WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
I would say the VC but that is going to be really small of your wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm currently trying to decide if I want to pursue an entry level watch from the holy trinity or a mid range watch from a mainstream luxury brand.

Specifically I'm thinking about a Gen 1 Vacheron Constantin Overseas time only 37mm or a Rolex Milgauss (black dial, clear crystal). These watches roughly occupy the same price bracket but are vastly different. My heart says go for the Vacheron but my brain says get the Rolex. My main concern is the fragility of the VC. I don't beat on my watches but I also don't want to be paranoid wearing them out of the house. I'm also concerned the 37mm case may wear too small on my 7.5" wrist.

Thoughts?
37mm is not too small for 7.5" wrists in my opinion. We are talking watches here, not Shoes. You are not going to get blisters on your wrist if the watch case is 37mm. It is all about your style. Do you want your watch to be the first thing they notice about you, then go with a larger watch. If you want them to notice your tie, wear a Bow tie or a Bolo. If you just want a cool watch that tells you the time, then a 37mm watch will do the trick.

And, another point that nobody ever mentions. Integrated bracelets on a watch make the case size irrelavent in my 7.5" wrist opinion. Integrated bracelets have more of a jewelry aura about them and the way the braclet conforms into the watch makes it less tool and more fashion (not in the bad fashion way) and style.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Without having read any other responses, my gut reaction is that you haven't tried either watch on in the metal (else you wouldn't be raising concerns regarding whether the VC would be too small), and I would say that this is something that you really need to try to do, for the amount of cash you are preparing to outlay. I've done this and have regretted doing it. Looking back, there are watches that I wish I'd paid for a plane ticket, flown out, checked out the watch in question, and flown home that night, costing me only a long day and air fare...versus the five figures I've spent on a watch.

But assuming you find them equally pleasing, which do you choose? The head says the Rolex for the trusted durability and value retention for professional models. The heart says the VC for the cachet and finishing. If you can't choose which one you'll enjoy more, choose the Rolex and see if your mind is settled with your decision; if it isn't, then you know your answer.

Regards,
Alysandir

Very good advice. Thank you!

·
Registered
685 Posts
The Gen 1 Overseas models just don't do anything for me, particularly because Vacheron hadn't begun using the bracelet with the Maltese Cross links. Of these two options, Rolex. If you can swing the budget a little more, consider a Gen 2 Overseas.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have almost 7" wrist and I sometimes wear my vintage 22mm square watch that almost wears like a 30mm circle. If you really want the VC, then go for it.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
From what I’m reading - you’d like the larger VC, but the cost is currently a bit prohibitive vs the smaller model.

If you want something now, I’d probably go Rolex for the larger size and value retention and then continue saving. If you still want the VC once you’ve saved the remainder plus Rolex sale, go for it!

In the meantime, you’ll have a great watch that should hold its value pretty well for a future trade / sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,859 Posts
I have a 42mm second generation Vacheron Constantin Overseas, and this is how it looks on my 6.75" wrist. I think it fits quite well, and this is a consequence of the lugless integrated bracelet design of the watch, so the effective lug-to-lug of the watch is very compact. With that in mind, the first generation VC Overseas on your wrist might be a bit too small as a consequence.

·
Registered
223 Posts
37 mm does sound a bit compact on your wrist. I'm biased towards the crown but in this scenario my main concern would be the size of the VC.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I honestly think the difference in price could delay such a purchase at least another two years. Right now the 37mm is probably 6 months away. I guess I could always trade in for the 40mm Gen 2 Chrono when/if the time comes...
If what you really want is the bigger, newer VC overseas, then the one you posted may just end up feeling like a placeholder.

If your intention is to save for that bigger one and buy one of these two in the interim, then I'd go for the Rolex as it'll be easy to resell and get your money out of it when the time comes.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm currently trying to decide if I want to pursue an entry level watch from the holy trinity or a mid range watch from a mainstream luxury brand.

Specifically I'm thinking about a Gen 1 Vacheron Constantin Overseas time only 37mm or a Rolex Milgauss (black dial, clear crystal). These watches roughly occupy the same price bracket but are vastly different. My heart says go for the Vacheron but my brain says get the Rolex. My main concern is the fragility of the VC. I don't beat on my watches but I also don't want to be paranoid wearing them out of the house. I'm also concerned the 37mm case may wear too small on my 7.5" wrist.

Thoughts?
At these price points, what you get need to make you VERY happy to be worth it. The Rolex might "make sense" in the sense that if you decide you don't want it it will be easier to sell and if you break it it may be cheaper (or covered by the warranty) to have it fixed. You know what's even easier to monetize? The cash you paid for it! You're worried about breaking it, buy a $50 Timex. Buying watches at this price point shouldn't be tainted by ridiculous justifications: it's a $9 000 piece of man-bling that mostly serves to show the world you have $9 000 to spend on man-bling (as a bonus, it also tells you what time it is!) Don't buy it because it "makes sense", buy it because you crave it. Because you can't stop thinking about it. Because you desire it even though you know you don't really "need" it. Conspicuous consumption is to be enjoyed, save the logic for when you're re-financing your mortgage (which you will be doing if you embrace this philosophy).

Judging exclusively by your very brief arguments, it sounds like you DESIRE the VC and the Rolex just look good on the spreadsheet. But I could be reading you wrong. If you love the Rolex and want it more than any other thing your money will get you, get it! But if you desire the VC, don't let stuff like "cost of service" discourage you, because as I have previously mentioned, you're about to spend $9 000 on man-bling. Sense have already left the equation.

