WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I've got an entry-level high-end question for you more knowledgeable people.

I wear a Rolex Milgauss as my every-day watch at work, and I'm looking to have a similar alternative. I went out and looked around and saw a couple watches which were nice, but they're ones I know little about. One was the Vacheron Constantin Overseas (black dial, chronograph). The other was the Breguet Marine Big Date.

I doubt either has all that much cachet as watch aficionado watches, but they're both pretty nice. I think I lean towards the Breguet; its dial is really quite nice, and I like the hands and numerals. The VC has an outstanding bracelet, but I'm not as jazzed about it. I have tried to research the movements: as far as I can tell, the VC is a Piguet movement, not so sure about the movement in the Breguet.

Any thoughts, or suggestions about similar watches maybe in a similar price ballpark? I guess I want nice + serviceable, you have a tiny idea of my taste. :)

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

Edited because I said chronometer and actually mean chronograph. Doh!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Hi Stuart, good choices. Both use a F. Piguet movement.
I own the Breguet Marine Big Date and the VC Chrono Overseas " Deep Stream"
image.jpg
image.jpg

In your dilemma, I would go with the Breguet. I think Overseas better choices are the dual time or the Chrono. I think the Breguet is a better choice than the basic Overseas. If you put it next to the more complicated overseas then is a different discussion.
Just my 0.02 cts
Good luck:-!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am kinda leaning towards the Breguet, but the Overseas *is* the chronometer model, not the simpler one. I kinda thought the pushes for the chronometer felt... Fragile.

Thanks for your input, Jorge!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I am kinda leaning towards the Breguet, but the Overseas *is* the chronometer model, not the simpler one. I kinda thought the pushes for the chronometer felt... Fragile.

Thanks for your input, Jorge!
Hey Stuart, Chronometer is a term to indicate accuaracy of the watch. What you are trying to say is a Chronograph, totally different.
Regards

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shoot, you're right, of course. I wonder why I keep saying it.

ChronoGRAPH. The pushes for the chronograph felt fragile to me, was what I meant to say.

Stuart

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
You can look it from a functional aspect, and ask yourself if you really need the Chronograph complication. Or if you go by looks only then ask yourself guilloché vs Monochrome dial. As far as the bracelet I am probably in the minority but I don't like the overseas bracelet so I went for the Croc version (comes with an extra rubber strap)
Good dilemma:-d

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, since I have you on the line, let me ask you a couple questions. And let me say, also, I love the dial on your Overseas. Very nice!

Two questions on the Breguet, one applies to both. How is that movement in the Breguet? It sounds like a very nice one. I can't remember how Breguet gussied it up, but from what I've read at least spec-wise it's ver' nahss.

Also, a noob Breguet question. What does the number on the face mean? Yours has "2410" on it, but I know that's not even Breguet's model number for the watch. I know, I'm a noob. Is it "just" a production number?

Stuart

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
OK, since I have you on the line, let me ask you a couple questions. And let me say, also, I love the dial on your Overseas. Very nice!

Two questions on the Breguet, one applies to both. How is that movement in the Breguet? It sounds like a very nice one. I can't remember how Breguet gussied it up, but from what I've read at least spec-wise it's ver' nahss.

Also, a noob Breguet question. What does the number on the face mean? Yours has "2410" on it, but I know that's not even Breguet's model number for the watch. I know, I'm a noob. Is it "just" a production number?

Stuart
The Breguet has F. Piguet 1150 with a FP69 large date module added.
the number that Breguet puts on the dial is just their production number.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The Breguet has F. Piguet 1150 with a FP69 large date module added.
the number that Breguet puts on the dial is just their production number.
As Jorge described, the base calibre and large date module come from its sister Swatchgroup company Blancpain but the are custom decorated by Breguet (e.g. Like the rotor and engravings etc.). The stylized nautilus shaped rotor reduces by ~ 7% from the base movements normal performance (70 hours) with a full rotor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Any ideas of similar watches that would have in-house movements?

I'm looking for something simple, elegant, sturdy on a metal bracelet.

Stuart

·
Registered
260 Posts
I actually digging the VC. I prefer sporty watch

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the recs, I'm looking at them!

I'm looking specifically for something that'll look good on a metal bracelet and won't be super high profile (meaning not too thick), which is what drew me to the Breguet and VC models with pics above. The Breguet bracelet is also unique, quite different from the VC bracelet.

Stuart

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Perhaps a Blancpain Leman Ultra Slim Grand Date?

Yeah, the VC has a super nice bracelet. The Breguet looks really quite different on a bracelet, also nice but yes, less sporty.

Stuart
You might like this....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, that's very nice. A good friend has that one on the natural rubber strap.

I imagine same internals as the Breguet big date.

Stuart

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have that on rubber too - would hugely prefer the X-71 bracelet but they are scarce or hugely expensive. Not identical internals though - BP reserves the 100 hour reserve for only their watches.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have that on rubber too - would hugely prefer the X-71 bracelet but they are scarce or hugely expensive. Not identical internals though - BP reserves the 100 hour reserve for only their watches.
No, its 70 hour power reserve. The 100 hour power reserve on the older models using he FP1150 where operating at 21,600 bph but at 28,800 bph the power reserve is reduced. The difference between the BP and Breguet 517GG is the rotor design. The Breguet is beautiful but less efficient.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts