WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off with this.

My grandfather was a Rolex guy; my dad preferred Omega. My fondest memory of my grandfather was when I was a kid, he would
let me wear his 18kt all gold Day-Date President around the house. I was quite huge for my age. At 7 years old, I had a 7" wrist.
I wore it proudly and it came with a certain stomping of feet similar to a soldier on his rounds. My gramps was amused, but my grammy wasn't.
Who in his/her right mind would let a kid wear a luxury watch and toy around with it. Crazy. He sold it to his son, my uncle, for pennies as an heirloom.

My gramps was a well-known man in my home country. He retired at age 40 - just when most people are advancing in their careers, he called it a day.
He was the man I looked up to.

Last year, I graduated university with a bachelors degree in engineering. I've always had that watch itch. I've always looked back at those days when I felt a sense of
accomplishment, a sort of prestige, and a milestone in one's life - owning that great watch. Taking up engineering, I was always fascinated with the
watch's mechanics and its history. I've developed a love for the Omega Speedmaster Professional - the so called "Moonwatch."
How great was it that man's thinking put him on the moon? I had to have one.

I picked up a 3572.50 (Speedy Pro with Hesalite crystal, sapphire display case-back). I said I was done. I had something that arguably had the most history attached to it.

Here's the thing...

A week after owning it, the Rolex itch is still there. It was eating me from the inside. From my very childhood, up to this day.

I decided to continue the search. Just watching forums and reading about the brand.

I said, well, I really can't afford it. Maybe when I turn 30.

Deals came and went. I settled for homages. Debaufre, Steinhart, Bernhardt, Maratac - all fantastic watches, but nothing, nothing, gave me the feeling of putting a Rolex on.
Everything was out of proportion. Hands, dial, crown, bracelet, some things were just not to my liking.

Almost every weekend was a trip to the local AD. A necessary trip to keep me sane. I always ask to try a Rolex on.

BAM... The BLNR. I said that was it. That was THE ONE. I lusted after the GMT movement and the blue and black contrast. It was killer.

A few days after, I got sidetracked - I then found a local deal on Kijiji for a 2006 16610 Date Sub. He had all the papers, documents, boxes, etc., but the watch
was refinished and he did not have the original receipt with him. Not knowing much about Rolexes. I decided to stay away.
In retrospect, I would consider it a great deal for the price.

I laid low after that. I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much cash on a new watch thinking that was the only way to go.

A year after, alternating between a Speedy Pro and a Speedy Reduced, I was walking to work and saw a man sporting a black bezel GMT Master.
The urge was overwhelming. I need to get back on it.

A week after searching, I still couldn't bring myself to buy one at the prices. I was perusing e-Bay and saw an old 1500.
I was so ready to pull the trigger, but seeing a few red flags, I decided to stay away.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f23/urgent-help-needed-first-rolex-1500-a-1856858.html

Back to the search...

I found a used Air-King 14000 on my local Kijiji. I said, what the heck... Let's pull the trigger!

There she is. Salmon dial 14000. Really great watch. It filled the gaping hole that ate me ever since I was a kid.

But then... The itch. It was still there. I absolutely wanted a Professional model. In my past searches, I came across the Polar Explorer II.
Clean dial and as dress up, dress down - a watch for any occasion. For years, I've been wanting one. It was either this or the BLNR.

I HAD TO HAVE ONE.

Being in Canada, the search was limited. Thank goodness for the F21 search, I came across one from dwong.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-rolex-explorer-ii-16570-polar-head-only-$2900-1745250.html

After a few messages back and forth, he agreed to include the original bracelet as he was using it for another watch.

Score! Deal was done and it arrived today. It is drop dead gorgeous. My girlfriend helped me pick it up.
I made a promise, on my own, that I will never look at another one again. This is it. The itch is finally gone. I think my gramps is smiling from above.

For now, I will keep on working and advancing my career and when I turn 40, I will celebrate with another watch. Who knows? Maybe I can afford a PP 5270 then?

Keep on keeping on, fellow WIS! My 16570 is here to stay on my wrist as a daily driver. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Beautiful - You know, the more I see of the Polar Explorer, the more it is growing on me!

Reactions: VastHorizon

·
Registered
471 Posts
The end? We all knew that's not true... ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when are you going to flip that speedy reduced to help fund the next watch? =P

great post, i enjoyed reading the whole thing
Never will! Haha. The 3572.50 is a little too big for my wrists.
I only wear it with a sleeved shirt.
The speedy reduced gets more wrist time.
I actually love it!

·
Registered
751 Posts
The Polar 16570 is a destination watch for me. Once I got it I found I wore it all the time over my other Rolexes. Unassuming, dressy or sporty, GMT function, most folks don't know it's a Rolex, and not every second person has got one.

Mine is away for service at RSC London. I am pining for and worrying about it!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, guys!

I don't wear my watches to bed, but I've been wearing it pretty much all the time.
I'm really glad I got the polar version!

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I keep thinking about your gramps gold D/D watch that he let you wear and sold to your uncle for 'pennies'. Is he around? Into watches? maybe he would swap you for a SpM?

anyway-great 'collectors' story. you have some great watches. and I think you still have that fantastic looking Air-king?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I keep thinking about your gramps gold D/D watch that he let you wear and sold to your uncle for 'pennies'. Is he around? Into watches? maybe he would swap you for a SpM?

anyway-great 'collectors' story. you have some great watches. and I think you still have that fantastic looking Air-king?
He is into watches as well. I guess with growing up with watches around you, you'll eventually catch the bug.
I've been bugging him for it ever since I landed my first fast food job.
He jokingly said he'll sell it to me for the princely sum of $10,000.
The sentimental value of it to me was priceless - it was the only thing that my gramps left that was of value.
My childhood was that watch.
I said yes, but then he retracted the offer and said that he'll just pass it on to his son.

And thanks! I do still have it. I took a trip to another AD this weekend just to look at the Hamilton brand and glanced at the Rolex display case.
They still had a NOS 39mm Air-King in blue.
I was thinking of selling mine and grabbing that one.
Maybe? Either way, I'm content with the Salmon I have!
It's a gorgeous fly under the radar watch!

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Same happened to me, the Rolex brand and history is just too strong, congrats

1 - 20 of 23 Posts