As for size, 75 years ago men wore watches in the 34-36mm range. And those were men who would get up at 4am to march in the pre-dawn gloom to jobs such as milling steel, paving streets, wrestling bears or punching ****s in the face. Hard, honest work that required lots of upper body strength. No one pointed out their watches were small... well, cept maybe the ****s and look how that went for them!

Clearly, if you want a larger watch, that model of VC isn't for you. The trend today is towards larger watches, and if you want to be on trend (or just like the look of a larger watch) 37mm may not be the size for you. But this modern obsession with watches being "too small" has gotten a bit strange. They're not, as someone said, shoes.

·
Premium Member
20,859 Posts
At these price points, what you get need to make you VERY happy to be worth it. The Rolex might "make sense" in the sense that if you decide you don't want it it will be easier to sell and if you break it it may be cheaper (or covered by the warranty) to have it fixed. You know what's even easier to monetize? The cash you paid for it! You're worried about breaking it, buy a $50 Timex. Buying watches at this price point shouldn't be tainted by ridiculous justifications: it's a $9 000 piece of man-bling that mostly serves to show the world you have $9 000 to spend on man-bling (as a bonus, it also tells you what time it is!) Don't buy it because it "makes sense", buy it because you crave it. Because you can't stop thinking about it. Because you desire it even though you know you don't really "need" it. Conspicuous consumption is to be enjoyed, save the logic for when you're re-financing your mortgage (which you will be doing if you embrace this philosophy).

Judging exclusively by your very brief arguments, it sounds like you DESIRE the VC and the Rolex just look good on the spreadsheet. But I could be reading you wrong. If you love the Rolex and want it more than any other thing your money will get you, get it! But if you desire the VC, don't let stuff like "cost of service" discourage you, because as I have previously mentioned, you're about to spend $9 000 on man-bling. Sense have already left the equation.

As for size, 75 years ago men wore watches in the 34-36mm range. And those were men who would get up at 4am to march in the pre-dawn gloom to jobs such as milling steel, paving streets, wrestling bears or punching ****s in the face. Hard, honest work that required lots of upper body strength. No one pointed out their watches were small... well, cept maybe the ****s and look how that went for them!

Clearly, if you want a larger watch, that model of VC isn't for you. The trend today is towards larger watches, and if you want to be on trend (or just like the look of a larger watch) 37mm may not be the size for you. But this modern obsession with watches being "too small" has gotten a bit strange. They're not, as someone said, shoes.
I think the issue is that the OP desires a VC Overseas, but not really a 1st generation VC Overseas, I would suggest waiting until he can afford at least the 2nd generation version.

·
Premium Member
20,859 Posts
37mm is not too small for 7.5" wrists in my opinion. We are talking watches here, not Shoes. You are not going to get blisters on your wrist if the watch case is 37mm. It is all about your style. Do you want your watch to be the first thing they notice about you, then go with a larger watch. If you want them to notice your tie, wear a Bow tie or a Bolo. If you just want a cool watch that tells you the time, then a 37mm watch will do the trick.

And, another point that nobody ever mentions. Integrated bracelets on a watch make the case size irrelavent in my 7.5" wrist opinion. Integrated bracelets have more of a jewelry aura about them and the way the braclet conforms into the watch makes it less tool and more fashion (not in the bad fashion way) and style.
A Vacheron Constantin Overseas is a high-end luxury sports watch, and as such, it should err on the side of being bigger instead of smaller.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Judging by vintage watches, how did so many men get by with 34-36 mm diameter back in the olden days? Were men just smaller back then?

No, I don't think 37 mm is too small if you like the watch.
But that's fashion. It changes. Men also don't wear bowler hats or fedoras or suit vests unless they come from Brooklyn.

OP, if the 41mm is about money, I wouldn't compromise on the size. The 37 would always feel like a substitute. If the Milgauss stands on its own in a price point that you can manage, that would be the way to go. Or examine options for your budget and find an alternative option for a steel sports watch.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I have a 42mm second generation Vacheron Constantin Overseas, and this is how it looks on my 6.75" wrist. I think it fits quite well, and this is a consequence of the lugless integrated bracelet design of the watch, so the effective lug-to-lug of the watch is very compact. With that in mind, the first generation VC Overseas on your wrist might be a bit too small as a consequence.

View attachment 15374110
That looks perfect on your wrist. As for the OP.. I have 7.4 flat wrists and a 37mm would look tiny.. but then again, that is in the eye of the wearer. Do you.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
In the interest of throwing out options that hold on their own in terms of design...I look at the Tonda Metrograph and I see a more coherent and modernized take than the older VCO models at a much lower price point. Or the Piaget Polo S.

Of course, short term resale value will go to the Rolex.

·
Registered
368 Posts

Thoughts?
View attachment 15373664
So, I guess I'm outing myself a bit here, but I can give some insight. I worked as a watchmaker for Vacheron for several years, so know these watches inside and out. This generation uses a Girard Perregaux base caliber, which is an excellent movement. Very reliable, long service intervals, 50 hour power reserve, and thin... I much prefer it to the JLC movement used in the OVS II models. Do note that your options for straps are limited, if not impossible. The case and bracelet should only be refinished by Vacheron, otherwise you risk ruining the integrity of the case shape forever. These wear more like a slightly larger watch, partially due to the case shape and integrated bracelet. Make sure to get detailed pictures of the condition of the case, dial and hands... these dials could start peeling if handled improperly, and the hands are frequently damaged by careless watchmakers. You can message me privately if you have other questions. It's a great watch, one I'd love to have at some point in the future.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Very well put thank you. I think what I'll do is try and find a 37mm watch locally to tey on and if that fails I may try to model and 3D print one. Just to give me a sense of the dimensions.

Very good advice overall. This hobby certainly isn't a logical one.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts