WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the work that Stowa does with engraved rotors on its automatics. Only problem....not going to get a Stowa just for that feature. I saw a reference on these fora somewhere to having a rotor removed by a watchmaker, engraved by a jeweler, and then replaced. Is that feasible, or is it taking spraypaint to a Picasso?

Thanks!

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts
I love the work that Stowa does with engraved rotors on its automatics. Only problem....not going to get a Stowa just for that feature. I saw a reference on these fora somewhere to having a rotor removed by a watchmaker, engraved by a jeweler, and then replaced. Is that feasible, or is it taking spraypaint to a Picasso?

Thanks!
Feasible and a matter of taste.

·
Registered
19,861 Posts

Thanks!

Rotor is an interchangeable part, you can do whatever you want with it, as long as it's compatible.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Picture of my modified rotor..
003.JPG
The movement was custom engraved and he threw in the rotor..MMX, 2010, year of his work.

Reactions: monza06

·
Registered
14,023 Posts
I'm not sure the answer to your question, but I will say I can't stand all the plan rotors on Miyota 9015's. While this Lum-Tec is long gone the memory of it's bland rotor stayed behind. I'd rather see a case back than this blah affair.

Lum-Tec case back.jpg

·
Premium Member
64,888 Posts
There's no reason why you should not have the rotor engraved. I suppose that you just have to be a little careful that you don't end up with a razzle dazzle rotor and a plain looking movement.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That propeller rotor is awesome!

Something I've wondered about -- does the mass of the rotor make a difference? Is the movement calibrated to a rotor of a certain mass? Will changing its mass affect the movement? Say, for instance, you have the rotor skeletonized, would the reduction in its mass affect anything?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
That propeller rotor is awesome!

Something I've wondered about -- does the mass of the rotor make a difference? Is the movement calibrated to a rotor of a certain mass? Will changing its mass affect the movement? Say, for instance, you have the rotor skeletonized, would the reduction in its mass affect anything?
It shouldn't matter, the mass of the rotor will affect its inertia, but as long as it's turning it will wind the watch the same way.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Love engraved rotors as it certainly gives it that uniqueness worth not only wearing on the wrist but to gaze at it. ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts