WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
This is my first post on this forum so please be gentle ;-)

In recent months I have become a little obsessed with Enicar watches and have purchased a 1969 Enicar Sherpa Guide 33. The watch is in good working order except for two things:-

1) The red city/timezone marker that I believe 'should' rotate.. doesn't.
Is this element controlled by one of the crowns or are you simply supposed to move around the bezel yourself? Has anyone experience with getting this element moving freely again?

2) The 4 oclock crown does not 'click' in and out of 'time set mode' instead it moves in and out of this position almost with no resistance. Would be interested in what parts - if at all available somewhere - would be required to fix this.

Thanks
Ben

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,725 Posts
Hi
This is my first post on this forum so please be gentle ;-)

In recent months I have become a little obsessed with Enicar watches and have purchased a 1969 Enicar Sherpa Guide 33. The watch is in good working order except for two things:-

1) The red city/timezone marker that I believe 'should' rotate.. doesn't.
Is this element controlled by one of the crowns or are you simply supposed to move around the bezel yourself? Has anyone experience with getting this element moving freely again?

2) The 4 oclock crown does not 'click' in and out of 'time set mode' instead it moves in and out of this position almost with no resistance. Would be interested in what parts - if at all available somewhere - would be required to fix this.

Thanks
Ben
Does it look anything like this Enicar Sherpa Guide? They are wonderful GMT watches imho.

If so the upper crown should rotate the inner 24 hour bezel. The outer cities bezel is rotated by simply twisting it and is held by a friction fit.

Original factory parts for that watch are nonexistent, but crowns are usually fixable. The outer cities bezel is probably filled with grime and dirt and needs to be cleaned. You should consider having a good watch repairman work on your watch unless you have done this sort of work before. An old classic like this is not a good watch to lear repairs on.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John - I think these are great watches too.
My Sherpa is the earler 60's model - image bellow, prior to a clean up!

The external and internal bezels rotate fine although the outer one initially needed a little encouragement! The element I am referring too is the red marker that rotates within the external bezel - allowing you to indicate the timezone you are interested in. In my pic it the red triangular element that sits at the 12 oclock position on the external bezel. I am guessing it is also moved by hand and keeps in place via friction. Is there something I could use to clear this part without dismantling the watch?

Thanks again
Ben

Attachments

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,725 Posts
Thanks John - I think these are great watches too.
My Sherpa is the earler 60's model - image bellow, prior to a clean up!

The external and internal bezels rotate fine although the outer one initially needed a little encouragement! The element I am referring too is the red marker that rotates within the external bezel - allowing you to indicate the timezone you are interested in. In my pic it the red triangular element that sits at the 12 oclock position on the external bezel. I am guessing it is also moved by hand and keeps in place via friction. Is there something I could use to clear this part without dismantling the watch?

Thanks again
Ben
The little marker is also held in place by a friction fit, so it may have a few decades of grime holding it in. I would be very wary of using any kind of penetrating oil (WD40, etc) because of possible damage to other painted surfaces. Try a bit of very light machine oil and see what happens.

Which other Enicars do you own? I've found the Divette, Mantagraph and Super Jet to be interesting for both their names and styling..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again John - I'll give that a try.

I used recently sold my other 1964 Sherpa to fund the purchase of an old Omega Cosmic. I love the SuperJet but I have my heart set on Vaj 72 based Chronograph like the one below:-

There seem to be plenty of case and dial available but not many Vaj 72 movements :-(.
Like the look of the Mantagraph too - haven't seen one of those before!

Thanks for your replies and advise - appreciated. Will post updates on my progress.

Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi
No luck so far.

Does anyone know how the bezel is fixed to an Enicar Sherpa? I am wondering if it is easy to remove. Don't worry I won't do anything silly - hence why I am asking up front ;-)

·
Registered
18,182 Posts
Fixed via liberal use of a 'liquid wrench' oil!
Folks, he was doing this on a stuck bezel... not the movement! :-d

Dirt is the worst enemy of mechanicals.... Gummy dirt is often the worst of the worst.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts