WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently trying to decide if I want to pursue an entry level watch from the holy trinity or a mid range watch from a mainstream luxury brand.

Specifically I'm thinking about a Gen 1 Vacheron Constantin Overseas time only 37mm or a Rolex Milgauss (black dial, clear crystal). These watches roughly occupy the same price bracket but are vastly different. My heart says go for the Vacheron but my brain says get the Rolex. My main concern is the fragility of the VC. I don't beat on my watches but I also don't want to be paranoid wearing them out of the house. I'm also concerned the 37mm case may wear too small on my 7.5" wrist.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm currently trying to decide if I want to pursue an entry level watch from the holy trinity or a mid range watch from a mainstream luxury brand.
I don't think VC makes any entry level watches ;)

I would think buy whatever you likes the most. Yes the Milgauss will better hold it's value under the current environment, but since you're thinking about a Gen 1 VC overseas, the initial big depreciation has already happened. So it's unlikely you'll lose a really big chunk of money if you decide to sell it few years down the road.

I don't think fragility of the VC is something you need to worry about, given your typical usage, as long as you don't expose it to G-Shock level activities.

·
Registered
942 Posts
The perpetuation of the myth that all watches that aren't Rolex, Seiko or Casio are fragile really makes my head spin sometimes. Unless you're trying to make a quick buck, always go with what your heart says within the context of the watch hobby. If you truly want the VC, if you end up getting the Rolex, you'll still end up wanting to buy the VC.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
The perpetuation of the myth that all watches that aren't Rolex, Seiko or Casio are fragile really makes my head spin sometimes. Unless you're trying to make a quick buck, always go with what your heart says within the context of the watch hobby. If you truly want the VC, if you end up getting the Rolex, you'll still end up wanting to buy the VC.
Came here to say exactly that. Most brand that make more than 1-200 watches a year do shock protection testing. Rolex doesn't have any magical sauce that makes their timpieces extra-durable.

Will a gen 1 VCO be not as durable than a modern Milgauss? Sure. But I can't imagine day to day wear putting enough abuse on either one. Whether or not 37mm wears too small for you is another discussion.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Fair enough. I guess I'm more thinking about the cost to service more than the fragility itself. Like if something were to happen I'm sure it would be more than a Rolex. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wonder which one is easier to sell if you ever change your mind. :)

Personally if it were me, I'd be too curious to not try the VC.

·
Premium Member
61,773 Posts
Any watchmaker who made watches that had to be wrapped in cotton wool would have gone bust years ago.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Overseas. Big fan. But I can't help but feel the 37mm will be too diminutive on a 7.5" wrist. I have a roughly 7 1/8" wrist and I think a 37mm Overseas is still too small for me. If I was in your shoes I'd bide my time for, say, the 41mm 4500V, because I assume the main reason you're considering the 37mm is because it's within the budget that allows for this comparison? Digressing, so between these two it'd have to be the Milgauss for me.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Fair enough. I guess I'm more thinking about the cost to service more than the fragility itself. Like if something were to happen I'm sure it would be more than a Rolex. Thanks for the advice.
I have no doubt that the VC will cost more to service as it is a higher end movement (even though it is just a 3 hander like the Milgauss), but that comes with the territory of buying such a watch.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
@kritameth has a valid question on why 37 mm - if you can wait / get a bigger dial on VC, that is what I would suggest. Rolex is everywhere, I prefer to have the VC which is a "rarer" watch.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I don't think VC makes any entry level watches ;)

I would think buy whatever you likes the most. Yes the Milgauss will better hold it's value under the current environment, but since you're thinking about a Gen 1 VC overseas, the initial big depreciation has already happened. So it's unlikely you'll lose a really big chunk of money if you decide to sell it few years down the road.

I don't think fragility of the VC is something you need to worry about, given your typical usage, as long as you don't expose it to G-Shock level activities.
I think OP was referring to entry level VC, not on the general level.

·
Registered
29,261 Posts
The VC Overseas is most certainly on my "grail" list.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
VC all day long, however I don't think I'd go for a 37mm. I'd look at maybe go up a tier in size, obviously that would be a significant increase percent wise of the Milguass. Personally think it's worth it if this will be a "grail" type purchase. I wouldn't worry about fragility on either.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
OP: screw everyone and just get the one you want.

Reactions: Lcater95

·
Registered
885 Posts
The overseas is not fragile by any means.

besides, it’s supposed to be a sports watch. Not sure if the gen 1 also has the easy change strap mechanism that the latest version has.

i’d pick overseas over milgauss.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
VC all day long, however I don't think I'd go for a 37mm. I'd look at maybe go up a tier in size, obviously that would be a significant increase percent wise of the Milguass. Personally think it's worth it if this will be a "grail" type purchase. I wouldn't worry about fragility on either.
I honestly think the difference in price could delay such a purchase at least another two years. Right now the 37mm is probably 6 months away. I guess I could always trade in for the 40mm Gen 2 Chrono when/if the time comes...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Specifically I'm thinking about a Gen 1 Vacheron Constantin Overseas time only 37mm or a Rolex Milgauss (black dial, clear crystal). These watches roughly occupy the same price bracket but are vastly different. My heart says go for the Vacheron but my brain says get the Rolex. My main concern is the fragility of the VC. I don't beat on my watches but I also don't want to be paranoid wearing them out of the house. I'm also concerned the 37mm case may wear too small on my 7.5" wrist.

Thoughts?
View attachment 15373664
Love the dial, but that bezel is a dog. Surely there are nicer looking VCs out there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts

Thoughts?
Without having read any other responses, my gut reaction is that you haven't tried either watch on in the metal (else you wouldn't be raising concerns regarding whether the VC would be too small), and I would say that this is something that you really need to try to do, for the amount of cash you are preparing to outlay. I've done this and have regretted doing it. Looking back, there are watches that I wish I'd paid for a plane ticket, flown out, checked out the watch in question, and flown home that night, costing me only a long day and air fare...versus the five figures I've spent on a watch.

But assuming you find them equally pleasing, which do you choose? The head says the Rolex for the trusted durability and value retention for professional models. The heart says the VC for the cachet and finishing. If you can't choose which one you'll enjoy more, choose the Rolex and see if your mind is settled with your decision; if it isn't, then you know your answer.

Regards,
Alysandir

1 - 20 of 65 Posts