WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been really wanting to get the back of my Rolex engraved but have one concern/question.

Nothing crazy, just my Military rank and call sign from Iraq.

Also I'm never "planning" on selling any of my watches but if life yanks the carpet out from under my feet there is a significant amount of income to be recovered there.

All that being said: Does an engraving on the back of a Rolex negatively impact resale and if so to what degree?

·
Registered
941 Posts
My observation is that watches with personalized engravings are slower to sell. I avoid them. The exception would be engravings for famous persons. I have no idea about the effect on price. Perhaps someone with sales experience for an engraved watch can say.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Short answer is "yes"

Degree depends on the watch and time of sale. Also depends on the buyer. Something like military rank might actually be something a future buyer may take a fancy to. If you engraved it with your wife's name and a heart next to it, maybe not so much.

Ultimately, does it matter? If you are wearing the watch for a good while and putting you military rank on there makes you feel good about it, then just do it.

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
Not only it will impact its resale value, it might take more time to find a buyer. How about buying an extra case back, have it engraved, and storing the original in the box, just in case (no pun intended)?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Just think how much more Paul Newman's Daytona could have made without the engraving in the case back...
Seriously if it's just the case back that's engraved I believe that Rolex used to replace these with a new one at Service if asked.
However, if it's a 'lifetime' watch the question would only impact on the next owner - if it's family they may appreciate what it meant to you and keep it so it becomes a moot point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,842 Posts
I have nothing to add to what others have said thus far other than to say I would not engrave the back of any Rolex, or any other watch of significant value.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think a military engraving reference could decrease the potential amount of buyers even more. Random dates, "all my love, Jenny", etc - people can make up stories about those. Having never served, I wouldn't consider it at all.

Then again, I don't buy used watches, so my input doesn't really matter.

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
I think a military engraving reference could decrease the potential amount of buyers even more. Random dates, "all my love, Jenny", etc - people can make up stories about those. Having never served, I wouldn't consider it at all.

Then again, I don't buy used watches, so my input doesn't really matter.
Me too, but it doesn't make our opinion useless

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
DW did the back of my OP white 39 after we got back from Greece, where we bought it. Never going to sell and it makes it feel more special to me....but most of its wrist time is spent on her arm?? Oh well

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
How about buying an extra case back, have it engraved, and storing the original in the box, just in case (no pun intended)?
This is exactly what I was thinking. If it's a watch where you can get a second caseback, then buy a second one, engrave it, and put the original away with the original box. This way, your original caseback remains in perfect "NIB" condition, which actually increases the value of your watch should you ever choose to sell it.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I could see an engraving increasing the watches value. If the OP’s watch was issued to him and then engraved with his rank, etc it would possibly authenticate and increase its value.

Although this isn’t the scenario he described. I agree with the others I would not purchase a non issued watch with any engravings.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys!! Definitely some sound advice. I'm gonna check the price of a new caseback for each one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts