WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have watches with NH35,Miyota 8205 and Sellita SW200 movements. Can I turn the time backwards tomorrow at 2:00 am or will that hurt these movements?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

·
Banned
635 Posts
No problem for you to set the time on your watches counter clockwise.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I don’t know enough to say if this is a necessary precaution, but maybe don’t change it back till it’s out of the danger zone for the date change? Might have no risk at all, but is there a need to do it at 2:00?

·
Premium Member
8,549 Posts
There are always exceptions to the rule.

From my understanding, if the movement hacks then there should not be a problem turning the hands counterclockwise. However, if the movement does not hack, then it is advised not to turn the hands counterclockwise.

When in doubt — read the manual.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
There are always exceptions to the rule.

From my understanding, if the movement hacks then there should not be a problem turning the hands counterclockwise. However, if the movement does not hack, then it is advised not to turn the hands counterclockwise.

When in doubt — read the manual.
Who's advise is that?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Adjust the time after 2am and before 10pm-I've heard on more than one occasion adjusting the time backwards or anytime near the day-date flip can (in some cases) harm the movement. If there's any truth to this ...why chance it.

·
Premium Member
8,549 Posts
Who's advise is that?
This has been discussed numerous times on WUS over the years. Below is one such WUS link along with a quora link (see Anonymous response, 5 August 2017) on the subject matter.

Quora:

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Adjust the time after 4am and before 10pm- adjusting the time backwards or anytime near the day-date flip can (rarely) harm the movement.
This has been discussed numerous times on WUS over the years. Below is one such WUS link along with a quora link (see Anonymous response, 5 August 2017) on the subject matter.

Quora:
These are your words "However, if the movement does not hack, then it is advised not to turn the hands counterclockwise". I'm asking you who's advised you of this?

·
Premium Member
4,077 Posts
I don’t stress over it at all; I have some 70 timepieces, I leave a third always set to standard time, a third always set to daylight savings time, and the remaining third ( mostly solar/atomic G-Shocks ) always self-set to the correct time, judg69

·
Registered
159 Posts
These are your words "However, if the movement does not hack, then it is advised not to turn the hands counterclockwise". I'm asking you who's advised you of this?
It just makes sense? My SKX’s with the 7S movement I don’t ever set the time backwards. It feels like you are fighting with the watch to do that. Maybe Seiko designed it so no damage would occur, but it sure doesn’t feel like it. And more importantly, why risk it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,580 Posts
Going back in time is always dangerous....

Reactions: Actium

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I always feel uncomfortable setting the time backwards, but it's just me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts