WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Let's not forget about the terrorists' favorite
Along this line, I raise you with ISIS leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi aka Caliph Ibrahim.

For those who haven't followed the news, the above secretive ISIS leader made a first public appearance last summer. Some noted that he was wearing a steel Rolex model, but his spokesman denied that and claimed it was a sort of a Rolex copy that comes from a Middle East company.

Since I assume probably no one here on this site is planning a visit to Syria/Middle-Northern Iraq anytime soon, I guess we'll just have to take their word for it.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Along this line, I raise you with ISIS leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi aka Caliph Ibrahim.

For those who haven't followed the news, the above secretive ISIS leader made a first public appearance last summer. Some noted that he was wearing a steel Rolex model, but his spokesman denied that and claimed it was a sort of a Rolex copy that comes from a Middle East company.

Since I assume probably no one here on this site is planning a visit to Syria/Middle-Northern Iraq anytime soon, I guess we'll just have to take their word for it.
Well good. Now we can add "possession of counterfeit goods" to his list of crimes. LOL I wonder if it'll be him or his estate that has to be sued in connection with that offense? <wink>

All the best.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Let's not forget about the terrorists' favorite
Just goes to show you not everyone who has a lot of money is actually concerned with showing off that fact. ;-)

All the best.

Reactions: hantms

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Well good. Now we can add "possession of counterfeit goods" to his list of crimes. LOL I wonder if it'll be him or his estate that has to be sued in connection with that offense? <wink>

All the best.
Actually i I should have been a bit more careful in what I said about Mr. Bakr's choice of watch and the story about it, not that I care to defend the reputation of such an unsavoury character. No one said Rolex copy or even "homage"....

But in fact, his supporters allege that he was wearing a watch from a Saudi brand called AL-FAJR. Their watches have various design aspects or features meant to appeal to an Islamic market like digital timers set for regular prayer times. One of their models is a stainless steel watch and band which looks similar to Rolex's sports models like an Explorer I.

Its a slightly odd story that even got reported in CNN.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Actually i I should have been a bit more careful in what I said about Mr. Bakr's choice of watch and the story about it, not that I care to defend the reputation of such an unsavoury character. No one said Rolex copy or even "homage"....

But in fact, his supporters allege that he was wearing a watch from a Saudi brand called AL-FAJR. Their watches have various design aspects or features meant to appeal to an Islamic market like digital timers set for regular prayer times. One of their models is a stainless steel watch and band which looks similar to Rolex's sports models like an Explorer I.

Its a slightly odd story that even got reported in CNN.
Well, now. There's something I didn't expect to discover from this thread and that I certainly didn't know exists. Your comment made me curious to learn more about these Al-Fajr watches. I didn't even know there is a watchmaker in Saudi Arabia.

Low and behold, there is indeed such a thing. (ALFAJR | About us)

A complication that tracks the occasions of Salat seems rather complicated. I can see how it can be done digitally. I'd bet that must be a very hard thing to accomplish mechanically. I suspect a watchmaker that achieves that would make a mint selling them to "posh" Muslims.

Perhaps, building complications that track various religiously important times and dates is a new opportunity for the likes of the world's great watchmakers. There is certainly no dearth of dates and times of day that are important to scores of religions.

I know that Roman Catholicism has two things akin to, but predating, the Salat called the Breviary and Liturgy of Hours. Given the long standing relationship between the Swiss and the Catholic church, along with the wealth of that Church, I'm sure some enterprising Swiss watchmakers could convince the Vatican to bestow upon ordination as priests/bishops, or being named to the consistory, a fine, mechanical alarm watch that tracks the Breviary/Liturgy of Hours. (Of course someone would have to make one first.)

Liturgy of Hours (Roman Catholic)

Praying the Liturgy of St. James (Eastern Orthodox and other, non-Roman, Eastern varieties of Catholicism)

Given the elaborate nature of stuff that the Catholic Church owns and participates in, I'd think a highly complicated watch would be in keeping with the character of that organization. The Medici Popes would have totally gotten "into" the idea of a fancy watch for tracking the times at which they needed to pray.

Grieb & Benzinger have attempted to court Arabic clientele. Perhaps they are well positioned to take their commitment to the next level by offering something that is more than just a different alphabet on the dial.

I don't know what success G&B have had. I imagine pretty good though as there're a lot of oil rich folks who have very little "new and different" stuff to spend their money on. LOL I mean really, homes, planes, cars, boats, harems, islands etc. get boring after a while, right?

All the best.

His sudden mad love for Sibyl Vane was a psychological phenomenon of no small interest. There was no doubt that curiosity had much to do with it, curiosity and the desire for new experiences; yet it was not a simple but rather a very complex passion.
― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG, Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial Sapphire 3861
4,077 Posts
So where the Bolsheviks stole the money? :)
That was before the revolution.
Part of the money was obtained through the so-called expropriations, ie robberies of banks and government agencies. By the way, Stalin was one of the organizers of this activity.
And the other part - donations of workers and even some businessmen, which Lenin called "useful idiots."

Now you know how to buy Moser :)

·
Premium Member
75,312 Posts
You guys know how I'm always banging on about Oris? Well an ex dictator from Iraq rather liked his watches and had some specially made with his mug on the dial so he could dish them out as gifts. Rumour has it that he wore one too from time to time.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Charles Manson wants to wear a watch. LOL

Charles Manson follower accused of trying to smuggle phone to cult leader - CNN.com

A follower of Charles Manson accused of attempting to smuggle a cell phone to the notorious cult leader has been arrested, California prison officials said Tuesday.

Craig Hammond was allegedly caught with a wristwatch cell phone while being searched Sunday at Corcoran State Prison ahead of a planned visit with Manson, said Terry Thornton, spokeswoman for the California Department of Corrections.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts

I was......But I'm not...:-x..:-x..o|
Saying any thing...

21 - 40 of 95 Posts