hey i dont use the aircon on my car but i know its there!!

The B1 is and will remain high in my list of favorite Dare i say it WATCHES of all not just Breitlings

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree with most of the above. My choice is the B-1

The Aerospace is good looking, but I agree on the no punch thing. Its just a little understated for me.

The Emergency is sort of unnecessarilly big with the antenna and if you aren't going to have any need for it, it seems sort of pointless (of course, so is 10,000ft of depth resistance). I think its pretty thick also.

The Airwolf just does not do justice to the B-1. Don't they ask people or beta test these things before they put them out? Does anyone like the starburst? Since it is a tool watch, does that starburst thing fall under the "instruments for professionals" category? And what's up with compass bezels? The countdown bezel is SOOooo much more useful. I'm glad I got a B-1 while I still could!

My choice, the quite strap versatile and venerable B-1. :-!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Please stop posting pictures of the B1 - only makes me even more annoyed that i didn't buy one before they were discontinued :-( :-( :-(

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
i dont use the aircon on my car but i know its there!!

The B1 is and will remain high in my list of favorite Dare i say it WATCHES of all not just Breitlings
just a small OT tip: the aircon seals deteriorate if the aircon is not used as they need to be lubricated by the refrigerant regularly. net result is the aircon will need refilling sooner and those green house gases escape sooner too.

nearly forgot: my B-1 is my favourite watch too!!!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
just a small OT tip: the aircon seals deteriorate if the aircon is not used as they need to be lubricated by the refrigerant regularly. net result is the aircon will need refilling sooner and those green house gases escape sooner too.

nearly forgot: my B-1 is my favourite watch too!!!
Thanks for the tip, although my Freelander doesnt have aircon, but the focus does, I like it, the wife thinks it gets too COLD LOL....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts