WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some opinions......I just opted to order a Mad Cow, black dial, when I initially thought I was gonna get the Chronometer. I feel pretty good about the decision.........any support/criticism?

Thanks for the feedback.......

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I need some opinions......I just opted to order a Mad Cow, black dial, when I initially thought I was gonna get the Chronometer. I feel pretty good about the decision.........any support/criticism?

Hi rlewisk,

Welcome to the Ball Watch Company Forum! :-!

Do you mean the Hydrocarbon Chronograph? Hope so, as I'm not aware of a currently available Hydrocarbon Chronometer....

Well, you chose between two excellent pieces, so I have absolutely no criticism for you. Most of us here are only too well aware of the dilemma you faced. When there are such superb options to choose from, it's easy to feel torn between two(or more) of them.

I recently bought a white Mad Cow and absolutely LOVE the watch and am completely happy with my decision to get her. I'm enjoying her more with each passing day...just as I do my Engineer Master II Classic! :-!

I also happen to love the black dialed Hydrocarbon Chronograph. It's a stunning piece(love the yellow hands against the black dial!). It also has a 42mm titanium case(w/ss bezel) and a bracelet composed of both ti and ss links. At 18.3mm in "height", it's a pretty thick watch...which may be an issue if you wear long sleeve dress shirts a lot. And, of course, there's the Valjoux 7750 movement beating inside, as opposed to the ETA 2836-2 in the Mad Cow....both excellent movements, both excellent workhorses...but the 7750's perhaps a bit sweeter...?

There's also the price difference between the two, which is currently ~$700 USD(more for the Chronograph). This alone may be a decisive factor for many of us(including yours truly :roll: ).

In the end, after all things have been considered, you should feel good about your selection and purchase. It's okay to still want the Chrono; that just goes on your "Next to Buy" list(and we all have such a list, don't we? :-d ). But--if you still feel really torn about your decision, then perhaps you should reconsider...? This is only mho, but I've always believed in following my gut feelings...if it's within reasonable reach, to always go for what I know in my gut is what I truly want...not what I've reasoned out to be the "better sense" choice...because that almost always leads to a level of buyer's remorse that robs me of whatever joy I otherwise would have gotten from the purchase....

;-)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Geoff..........thanks for the welcome and terrific and detailed response.

You're absolutely right I did mean chronograph, my bad.

At this point I'm leaning toward the Mad Cow, very clean and I love the Arabic numerals.........I think it's now come down to a style issue given the inherent quality of both watches. It doesn't hurt that I will saving some $$$ either.

I'm also accustomed to large and thick cases, so that plays no part in the decision other than making me want both. I need to decide right now since Ball is increasing their prices by 9% on Monday, ( or so I'm told, I hope that isn't a sales ploy).

The idea of keeping the Chronograph for "the next one" allows me to look forward to another terrific watch, and I have a bunch of Chronographs already.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Geoff..........thanks for the welcome and terrific and detailed response.

You're absolutely right I did mean chronograph, my bad.

At this point I'm leaning toward the Mad Cow, very clean and I love the Arabic numerals.........I think it's now come down to a style issue given the inherent quality of both watches. It doesn't hurt that I will saving some $$$ either.

I'm also accustomed to large and thick cases, so that plays no part in the decision other than making me want both. I need to decide right now since Ball is increasing their prices by 9% on Monday, ( or so I'm told, I hope that isn't a sales ploy).

The idea of keeping the Chronograph for "the next one" allows me to look forward to another terrific watch, and I have a bunch of Chronographs already.
My pleasure! ;-)

I must admit that, in the beginning, I didn't care for the large Arabic numerals on the dials...in fact, when I was first shopping for a Ball, I consciously avoided models that had them. :roll:

But, after seeing the white Mad Cow's dial in person, I've changed my way of thinking. The Arabic numerals, imho, perfectly complement the MC's beautifully detailed white guilloche dial, blued hands, and the wonderfully understated and classic font used for the Ball brand logo graphics.

Then, when I look at my MC, after dark, to see what time it is, the glowing yellow Arabic numerals instantly orient the watch dial , making reading the time both very easy and quick. The MC's tritium tubes may not be T100 rated, but they're certainly bright enough and they have a clarity and sharpness that must be seen in person to be fully appreciated. The tritium glow on my EMII Classic is much brighter(and a lot of fun to look at), but, honestly, I have come to prefer that of my Mad Cow...clear, sharp, and instantly legible. :-!

Unfortunately, that 9% price increase is not a sales ploy, at all. I was informed of this across-the-board pricing increase by National Sales Mgr., Marc Ofte(at our local Museum Tour presentation), and was very recently confirmed by my local AD. The pricing increase is due largely to the poor performance of the US Dollar, something that Ball Watch has absolutely no control over. Additionally, the "through the roof" increase in the price of gold is having a dramatic effect on the retail pricing of any gold watches, including those models offered by Ball. So, if you also happen to be seriously in the market for a gold Ball watch, you might want to time your move...quickly. :think:

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
I have them both, and they are both similar for the most part. They both weigh about the same, with the chronograph just a bit heavier, as they both share the same Ti and Ti/SS bracelet. They are identical in case size, etc. with the difference being chronograph and day/date layout. Can't go wrong with either watch. I find the Mad Cow a bit easier to read at night, as there is less going on the dial, but the white dial chronograph really pops in the day...

·
Registered
944 Posts

Either way you Cant lose! I think that the Cow is not as "busy" in the dial and gives it a very Classy look! I too am normally a Chronograph lover,but i am so glad i chose the Mad Cow instead! Good Luck with wich ever you choose,and be prepaired to purchase another BALL soon after:-!
Take Care,Rich

·
Registered
444 Posts
You're the only person that needs to be happy with the watch. For me though, I find it's beautiful to look at the face but it is such a big peice of metal from a side view.
Tim

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
As I have recommended to others---buy the watch YOU like and could wear everyday, NOT the watch others tell you they like. That way you can't go wrong. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts