WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
should add something like $200 value to the watch

I wonder if during case making it's possible to add some details like this or at least guide grooves? Been watching youtube vids of it so just throwing it out there

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
This thread is long overdue for an update.

So I finally got around with starting the other side of the watch. Few in progress photos and end result for today.

Keep in mind that in real life it is 4x smaller. So all mistakes are actually much smaller than they appear :)

DSCF5332.jpg

DSCF5334.jpg

DSCF5338.jpg

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Still so sick!! Great job!

-Sent using Rock, Paper and the occasional Scissors-

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wow this is amazing. Just wondering, how much ballpark is it to get set up with some halfway decent tools to start fiddling around with this? I might need a new hobby after seeing this thread..

·
Registered
467 Posts
Dude, if I had the talent to do this, not only would I use it to make a ton of money but I would also use it to steal everybody's girlfriend!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks for good words. There's still bunch to do...

Wow this is amazing. Just wondering, how much ballpark is it to get set up with some halfway decent tools to start fiddling around with this? I might need a new hobby after seeing this thread..
How long is a piece of string? :)

You could get started probably with $50 - pencil, push graver, sharpening stones, something to hold the work and Optivisor or loupe (Here the bottom Zippo was done only with 10x loupe and push graver). The "bee's knees" setup with air-assist graver, good stereo microscope (Zeiss scope alone can be several k), vise and bunch of other stuff can run easily into $5k+ range. And then there's everything in between. Plus the books, classes etc.

Mistakes? I don't see ANY.
Well, that is good :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Having tried to engrave a little, I can say that it is way harder than it looks! If you do not have the talent for it you can learn it - but it will never be really beautiful.

Here on the other hand we see someone that has the talent, and thus the result is great! :-!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Having tried to engrave a little, I can say that it is way harder than it looks! If you do not have the talent for it you can learn it - but it will never be really beautiful.

Here on the other hand we see someone that has the talent, and thus the result is great! :-!
I consider myself an artistic person with a degree in Industrial Design and fifteen years of experience as a graphics/technical designer but I can honestly say that this is out of my league.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, this is finally starting to take shape.

View attachment 1553124

Unfortunately time is up for now and I can continue probably in 2 weeks.
You know, I had to go and look up Sottomarino to see what the MSRP was, and I was actually surprised to see it listed for $180, and even more surprised to learn that you probably spent less than $50 on this. Extrapolating on what I see here, to my untrained eye, I would expect to see something more along the lines of $2000.

Still an absolute beauty...

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
You gotta make a video once you're done man!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
You know, I had to go and look up Sottomarino to see what the MSRP was, and I was actually surprised to see it listed for $180, and even more surprised to learn that you probably spent less than $50 on this. Extrapolating on what I see here, to my untrained eye, I would expect to see something more along the lines of $2000.
I got it for 41 USD, plus local taxes, so, about $50. Despite the price, this watch is rather perfect canvas. All the engrave-able areas are large enough to accommodate more interesting scrollwork. Also I can engrave it while it is assembled - big no-no for more expensive watches, I think.

Of course I'd like to "upgrade" to more expensive watches, but then I'd need a client who pays for it :).

You gotta make a video once you're done man!
Can do, but what would you like to see in that video?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Just the engravings! Would like to see them "live" when you turn it around and what not :)

41 - 60 of 100 Posts